• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Including 3 ESPN Top 100 guys for 2014. Buzz has 1 ESPN Top 100 in 4 years. Unreal.

Good grief - every day, there is a new way that makes me realize that Bzz is more pitiful that I thought. Just when you think you understand his depth of incompetence, something else pops up to drive it home even more.

There is no way on God's. Green Earth that Shake Smart is the next coach at Wake Forest. How does that work exactly? UCLA? No thank you. Instead, I will get a further ramp up in salary and extension at my currentosition and hold out a few more years so I can toss it and go coach the at Wake Forest, with no players, no scholarships, and an apathetic and a fan base that dresses up like barnyard animals. Yes, this will happen.

There is no way on God's. Green Earth that Shake Smart is the next coach at Wake Forest. How does that work exactly? UCLA? No thank you. Instead, I will get a further ramp up in salary and extension at my currentosition and hold out a few more years so I can toss it and go coach the at Wake Forest, with no players, no scholarships, and an apathetic and a fan base that dresses up like barnyard animals. Yes, this will happen.

but maybe his brother SHAKA will come

Thinking about how I'd rank my previous COACHING PICKS from previous years in terms of how much I liked em at the time.

1. Mr. and Mrs. Enfield (2013) -- Bzz year 3
2. John Groce (2012) -- Bzz year 2
3. Mike White (2014) -- Bzz fired
4. John Groce (2010) -- Dino fired
5. Anthony Grant (2007) -- RIP Skip
6. Gregg Marshall (2006) -- Skip to Cincy rumors

I'd prob put my #2 realistic choice for this yr Masiello between Grant and Marshall

"Actually no, Shaka Smart was never seriously considered. That is a myth. Shaka at times said he was considered but he was not on the short list and UCLA never offered."

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_ba...pns-article-on-ucla-basketball-is-very-flawed

Ape Tit, if you really want Wellman to hire Mike White, you really need to take his name out of the subject line of this thread and stop talking him up. There is no way Wellman hires this boards' consensus choice. Never forget how much he hates each and every one of you and quietly prays every night for your violent death. I'll bet he'd rather cut his own dick and balls off than hire someone who would give you any amount of satisfaction. Just the very fact that you brought up his name will make him scoff and reflexively scratch that name off the list.

Ape Tit, if you really want Wellman to hire Mike White, you really need to take his name out of the subject line of this thread and stop talking him up. There is no way Wellman hires this boards' consensus choice. Never forget how much he hates each and every one of you and quietly prays every night for your violent death. I'll bet he'd rather cut his own dick and balls off than hire someone who would give you any amount of satisfaction. Just the very fact that you brought up his name will make him scoff and reflexively scratch that name off the list.

lol

In addition to the pos rep I just awarded to Say Hey for this post, I'll don my serious pants and annoyingly re-supply my opinion that there is simply no way RW hires a 37-year old with 3 years of HC experience.

Last edited:
Totally true though. It's like that Jonah Hill scene in "This is the End."

200_s.gif

I will admit, part of me wonders whether, once you rule out the obvious donks, it's really more a matter of how lucky you are that some awesome HS kid grew up in your geographic area. How would we think about Skip Prosser if Chris Paul hadn't been for Lewisville or Josh Howard from Winston? I mean, people bang on guys like Brad Brownell, but Brownell kicked fucking ass at UNC-W and Wright State. The dude can coach basketball. He hasn't lit the world on fire at Clemson, but how much of that is due to Brownell versus the fact that Clemson is Clemson and there hasn't been a Chris Paul who went to HS in Clemson? If you put Brad Brownell at Wake and Chris Paul had graduated from West Forsyth in 2012, how well would he be doing here? To me, it seems like that's such a huge part of it and it's basically just luck and circumstance.

Anyway, heavy question, totally out of place on this thread, but just something I think about from time to time when I hear people bitching about Brownell or Mark Turgeon or other coaches who had big time success at other stops, but aren't tearing it up at their current school.

I will admit, part of me wonders whether, once you rule out the obvious donks, it's really more a matter of how lucky you are that some awesome HS kid grew up in your geographic area. How would we think about Skip Prosser if Chris Paul hadn't been for Lewisville or Josh Howard from Winston? I mean, people bang on guys like Brad Brownell, but Brownell kicked fucking ass at UNC-W and Wright State. The dude can coach basketball. He hasn't lit the world on fire at Clemson, but how much of that is due to Brownell versus the fact that Clemson is Clemson and there hasn't been a Chris Paul who went to HS in Clemson? If you put Brad Brownell at Wake and Chris Paul had graduated from West Forsyth in 2012, how well would he be doing here? To me, it seems like that's such a huge part of it and it's basically just luck and circumstance.

Anyway, heavy question, totally out of place on this thread, but just something I think about from time to time when I hear people bitching about Brownell or Mark Turgeon or other coaches who had big time success at other stops, but aren't tearing it up at their current school.

part is luck, but recruiting is part of being a good coach. we wouldn't have been great with cp3 and a bunch of [Redacted] recruits. skip also brought in justin gray, eric williams, trent strickland the year before.

for a wake forest or clemson to be a contender, then you need to be a good coach and get a little luck.

but we have had a bunch of stud recruits in the greater winston area that [Redacted] hasn't even sniffed. skip would be knee deep in harry giles recruiting.

i feel like a kid whose dad is negotiating an arranged marriage for him. absolutely no control over who the choice is, but the expectation is that i will embrace it 100%

Seth DavisVerified account
‏@SethDavisHoops
Howland would be in the mix RT @LbrarianBooker: who are some coaching options for Wake when [Redacted] inevitably gets canned?

‏@SethDavisHoops
Howland would be in the mix RT @LbrarianBooker: who are some coaching options for Wake when [Redacted] inevitably gets canned?

I saw that TITSWF/BloggerSoDear RT'd that and it got me pretty excited. Howland would be an outstanding hire IMO.

It's always hard to tell whether analysts and insiders think someone would be in the mix for ANY opening or think someone would be in the mix for that specific position based on rumors/knowledge of how the program works/etc...

‏@SethDavisHoops

Smart or Marshall aside, this would be my choice. We need "star power" in a coach--I could care less about the baggage that may or may not be true from his time at UCLA. I guarantee that overnight we would suddenly be considered by elite level talent that otherwise wouldn't allow Buzz to sniff their jocks. Wellman could have this deal done now if he wanted...

Ben Howland is 56, and had completely lost touch with his team when he left UCLA (please read the SI article about his demise). At best, Howland is a short term solution and clearly has seen his best days as a coach. So, should WF go after Rollie Massimino since he has a NC? WF has had enough 50 something hires of coaches that are on the down-side. I really fear a Howland hire more than any of the speculated targets (as he so clearly fits a Wellman hire: older coach with a track record; "safe" hire). Would hate that hire, and would guess that WF basketball would be, at best, a mediocre program in 4-5 years when it looks for Howland's replacement.

It's always hard to tell whether analysts and insiders think someone would be in the mix for ANY opening or think someone would be in the mix for that specific position based on rumors/knowledge of how the program works/etc...

Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was saying this because he heard we were looking at him/Howland was interested or he was just throwing out possibilities because he thinks he's a good coach.

I would be happy with Howland given my assumptions that (i) neither Smart nor Marshall will accept the HC position, even if we offered it to them, and (ii) Wellman will not even pursue White, Masiello, Miller, or any of the "hot" up-and-coming mid-major coaches mentioned on this thread. Stated differently, I would take Howland because I expect the decision will be between Howland and someone like Russell Turner or Dave Paulsen, as opposed to between Howland and Marshall or Smart.

Back