• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Oscar Thread

my dad's in the academy (as a producer) but is older and his health is not good so he was unable to watch the films this year. as a result i got to send his nomination ballot in and will also do the voting for the awards now. accepting bribes....

was also hoping Moonrise Kingdom would get nominated. some other thoughts: The Master was terrible. total emperor's new clothes. i mean i get that the performances were impressive but overall the film was painful and totally undigestable. probably voting for Argo for best picture. would have liked to see Tarantino get a director's nod but that's probably b/c im a big fan more than how well directed Django was. Daniel Day Lewis is the biggest favorite of any of the major categories. still have to see Beasts of the Southern Wild so can't judge that one. also thought Zero Dark wasn't as intriguing or as well done as Hurtlocker. Life of Pi should win for directing in my opinion as it was the most impressive visual experience i've had in a long time.

overall not the most impressive group of films but a lot of really good ones.

Reactions: Go
Also with all of the golden globe noms Salmon Fishing in the Yemen got, is there a reason it didnt get any Oscar nods?

It is an excellent movie. One of its biggest lessons is that faith and religion can be independent.

This is the weekend I'm not sorry I moved from Beverly Hills. The Golden Globes really fuck up the entire neighborhood.

It is an excellent movie. One of its biggest lessons is that faith and religion can be independent.

This is the weekend I'm not sorry I moved from Beverly Hills. The Golden Globes really fuck up the entire neighborhood.

LOL. I think this needs to be your next book

Affleck winning is a huge surprise. With all the Russian hookers Tarrentino has fucked, I figured he'd have enough votes from them alone to win.

Glad Afleck won. It's probably a big fuck you to the academy for leaving him out. Argo was a great movie.

Sent from my iPhone

a really great year for film. I usually have a clear winner in mind each year but i can't pick this year.

good for ben affleck and argo.

This must be said: Homeland winning another Globe for best drama is just a travesty.

an even greater travesty was The Newsroom being nominated over the latest season of Mad Men, which was one of the show's better seasons.

an even greater travesty was The Newsroom being nominated over the latest season of Mad Men, which was one of the show's better seasons.

Agreed. Although I like The Newsroom far more than Homeland. I don't understand critics fascination with Homeland after season 2, unless they didn't even bother watching it.

You guys have to remember what a joke the Golden Globe voters are. Cabbies vote. People who write blogs in Africa or South America and work at fast food restaurants vote.

Wow Argo won best big picture!

I took my son to see Argo yesterday (he could earn extra credit in his World History class for seeing the movie and writing a short review of his thoughts about it). The movie was very well done. It brought a lot of memories back to me of that time (I was 10-11 years old during the Iran Hostage Crisis. It led the nightly news every evening and there were yellow ribbons around every tree in our U.S military neighborhood in Germany).

For some reason, Argo was not very well publicized in our area. I hadn't heard of it until my son asked me to take him to see it for school. I'm glad he did.

There's just nothing on TV right now that even comes close to touching Mad Men or Breaking Bad. Its a crock that Homeland keeps winning everything.

Other things learned from the Golden Globes:

- Jodie Foster is a lunatic
- Mel Gibson has a permanent "crazy face" stuck on his head
- Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper would have pretty babies
- Bill Clinton is probably the biggest "star" in the world - and he eats it up
- Tina Fey will always be Liz Lemon, so its weird when she gets all glammed up
- For pulling off such a daring operation, Tony Mendez has horrible stage presence

Yo, it's a joke of a group. As to Tony Mendez, this is 30+ years later. Plus his talent is dealing with people in person not on camera.

You guys have to remember what a joke the Golden Globe voters are. Cabbies vote. People who write blogs in Africa or South America and work at fast food restaurants vote.

how many voters are there. I heard that the Oscars have about 5400

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild last night. I like movies that take me somewhere I've never seen, and this certainly does that. Unique and powerful. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it really packs an emotional wallop and I definitely admire the fuck out of the writer/director Behn Zeitlin. I'd much rather award a movie like this than Lincoln.

Back