• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our New Offense: 5 Out Positionless Motion Offense

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
"One of my best friends in the business is Nick Nurse, the head coach of the Toronto Raptors. This summer we were spending a lot of time together and he convinced me that we should run 5-out motion, positionless basketball... and we ran it this year. I think it’s one of the reason’s why we were 30-4."

9 Rules of the 5 Out Motion Offense

1. Spread out along the perimeter
2. Catch ready to attack
3. Pass and basket cut
4. Always fill the 5 spaces
5. If the pass is denied, back cut
6. Pass and screen away
7. Pass and screen ball
8. If dribbled at, dribble hand off
9. Post ups must be quick

Blogger So Dear did an interesting article on the offense Forbes ran at ETSU. This offense looks really fun to watch and will change how we've been recruiting. This offense should be a dream for guards and wings.

https://www.bloggersodear.com/2020/...-and-the-5-out-motion-etsu-offense-basketball

https://www.coachbase.com/5-out-motion-offense-complete-guide/

I'll take a look at this later. But one of my takeaways from that quote and all of his interviews is that he's not wed to any particular style type of offense. He picks up things along the way and uses them as necessary. He gave the 5 out as an example of that. He discussed it with Nurse and ran it without having ran it before. He could talk to someone else this summer and trot out something different on the court.

Last edited:
having run a motion offense when I coached, I am sympathetic to such an offense

I would like to see how it works against a packline defense or a good zone

I'm no expert, obviously, but don't you really need real 3pt threats on the perimeter to make this successful? Have not followed our BB program of the last few years too close but do we have such players who can hit from the outside consistently?

Consistently? No. But we have some guys with potential to improve. And obviously he will recruit to fit his style.

Bobby Knight ran a variation of this to the NCAA championship. Need players too

Seems like this offense suits Neath really well. Very glad he’s coming back.

Might be tougher for Ody since he didn’t always have the best hands last year, but his motor is certainly built for the motion offense.

Sounds similar to the zone offense. Four zones in the front court. As soon as a team mate moved into your zone, you had to leave. The guy bringing the ball upcourt started the movement by choosing which occupied zone he would enter.

Wake will be much more interesting to watch next year.

Hard to believe players leave rather than play in this superior offense. Chaundee would have been perfect for this.

I'll take a look at this later. But one of my takeaways from that quote and all of his interviews is that he's not wed to any particularly style type of offense. He picks up things along the way and uses them as necessary. He gave the 5 out as an example of that. He discussed it with Nurse and ran it without having ran it before. He could talk to someone else this summer and trot out something different on the court.

This was my takeaway, as well.

I was super excited watching Bz's Colorado offense, but he didn't really bring that (and the rest of it sucked at Colorado and Wake, obv.). I remember quotes of his pre-first season, I think, talking about how he had been studying what Doc Rivers was doing with the Celtics. I don't think he ever quite implemented that right either, though, because, well, he was terrible (though right about the Cav v Ryan Kelly, crazily enough!).

Feel better about Forbes' chances.

Last edited:

Hard to believe players leave rather than play in this superior offense. Chaundee would have been perfect for this.

Sarr would have been a star in this set-up. He could have gotten 4-6 dunks/game on PnR on the wings and outside. His passing skills would have been a perfect fit. This offense could have guaranteed Sarr being a mid-low 1st Round pick.

Superior offense? Disagree with the comparison to whatever last year was. Certainly no structure at all. But yes. So much promise!

Doesn’t this offense mostly exclude PnR because you lose your spacing?

Sarr would have been a star in this set-up. He could have gotten 4-6 dunks/game on PnR on the wings and outside. His passing skills would have been a perfect fit. This offense could have guaranteed Sarr being a mid-low 1st Round pick.
There's no pick and roll in this offense.

You mean, we will actually have an offensive scheme? You don’t say.

Back