• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

With Wellman's duties over the next month, Mike Buddie is going to play a much, much larger role in this search. Which is very helpful (as evidenced by the Clawson search).

Does Buddie look like the apparent successor as AD?

Also, who do you think Buddie prefers and will target?

I was feeling better about Shaka before learning he had 3 top 100 guys committed and coming in next year to VCU. Wonder how much that would play into any decision he makes

Although I could theoretically see Ron having Howland somewhere on his list, the one thing I keep coming back to is that Howland would be pricey. According to this article, Howland's base salary for this year (2013-14) would have been $2.3 million (all of which he's getting, by the way). Assuming that Wellman offers the position to Howland, and that Howland would not accept a pay cut to coach Wake Forest, I'd obviously rather us throw the $2.5+ million or whatever the number would be to Smart or Marshall. Although I'm in favor of us getting the best coach possible, no need to spend $2.5 on Howland if we can get, say, White or Masiello for half that (or less).

Tl;dr -- if we have the money to hire Howland, we probably have the money to at least make a run at Smart or Marshall.

Howland got fired from his last job so it should be understood that he's going to get less this time around.

That said, I don't want him anyway.

The #1 priority IMO is find someone that can recruit at a top 20 level. We have to have the players/athletes to compete at the level most of us expect, no matter how good the coaching is. Winning the press conference goes hand in hand with recruiting.

That being said my list is:
1) Shaka

2) Marshall

3) Maseillo
4) White

5) Miller

6) Everyone else
(and Howland isn't coming to Wake...too many stories, skeletons and baggage from UCLA for Ronald to even think about considering)

I want to hire Howland and have him succeed because I love when people are 100% wrong and we all get shit on them for it. Apetit the big explosive diarrhea will be splattering all over your face soon enough when Howland is our coach.

I want to hire Howland and have him succeed because I love when people are 100% wrong and we all get shit on them for it. Apetit the big explosive diarrhea will be splattering all over your face soon enough when Howland is our coach.

BUT HE USES MATH AND SCIENCE

It's also possible he hires someone none of us have mentioned who is also outstanding (although given the exhaustive list of names it would have to be someone who we think is set in his current position).

So, what you're saying is we are hiring Jay Wright? Build me the case, so I can ultimately be let down.

This reads like a Knight post. How do you feel about Time Warner Cable employees?

What about STEVE PROHM, he checks the following:

- Caucasian
- Postseason experience (upset Vandy two years ago in the tourney)
- HC experience
- Southern (from Vienna, VA)
- Tight Twitter game (https://twitter.com/CoachProhm)
- His wife seems cool/attractive (http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/sports/Prohms-wife-animated-during-Murray-State-games-245433551.html)

Thoughts?!

eta: the caucasian thing is a wellman/wake forest OWG issue

I know Steve from high school. Aside from his limited head coaching experience and unproven recruiting, he does this really weird lip-licking thing all the time that you start to fixate on after a while.

30cb1f273baae3fe5a0799b42c9c3bf921714_medium.jpg

So, what you're saying is we are hiring Jay Wright? Build me the case, so I can ultimately be let down.

How about a little insight on your former Vermonter Mike Lonergan. I just assume you knew him and he lived in the same beautiful quaint village and that you would often see him in the town square where you would greet him warmly and trade him a bucket of freshly churned butter in exchange for 2 homemade apple pies.

For whatever reason I'm very confident that we're going to make an outstanding hire. I know I'm in the minority, but I just have a gut feeling about this one.

Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane. It's got no place here. Better get used to the idea.

what if we surprise everyone and pull mckillop from davidson!?

Four years? Clearly the 2009-2010 season when they went 14-18 was unacceptable at UCLA and that's unacceptable at Wake Forest. The following season they won23 games including a NCAA Tournament game. The year didn't go that well and they finished 19-14 (55 KP). Last season, they went 25-10 and won the Pac-12 regular season.

Don't try to use sound reasoning, anti-Howland crowd won't hear it.

How about a little insight on your former Vermonter Mike Lonergan. I just assume you knew him and he lived in the same beautiful quaint village and that you would often see him in the town square where you would greet him warmly and trade him a bucket of freshly churned butter in exchange for 2 homemade apple pies.

We never did run into each other at the organic farmers' market or shared recipes for kale chips. I suppose because he was out recruiting. He recruited well while here and most folks who follow the team closely felt he did a good job following on what Tom Brennan had built. I don't have a strong opinion on him and am largely underwhelmed by all of the options not named Shaka or Gregg.

I tried mentioning Jay Wright about 15 pages ago people just moved on to blabbing about Louisiana Tech. Wright contract was extended 7 years in 2006. Is it up after this year? DONT YOU THINK THIS SHOULD BE DISCUSSES?!?!?

Back