• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Read the first 3 paragraphs of this bio and convince me he's not the guy.

http://m.utrockets.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205501785&db_oem_id=18000
If Jay Bilas likes him he has to be good.
What They Are Saying About Tod Kowalczyk
"Tod Kowalczyk is one of the bright young coaches in the college game. He is an outstanding teacher, tactician, and recruiter, and he has a great feel for the game. Tod also stresses the importance of competing in the classroom just as hard they compete on the court. Toledo made a great hire in Tod Kowalczyk."
- ESPN college basketball analyst Jay Bilas
What They Say About Coach [Redacted]
"Jeff [Redacted] is one of the top coaches in the country, and one of the most prepared and experienced. Jeff may be quiet and soft spoken in demeanor, but he is also an intense competitor that understands the pursuit of excellence on and off the court. Jeff has always stressed trust, hard work and togetherness, and he has always been about the players first. From the NBA to college, Jeff has seen it all in this game, has handled everything with class, and has been successful at every stop. Wake Forest got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]."
- Jay Bilas, ESPN Basketball Analyst

Posrep to you good sir.

________ is one of the top (young optional) coaches in the game.

2 to 4 flowery lies

_________ got a great coach in _____________

Last edited:
This is bullshit and you know it. Howland may be regarded as a huge prick but the guy has won everywhere he has been. Even in his last season, as cumberland pointed out, he won his conference. People allow that SI article cloud all judgement about the guy. I don't know him personally or know what was true or false. What I do know is that he is 1 million times the coach Bzzz is.

Absolutely this. Ben Howland would give our program instant national credibility again. NO SINGLE COACH hired in the history of Wake Forest basketball has ever come with the credentials that Howland would bring (built winning programs at two big-time schools, Final Four trips, PAC 12 championships). We have never hired a coach with this type of record. One writer in one magazine is not the Delphic oracle and to ignore Howland's entire career of achievement based on one magazine article is absurd. The situation and outside pressures and distractions that Howland or any coach faces at UCLA are not remotely comparable to Wake.

Kowalczyk has amassed two decades of collegiate coaching experience. He came to Green Bay from Marquette University, where he served as an assistant coach. While with the Golden Eagles, Kowalczyk coordinated efforts that outfitted consecutive top-25 recruiting classes in Marquette uniforms.

Before joining Tom Crean's staff at Marquette, Kowalczyk spent three years coaching in the Big East Conference at Rutgers, including one season as associate head coach. Kowalczyk helped land two recruiting classes ranked among the top 15 nationally that led the Scarlet Knights to consecutive NIT appearances.

:noidea:

Look at the quote from Dwayne Wade. Just cut and paste that onto his Wake bio.

Tod Kowalczyk has been a head coach every year of the Kenpom era:

Green Bay: 203, 156, 179, 187, 143, 83, 142
Toledo: 334, 202, 190, 107

I know that KP ranks are not everything and circumstances/context is needed but in my opinion the results over 12 years isn't good enough mid major production to warrant an ACC job.

Last edited:
Tod Kowalczyk has been a head coach of every year of the Kenpom era:

Green Bay: 203, 156, 179, 187, 143, 83, 142
Toledo: 334, 202, 190, 107

I know that KP ranks are not everything and circumstances/context is needed but in my opinion the results over 12 years isn't good enough mid major production to warrant an ACC job.

Agreed. Only two of his teams have ever been better than Wake the past two seasons, which is simply not good enough given our current state.

I assume you Howland morans were also staunchly against the removal of Jim Grobe, whose resume which included winning the ACC Championship would bring unprecedented credibility for a coach at Wake Forest in favor of Dave Clawson who has never even coached at a BCS level. Or Dave Odom who won multiple ACC championships and completely turned around a program in favor of Skip Prosser.

Must have missed when Grobe won the ACC last season...

Here are our final rankings as far back as I could go from the Pre-Bzzz era.

Code:
[B]Year	Ranking	Source[/B]
2010	59	Kenpom
2009	27	Kenpom
2008	69	Kenpom
2007	102	Kenpom
2006	82	Kenpom
2005	7	Kenpom
2004	18	Kenpom
2003	21	Kenpom
2002	24	Sagarin
2001	13	Sagarin