• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

I see what Apetit is saying, he'd rather hire the coach with a higher volatility because they're more likely to end up as the elite outlier

For you donks, he's saying: go big or go home

Then why all this love for Mike White? Why is he a bigger get than Buzz Williams.

If Buzz Williams could compete for championships for the next 20 years, he would have been competing for championships already. Buzz Williams is proven -- he has proven that he's almost certainly a good coach. But he's also proven that he's almost certainly not an elite coach.

Dude was in the elite 8 last year. Is that not competing for championships?

...almost as hilarious as RW announcing S Greenberg as our new coach who then proceeds to re-hire J Johnson as his top assistant here......the irony would be delicious.....:cliffs:

I realize you're joking. but wasn't there some negative Wellman/Greenberg history that would make that outcome highly improbable? I seem to remember reading something like that but my aging brain refuses to recall the details...

Because Buzz Williams is what he is at this point, White could be more.

I am not sure if I agree with this, but I think that is the line of thought.

That is an outrageously bold prediction. Could it happen, yes. But I just don't think there is any indication out there that shows he will def be better.

Moton is a good dude. I know he's a long shot for Wake, but I will always root for that guy

As previously posted he has MAJOR connections and will tear it up recruiting at a big school. He's already proven to be a pretty good coach and team-builder IMO. I know 2-3 years ago he made more money individually training NBA players in the offseason than he did coaching, I am unaware if that's still the case. He's done a great job, it is important to note that Central has lax academic requirements and he's built teams mainly on major conference transfers, so a team like Wake is not likely IMO. It would be a homerun hire for Marshall, I have no doubt he would tear it up there. I think he will wait for a great opportunity due to his loyalty to NCCU though. They will be the favorite to win the MEAC as long as he's there.
His career has been to fun watch unfold. When I was a 7th grader at West Millbrook Middle School at the turn of the century he was our basketball coach. At basketball camp the guest speakers included Felton, May, McCants, Redick, Williams, Stackhouse, Flip Murray, and a few other NBA players. Allen Iverson had planned to make it but couldn’t and sent everyone apparel. Keep in mind these guys were all in the peaks of their pro and college careers respectively, and Levelle was at that time a middle school teacher. He clearly knew all these guys very well even then, he trained all of them at one point.
When I went to high school at Millbrook he was promoted to bball coach at rival Sanderson. When I left HS and went to ECU he was promoted to assistant at Central and was HC soon thereafter. There was never any doubt in my mind he'd be a great coach, I never dreamed he'd get the opportunities he has as quickly as he did.
I've said for 3 years now he will be a major college HC eventually. I am very biased and want him to succeed but I see no scenario in which he doesn't, especially since he can be selective about his next job. He is a great in game coach and player developer. He also has amazing charisma as well as contacts all over the NBA and college. On top of this he comes from extremely humble beginnings and relates well to players and parents. Velle is a great father figure in the life of many players already, many of whom play at colleges other than Central. I’m excited to see who gives him his first big chance. Also his charity work and dedication to the community should not be overlooked and are an added plus.

Then why all this love for Mike White? Why is he a bigger get than Buzz Williams.

Because Apeitit tries to change every conversation about someone else to a guy who didn't make the tourney.

wasn't there some negative Wellman/Greenberg history

I am not suggesting we should hire Greenberg, but IIRC it was Seth who warned our coaching staff of attempts to poach Skip's recruits immediately after his passing. Seems like he was attending a meeting in Atlanta, heard some things he didn't like, and called WF. I may be misremembering, but I have always thought well of him since.

FWIW

Hokies Journal ‏@HokiesJournal 4m
3) Key factors: How much is Babcock willing to spend and if/when Wake Forest fires Jeff [Redacted]. Wake viewed as a 'better job' by coaches.

Jesus I would certainly hope we are viewed as superior to VT. If not or if we fuck up this hire we may as well shut the whole thing down.

Coach K was sticking up for the strength of the ACC. You don't have to take the contrarian view to every word that comes out of the man's mouth.

Shaka's response was fine as well.

Back