• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Not saying they wouldn't be successful here, but the White/Masiello/Miller tier is wayyy riskier than Howland. #HowlandIN. Man's resume speaks for itself. Fuck all the haders.

Lonergan: GW is probably in the Dayton range in terms of solid mid-major, and he's done OK with recruiting. He's signed a few 3* players, but he's also done well with foreign players. The best kids on his teams, though, were local kids who went high D1 and then transferred back home. If you give props to a coach for assembling a diverse, yet talented roster by any means necessary, he's done a very solid job getting productive kids to GW.

I like Bryce Drew in the random 7-10 spot on our list.

I would take Howland over most of the middle tier names, but I just don't see it happening.

Lonergan isn't exciting enough to some folks here. Hell, I'm not excited by him. But he has a Clawsonesque track record at Vermont and GW and took over a pretty darn bad GW program. That's why I have him in the acceptable tier 3 group and think more highly of him than some others here do.

If you went back through old threads from December, quite a few folks around here were "meh" on Clawson (especially vis-a-vis Lembo), and that sentiment just completely vanished after the press conference. I wonder if Lonergan was hired if you'd see the same thing -- don't know how his personality plays in real life, other than he sounds like Matt Seracen which is amazing.

On paper, Lonergan seems like a winner. Despite having 21 years of head coaching experience, he's only 48 (a year and a half older than Clawson). Won a D3 National Title at Catholic and won their league for 7 straight years. Finished 1st or 2nd at Vermont in 4 of 6 years there. Turned around GW and will have them in the NCAAT this year. Assisted Gary Williams for a year.

That's the type of resume I think Wellman goes for. All due respect to White, Miller and the Italian guy, I don't think Wellman will go for a dude with 3 years of HC experience. Through the previous coaching searches in basketball and football, Wellman has never had one of those young guys on any of his rumored short lists.

Also, this dude just kind of looks like a Wake Forest basketball coach:

Mike-Lonergan_UP_JMC_2011-4916-C_460x200.jpg

Of course, he's another guy who is from the area and is basically coaching in his hometown where he has family, elderly parents, children, etc, so not sure how that factors in.

Some of you would seriously take an up and coming mid major guy over a man who went to 3 straight Final Fours? Just think for a second how dumb that sounds. And before you say, well, it was UCLA. Well shit, he must be a pretty damn good coach to be the coach of UCLA in the first place! Even at a prestigious school like UCLA, 3 straight Final Fours is 3 straight Final Fours, never mind the numerous other times he made the Tourney. Look how quickly he turned around Pitt. I want a guy with a proven track record, not potential. I'm really not concerned about the SI article. There is a thing called learning from one's mistakes, especially if those mistakes are one of the reasons you lost your job.

Marshall/Shaka>>>Howland>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Miller/White/Masiello

Howland and Pauslen are the only two guys I think could possibly keep us at the Bzzz level of suckitude. See previous posts for rationale. Howland would be a disaster imo, and probably an expensive one. He's probably my least favorite candidate, all things considered. It would be like a continuation of the unwiped ass era.

This is bullshit and you know it. Howland may be regarded as a huge prick but the guy has won everywhere he has been. Even in his last season, as cumberland pointed out, he won his conference. People allow that SI article cloud all judgement about the guy. I don't know him personally or know what was true or false. What I do know is that he is 1 million times the coach Bzzz is.

Krystkowiak has had consistently the best recruiting as a HC of any of the 4 in that grouping. However, his record compared to the caliber of recruits he has brought in isn't good. Masiello, for example, has been more successfully with lesser regarded recruits.

Bullshit it isn't. He inherited an utter train wreck, went 6-25 in his first year, more than doubled his win total in year two (15-18), and is now 19-9 (35th in Pomeroy) in Year Three. Yeah, he hasn't won 22 games like Masiello, but the PAC-12 is slightly tougher sledding than the MAAC. I'm Team Masiello Crew, but that's just an asinine evaluation.

Howland and Pauslen are the only two guys I think could possibly keep us at the Bzzz level of suckitude. See previous posts for rationale. Howland would be a disaster imo, and probably an expensive one. He's probably my least favorite candidate, all things considered. It would be like a continuation of the unwiped ass era.
Howland would keep us at Bzzz level of suckitude? Dude, how can you even say that with a straight face? What factual evidence makes you say that?

This is bullshit and you know it. Howland may be regarded as a huge prick but the guy has won everywhere he has been. Even in his last season, as cumberland pointed out, he won his conference. People allow that SI article cloud all judgement about the guy. I don't know him personally or know what was true or false. What I do know is that he is 1 million times the coach Bzzz is.

Coach K is a prick. He wins. Enough said.

Not going back through this entire thread, but has there been much or any discussion of Will Wade? Lead assistant under Shaka, has engineered a remarkable turnaround at UT-Nooga, and a Clemson alum with strong regional ties. Biggest issues would be his age (31 maybe?) and limited amount of head coaching experience.

I'm just feeling so #LOWF right now. Like 80% of me is saying please let it be someone underwhelming like Lonergan or Howland just so it's not the guy we dismissed after day 1 because even Wake hasn't fallen that far. I'm so scared.

I saw that TITSWF/BloggerSoDear RT'd that and it got me pretty excited. Howland would be an outstanding hire IMO.

Whoa whoa whoa. That's the bat signal for the anti-Howland crew. "HER CANT RECRUIT" "HE IS OLD" "HE IS A BAD GUY!" "HE ONLY WON BECAUSE HE WAS AT UCLA."

Coach K is a prick. He wins. Enough said.

I'm so knee deep in this coaching search I read this and thought "I haven't heard anything like that coming from the Utah program"

I wouldn't wipe my ass with that SI article. Garbage. Same things were said about John Wooden.

You forgot his style of basketball is about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Back