• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

that's what I'm saying: Mike White and LeVelle Moton CO-HEAD COACHES

$1.2-1.4mm each

DONE & DONE

Shelton Mitchell
Kwe Parker
Brandon Ingram
Harry Giles
Thon Maker

CONTENDER
FINAL FOUR
SUCK IT DUKE
LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DO IT FOR THE SKIPPER

When Bz was hired Marshall had won 1 NCAAT game in 12 years as a HC and and was in a 4 year NCAAT drought.

I don't know how to format it but this resume is far more impressive than the three years of Archie/Masiello/White:
1998–1999 Winthrop 21–8 9–1 1st NCAA First Round
1999–2000 Winthrop 21–9 11–3 2nd NCAA First Round
2000–2001 Winthrop 18–13 11–3 2nd NCAA First Round
2001–2002 Winthrop 19–12 10–4 1st NCAA First Round
2002–2003 Winthrop 20–10 11–3 1st
2003–2004 Winthrop 16–12 10–6 T–3rd
2004–2005 Winthrop 27–6 15–1 1st NCAA First Round
2005–2006 Winthrop 23–8 13–3 1st NCAA First Round
2006–2007 Winthrop 29–5 14–0 1st NCAA Second Round
2007–2008 Wichita State 11–20 4–14 9th
2008–2009 Wichita State 17–17 8–10 T–5th CBI Second Round

I'm too old for this shit, Mike!

LethalWeaponRA2_9259.jpg

I think most of us are on the same page.

1. If you're Wake Forest in 2014, you need to hire the coach before he becomes THE coach. I get that. I'm 100% all in on Archie, White, Moton, or that Italian guy. Each of them has a combination of: connection to NC, ability to recruit, ability to connect to players, personality to win over the fanbase, strong ability to coach, experience at a top program, etc. Anyone can make a strong pitch as to why each of those four would experience success here.

2. After realizing Wellman has zero track record of hiring someone in their 30's or someone without private school HC experience or someone without ~6 years of HC experience, you move to the second tier of established, seasoned coaches who may do well. You enter the Lonergan, Amaker, Howland, Paulsen, Mooney, Reed tier of coaches. I guess you throw in Turner here, too, because of his ties to Wake. Where do you go here? I would argue Howland has a better track record than any of the other coaches in this tier, but I guess I can be convinced of Amaker or Lonergan (though he's not leaving DC).

If you want to stay in (1) and keep arguing the up-and-coming coach over the guys in (2), that's fine, but you're going to be disappointed if Ron doesn't dramatically change his hiring approach.

You basically nailed it with this post.

What if one of those guys win an NCAAT game this year and equal Marshall's total in 12? Also Bz was hired in 2010.

They've had more than one good year. You are a good coach or aren't. No need to add arbitrary standards, something that is probably holding us back in our coaching search.

Should I stay home for a 2 hour lunch and watch the end of the Michigan/GROCE game y/y?

Who had a Final Four and was on his way to another. How far has White ever gone?

Nah, I think when he wanted Stevens he was on his way to the first Final Four

who knows what would have happened if Butler had gotten knocked out earlier that year

It's funny how two random schools like Butler and Xavier have connected so much with Wake.

Nah, I think when he wanted Stevens he was on his way to the first Final Four

who knows what would have happened if Butler had gotten knocked out earlier that year

Nope, he had already been national runner-up.

Wellman was too miserly.

Can you post a list of coaches who got fired from a major conference program and went on to have great careers?

I looked at the wikipedia list of FF teams for the past 20 years.

Of those, only one had been previously fired, Eddie Sutton. And that was for cheating.

Several had been fired after making the final four: Steve Fisher, Richard Williams, Jim Harrick, Clem Haskins, Jim O'Brien, Kelvin Sampson, Mike Davis, Paul Hewitt, Bruce Weber, John Brady and Ben Howland. Kelvin Sampson was fired at a later school. Not surprisingly, none have had much success after being fired except Fisher, who was let go because of cheating.

Conlcusion: Good coaches don't get fired unless they are cheaters.

Last edited:
Back