• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

one of my BOIS (riazkj4 -- he made like 10 posts on the old boards but never made it over here i don't think) is super connected with UD. like half his family played on the bball team, his uncle is on the BoT, they have stuff named after him there, etc. anyway, he told ME that they aren't super pumped about archie. he's known as a good talent evaluator and recruiter but unlike his brother is a poor tactician and doesn't do much in game. and they wouldn't be upset if he left. #SCOOOOOOP

Hmmm....BoT member is bad at evaluating basketball. Given we have seen that for a few years here at WFU I wouldn't think this was #SCOOOOP necessary

one of my BOIS (riazkj4 -- he made like 10 posts on the old boards but never made it over here i don't think) is super connected with UD. like half his family played on the bball team, his uncle is on the BoT, they have stuff named after him there, etc. anyway, he told ME that they aren't super pumped about archie. he's known as a good talent evaluator and recruiter but unlike his brother is a poor tactician and doesn't do much in game. and they wouldn't be upset if he left. #SCOOOOOOP

reminds me of the feedback I got on Russell Turner:

"Why would Wake want him?"

Ron needs to fire [Redacted] first before our program is completely destroyed. THen, yes, he needs to make a big time hire

FYC, people were enamored with Brad Stevens before he made the Final Four.

Interesting news about Stan Heath. USF has done what we've wanted to do. In January, the AD announced he would retire next June. USF announced there would be a search for a new AD. They hired an assistant AD from UCLA this week. He fired the basketball coach today.

Yeah, I started the thread after getting slammed in the ACC tournament again lamenting the fact that we were stuck with Dino when Stevens was there for the taking. D'oh.

reminds me of the feedback I got on Russell Turner:

"Why would Wake want him?"

Ringing endorsement.

I would guarandamntee that if you told a La Tech or Manhattan fan we were taking their coach, there would be a high level of disappointment, possibly culminating in fisticuffs if you weren't careful.

I've heard the same thing from someone who has extensive personal dealings with a lot of the coaches whose names we are throwing around. He said we would likely be disappointed with Archie as compared to Lonergonzo, Masiello, or even Mooney.

Guess I need to dive down the rabbit hole and find reasons to like Russell Turner. He's the one likely guy of all the names that I just haven't been able to get remotely excited about. I know he's not bad, he is just so very bland.

RW absolutely MUST make the big splash hire this time. If he pays him, he will come.

No. WF needs to hire a coach that can build WF back into a year-in-year-out top 25 program. The short-term thinking that WF needs to make a "splash" will only continue the downward spiral. If by year 3, WF is an NCAA tourney team loaded with young talent, no one is going to give a F if WF made a splash hire in March 2014. I despise the type of thinking that fails to look at the long-term implications of this decision.

Archie just basically ran onto the court flexing after an And-1 for Dayton leading into a tv time out.

Jk: that wasn't Archie. Firstrow feed is not good.

Dayton down 1 to st joes

Last edited:
I would be in favor of Chris Collins - Northwestern

What's with the Coach K assistant fascination. If Collins becomes a great coach, then he will be the first one of those guys to break the mediocre glass ceiling.

No. WF needs to hire a coach that can build WF back into a year-in-year-out top 25 program. The short-term thinking that WF needs to make a "splash" will only continue the downward spiral. If by year 3, WF is an NCAA tourney team loaded with young talent, no one is going to give a F if WF made a splash hire in March 2014. I despise the type of thinking that fails to look at the long-term implications of this decision.

I don't know anybody who doesn't regard as "splash" hire as someone likely to build Wake back into a year-in-year-out top 25 program based on their current trajectory as a coach.

Why are you assuming these two concepts are mutually exclusive?

Guess I need to dive down the rabbit hole and find reasons to like Russell Turner. He's the one likely guy of all the names that I just haven't been able to get remotely excited about. I know he's not bad, he is just so very bland.

Huh? How have you been excited about the gettable names? The only names that would excite me are Marshall, Smart and Krystkowiak. Short of that, I'd be pleased with White and alright with Lonergan and maybe Masiello. And I don't remotely like the names Amaker, Howland, Mooney, Paulsen, Reed, Turner and their ilk, and now I'm souring on Miller (not that I was high on him to begin with). We've already been told that his Premiership won't be spending a lot of $$ to right our flagship program. I'm fully prepared for what appears to be an impending mediocre hire and the resulting irrelevancy that will ensue. How can you like so many of those other names?

Don't understand why Wellman is afraid to have a big time basketball program. Is his need for control so great that we can hire only coaches willing to kiss his ring? The BOT needs to oversee this search and go big for a great coach.

Back