• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

I would definitely take Howland or Barnes. Would either be the best option? No, but both have won and won big for a long time. And we are making our post-Bz offer, which frankly, is not exactly staking claim to the high ground.

I will continue to hope against hope for Gregg Marshall. I think he would be perfect for our situation, and I don't think Shaka comes here in a million years.

For whatever reason I'm very confident that we're going to make an outstanding hire. I know I'm in the minority, but I just have a gut feeling about this one.
Wellman is going to apply the criteria he SHOULD have 4 years ago....and someone very different than Bz. I think it's going to be a good hire too.

Izzo teams also tend to be very slow as do Billy Donovan teams. Howland can say he's been to Final Four's and coached multiple NBA players.

You can play slow and have success obviously. But look at the whole picture. Tony Bennett plays slow but is young and charismatic. Izzo is the best coach and developer of talent out there. Lots of 4 year players. Florida is another place that has a lot of built in recruiting advantages.

But I don't like the combo of old + prickly + slow style + winston-salem.

I want the focus of our next hire in bringing in as much in state talent as possible... because not only is it elite but if it doesn't come here it is going down the road. The rest can be figured out.

Wellman is going to apply the criteria he SHOULD have 4 years ago....and someone very different than Bz. I think it's going to be a good hire too.

4 years ago he had the political capital to take the sort of risk he did. He no longer has that capital and must make a decision that looks outstanding on paper.

4 years ago he had the political capital to take the sort of risk he did. He no longer has that capital and must make a decision that looks outstanding on paper.
Outstanding on paper could mean a lot of things....ie Howland would look the absolute best on paper. I'm not sure Ron will go there. I think he's going to look for his bball version of Clawson. Howland could be it...and might be worth the risk. The one advantage he has this hire is it'll be nearly impossible to do worse.

With Wellman's duties over the next month, Mike Buddie is going to play a much, much larger role in this search. Which is very helpful (as evidenced by the Clawson search).

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I agree. Wellman has to know what's at stake. His legacy, the future of our program, and the overall financial well being of our AD stand to tank if he fucks this up. Then again... Buzz happened.

Clearly he fucked up on April 14, 2010. Fucked up is an understatement, but as DG3 points out above, he knows his legacy is at stake. We talk about how big Ron's ego is, well does he want his legacy tarnished by messing up another basketball hire? He can't afford to be the "smartest guy in the room" and try and potential to others. He has to sell a proven product and I think he will do so.

With Wellman's duties over the next month, Mike Buddie is going to plan a much, much larger role in this search. Which is very helpful (as evidenced by the Clawson search).

So maybe we're not crazy for being optimistic and thinking this could be a great hire?

So here's something I've been thinking about. Our situation is about as bad as it gets. That's a given. Does Wellman bring in someone like a Howland (or insert bigger name, older coach, safe hire) as a stop gap for the next 4-6 years to right the ship. Then he could go after the young, energetic winner that could be the Wake lifer we all want?

I'm not saying this is what I think should happen. Just a thought.

I don't like Howland but the guy is no [Redacted]

UCLA fans would disagree.

I can't believe people actually want a guy who had freaking UCLA playing at a level that would be unacceptable at Wake for four years. Four years. Despite having shady agents on his side. Bill Walton loves everything. Bill Walton hated Ben Howland. Oh and he's a gigantic asshole to top it off.

There is no reason to believe he would be successful recruiting players to Wake Forest. Even without the SI article, he'd struggle without his top assistants and agent connections given his boring style and lack of personality and old age. Throw in the SI article and he's got no chance.

UCLA fans would disagree.

I can't believe people actually want a guy who had freaking UCLA playing at a level that would be unacceptable at Wake for four years. Four years. Despite having shady agents on his side. Bill Walton loves everything. Bill Walton hated Ben Howland. Oh and he's a gigantic asshole to top it off.

There is no reason to believe he would be successful recruiting players to Wake Forest. Even without the SI article, he'd struggle without his top assistants and agent connections given his boring style and lack of personality and old age. Throw in the SI article and he's got no chance.

Four years? Clearly the 2009-2010 season when they went 14-18 was unacceptable at UCLA and that's unacceptable at Wake Forest. The following season they won23 games including a NCAA Tournament game. The year didn't go that well and they finished 19-14 (55 KP). Last season, they went 25-10 and won the Pac-12 regular season.

For whatever reason I'm very confident that we're going to make an outstanding hire. I know I'm in the minority, but I just have a gut feeling about this one.

So you think Ron will be able to get Shaka or Marshall. Or Krystkowiak possibly.

Or are you employing a variant definition of the word "outstanding"?

after 4-6 yrs of stopgap, let's hope its not wellman bringing in the new guy. hopefully it'll be the new guy bringing in his new guy

So you think Ron will be able to Shaka or Marshall. Or Krystkowiak possibly.

Or are you employing a variant definition of the word "outstanding"?

I think we have a realistic shot at Shaka. I would also consider Howland outstanding, but I know others disagree. It's also possible he hires someone none of us have mentioned who is also outstanding (although given the exhaustive list of names it would have to be someone who we think is set in his current position).

Unacceptable is strong but the last four years of Howland would be disappointing at Wake. Would be comparable to the end of the Odom era. I don't care about win totals, particularly not in a historically bad PAC-10.

The key players on Howlands last good team were recruited literally 10 years ago. When he had great recruiting assistants, particularly Kerry Keating (who looks like don draper) was identifying talent and pulling in studs for him.

Outstanding on paper could mean a lot of things....ie Howland would look the absolute best on paper. I'm not sure Ron will go there. I think he's going to look for his bball version of Clawson. Howland could be it...and might be worth the risk. The one advantage he has this hire is it'll be nearly impossible to do worse.

I love Clawson, but looking for a hoops version of someone who hasn't coached a game at Wake is as foolish as looking for a hoops version of Grobe who had started his decline when Bz was hired.

Just hire a good basketball coach.

I think we have a realistic shot at Shaka. I would also consider Howland outstanding, but I know others disagree. It's also possible he hires someone none of us have mentioned who is also outstanding (although given the exhaustive list of names it would have to be someone who we think is set in his current position).

Howland would be far from outstanding but no reason to continue that debate.

I agree we have a realistic shot at either Shaka or Marshall. If the price is right, and that price will be well north of $2mil per (I'm guessing $2.5-2.8). So despite our reportedly poor financial position, you think Ron will open the checkbook adequately in order to interest Shaka or Marshall?

Pretty sure Howland slept with Apetit's mom.

I'm just getting out of the worst 4 year relationship of my life and now my friends want to set me up with a chick who put my buddy through the 4 worst years of his life because she was hot before she became an old, diseased succubus.

I felt like Ph writing that post.

I'm just getting out of the worst 4 year relationship of my life and now my friends want to set me up with a chick who put my buddy through the 4 worst years of his life because she was hot before she became an old, diseased succubus.

I felt like Ph writing that post.

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

Back