• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

We don't have enough money not to fire him. It costs us millions a year to keep him. Wellman and the BOT are lying to themselves and others saying we can't afford to fire [Redacted] or hire a top tier coach.

It's simple math.

Oh I agree completely.

You are assuming the AD found out about the increased revenue at the same time everyone else did when the info was released to the public. This assumption is extremely flawed, IMO.

I would be shocked if an increased revenue factor wasn't built into the AD budget based upon guidance of where the "final" per school take from the TV and bowl deals expected to be.

So a large % (if not 100%) of the increased revenue could already be earmarked for funding scholarships, capital projects, Joel purchase, paying down debt, etc.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as "our TV revenue increased by $4M so we can throw it all at Gregg Marshall!!!111"

It's possible that they would have known some of those numbers before hand. But it is not possible to have known all of them or the amounts they eventually increased by given how many renegotiations have occurred over a short amount of time. Remember there was the initial increase for the new tv deal, the increase for Pitt and Syracuse, the increase for Notre Dame, the surprise subtraction of Maryland and addition of Louisville, the increase for the GOR and the two million per school increase until an ACC network channel was established.

The college football play off pay out formula was just set last year. Most of the bowl deals were set last summer. Given the competition for each bowl site they could not be sure beforehand which ones we were guaranteed to keep and which ones would go with the Big Ten and SEC.

There are some new expenses that may or may not have been accounted for like an increase in tution and possible stipends for the athletes.

No one is saying "our tv deal" increased so spend it all on Marshall. We're saying that our tv deal increased, our bowl pay out increased and our college football play off check is in the mail. Combine that with however much we saved on Grobe and there should be enough money to offer a very good deal to our top targets.

Just to play it out, there are several reasons why Marshall to VT is not batshit crazy:

1. Gregg Marshall grew up and went to high school at Cave Spring in Roanoke County, less than an hour away and he still has family in the area. VT is literally the closest ACC job to his home town. That has nothing to do with LOWF syndrome. That's just a fact unique to Marshall.

2. Blacksburg and Montgomery County, with the growth of VT and related high-tech industries, has become a very nice place to live, a College Town atmosphere. Arguably as nice as Winston-Salem which, let's be honest, has been struggling for decades.

3. Yes VT has historically been a basketball coach's graveyard, but the same thing was generally true for VT football (Jerry Claiborne got out as soon as he could) when Frank Beamer took the job, and for the same reason: No stable conference affiliation, which was essential in the modern TV era. When VT got into the new Big East football league in the early 90s, their football program took off like a rocket and Beamer took advantage of that to turn VT into the national power they always wanted to be. Now VT basketball has the ACC affiliation and is only awaiting the right coach. If you believe that the main selling point of the Wake job is the chance to coach in the ACC (and it is), then that same thing now applies to VT.

4. As in football, there is a lot of talent in the state of Virginia and the VT coach has an entrée into every high school in Virginia, where every faculty and most coaching staffs include VT alumni. VT has a very large alumni base, a very large donor base, and a statewide following of non-alumni and intense media interest. They are in the process of building a brand new dedicated practice facility for basketball, something we desperately need and have no plans for.

I think it is probably a moot point, because most likely VT gives James Johnson another year, since he has had a real bad run of injuries this year and the players love him, but if the new AD does pull the trigger it's not LOWF to see Marshall giving the VT job serious consideration.

Oh, and I forgot a big advantage VT has over Wake: Ron Wellman is the Wake AD.

1. Cave Springs is 100 miles from Wake Forest's campus. Marshall is not going to take an inferior job to save himself an 30 minutes in the car.
2. The new coach doesn't need to live in Winston-Salem if he doesn't want to, there are plenty of Wake employees that commute in. But if he does live in Winston there are still some very nice areas for him to live if chooses to.
3. I don't believe the ACC is Wake's main selling in point. It is one of the selling points when talking about the ACC versus a mid-major conference, but we have our own advantages over a good portion of our own conference members.
4. Wake Forest has historically recruited Virginia very well, probably better than VT has. We also have better historical success in other rich recruiting grounds such as North Carolina, Atlanta, DC-Baltimore, etc...

I do think that VT's new AD is serious about basketball and may snatch up Ben Howland if we don't offer him. But at this point in time I don't see any non-VT alum choosing VT over Wake when it comes to basketball.

I think Wellman hires someone that's going to be more of a household name but hasn't been mentioned here. I also think it underwhelms.

I'll be shocked (no pun intended) if Gregg Marshall chooses to play for Ron Wellman. Same with Shaka Smart, who has already rejected UCLA, Illinois and NC State.

Should Va Tech fire James Johnson, I'd put a lot more money on the possibility that Gregg Marshall would take the Tech job over Wake's. He is from Roanoke, which is just 40 minutes away, and VT has a new athletic director whom Marshall might find far more congenial to play for than Wellman. Plus Tech could easily pay Marshall as much or more $$$ as we can, and Tech, as a state school, is far more like Wichita State than we are. And Marshall LOVES Wichita State.

Wellman may have no choice but to fire Bz in a couple of weeks, but everybody thinking there is a slam-dunk, press conference-winning hire out there just waiting for Ron to corral, is unrealistic. I think we end up with a mid-major coach, which won't command universal cheering, or Ron takes a flyer on Ben Howland, for the credentials (Final Four trips).

I really don't see Marshall to VT over Wake, but I could see a scenario where Wellman doesn't pursue Marshall and he gets his shot a the ACC at VT then proceeds to Tyrese Rice us for the next decade+.

I think Wellman hires someone that's going to be more of a household name but hasn't been mentioned here. I also think it underwhelms.

That would be difficult to do. It would have to be a high major coach that is probably close to getting canned like Kevin Stallings.

It's hard for me to see Marshall taking a VT or Clemson job. He turned a Big East job to go to Wichita State in the first place. If it's not a place he can compete, I think he waits until a better job opens elsewhere.

It's hard for me to see Marshall taking a VT or Clemson job. He turned a Big East job to go to Wichita State in the first place. If it's not a place he can compete, I think he waits until a better job opens elsewhere.

Which is why he won't be coming to Wake. Duh, Butthead!

That tells you something about their frame of mind when negotiating. Neither view their current jobs as destinations because they had to give something up to get those low buyouts. No one leaves money on the table just for the hell of it.

Hidden gem.

Has Derek Kellogg been mentioned? What's the consensus?

Haven't seen him mentioned, but I don't think Kellogg would be much of a candidate, if at all. Professionally, he just hasn't won enough; this is his 6th year as a head coach -- all at UMass -- and he has a .563 winning % and a 46-48 record in A-10 play. Personally, because he has so many connections to UMass, we'd likely have to overpay to hire him; he's from Springield, MA originally, and played college ball at UMass.

All in all, I think even RW with a limited budget could do a lot better.

Ben Howland has been mentioned several times. Who are you thinking of?

Wellman and Greenburg would be an unholy alliance.

Didn't Seth Greenberg call out Wellman a few years ago after VT kept on getting snubbed out of the NCAA Tournament.

Something along the lines of "someone on the selection committee DOES NOT WANT Virginia Tech in the NCAA Tournament"

Back