• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

THIS GUY is my favorite:

Coaching Changes ‏@CoachingChanges 8h
Names for Wake Forest- Jeff Capel, Ben Howland, Rick Barnes, Herb Sendek, Chris Mack

Coaching Changes ‏@CoachingChanges Mar 14
Ben Howland sounding like front runner for Wake Forest

Coaching Changes ‏@CoachingChanges Mar 13
Names for Wake Forest- Rick Barnes, Jeff Capel, Chris Mack, Danny Manning

He's far past that at this point. May not be hot enough to be a Wake candidate, but he's certainly getting a HC job if he finds one he wants.

I agree he deserves to be hired as a mid-major somewhere and would do very well. I think he can absolutely be a high major coach one day, I just do not believe he is ready just yet.

This coaching changes account knows nothing. Hasn't BC already confirmed that Don is coming back?

I love Moton and his personality. He would be a really poor hire for Wake Forest. This is the first year of his 5 that NCCU has been top 250 on offense or turned it over less than 23% of trips on offense. And they are 4th nationally in experience this year.

I think if you are just thinking "Moton has NCCU in top 100 imagine what he would do recruiting to the ACC" I think that is too simple. There are very likely some technical holes in his coaching that would take quite a lot of recruiting to cover up.

Also that coaching search twitter knows nothing. He stated as a fact last Thursday that Wake was opening up the following day.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 24s
Bruce Pearl met with Auburn AD Jay Jacobs on Monday night and is strong considering taking job, sources told ESPN:

Good.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 24s
Bruce Pearl met with Auburn AD Jay Jacobs on Monday night and is strong considering taking job, sources told ESPN:

Good.

That's a good hire for Auburn....also somebody put it up on Wikipedia like three days ago...well done.

Just as a reminder, Dino was canned April 7 and Bz was officially hired April 13. Grobe resigned Dec 2 and Clawson was hired Dec 10 (BGU played their game Dec 26 so an interview wasn't impacting his ability to coach).

It doesn't seem like Wellman likes extended coaching vacancies. If we can expect a hire within 7-10 days of the firing, we either may wait until our target is out of his respective tournament or, if the announcement is made in the next few days, Ron is currently finishing up the contract with a coach who's done (Howland, Buzz).

I would love to see Rick Barnes back at WF. I don't see him leaving UT though. He was on the chopping block at the beginning of the season, but their performance with the young guys may have changed that. Although, if they flame out against ASU the fans will probably be restless.

If we get Jeff Capel, I'll be devastated.

Would've loved to have made a run at Barnes in 2010; given UT's performance this year and the fact that he'll turn 60 this summer, sadly I think our window on possible Barnes discussions may have shut.

Anyone who thinks Herb Sendeck is on our list needs to leave Denver.

Would've loved to have made a run at Barnes in 2010; given UT's performance this year and the fact that he'll turn 60 this summer, sadly I think our window on possible Barnes discussions may have shut.

This. He's 60 and has struggled much more than he used to since he lost Frank Haith. Rick's time has passed.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 49s
He wanted to get back into coaching, SEC is perfect for him. No great jobs vacant this spring. RT @SteveWRust: right tier program for him?

:(

Yes, and no. I think it depends on whether Barnes is interested in looking at WF to strengthen his new position with new AD Patterson. I think there is a scenario where he leaves UT, and that's if he tries to use interest from WF as a bargaining tool. Patterson has said he doesn't plan to make a change this year, but he's only got 3 years left on his contract and Patterson basically changed the subject when a contract extension came up. If WF makes a serious overture, I think Barnes has to at least toy with the idea of looking at it, if for no other reason, than as a bargaining chip with Patterson. If Patterson balks, then Barnes might, MIGHT, end up at WF. Lots of ifs there, particularly starting from the premise that Barnes isn't seriously interested in WF.

Because Buzz Williams is what he is at this point, White could be more.

I am not sure if I agree with this, but I think that is the line of thought.

Yup. I'm not sure TUA is grasping the concept, though.

FWIW, I think it's a matter of preference in terms of risk appetite when it comes to a new hire. I'm probably at the very end of the spectrum in terms of preferring risky candidates.

Probably a half-step down but Buzz Williams' first 6 seasons as a head coach in major college bball aren't that far off from Billy Donovan's (probably better if Mike Miller doesn't hit buzzer beater against Butler [bmoney was there]) or Bill Self's when considering stature of program, tournament results, etc.

Just as a reminder, Dino was canned April 7 and Bz was officially hired April 13. Grobe resigned Dec 2 and Clawson was hired Dec 10 (BGU played their game Dec 26 so an interview wasn't impacting his ability to coach).

It doesn't seem like Wellman likes extended coaching vacancies. If we can expect a hire within 7-10 days of the firing, we either may wait until our target is out of his respective tournament or, if the announcement is made in the next few days, Ron is currently finishing up the contract with a coach who's done (Howland, Buzz).
quoting for sanity

Probably a half-step down but Buzz Williams' first 6 seasons as a head coach in major college bball aren't that far off from Billy Donovan's (probably better if Mike Miller doesn't hit buzzer beater against Butler [bmoney was there]) or Bill Self's when considering stature of program, tournament results, etc.

Self had Illinois as a #1 seed his first year there. Although the credit should go to COOKIE.

Donovan actually looks like a pretty good counterpoint, although I'd contend he took over a program in a pretty meh situation and quickly turned them around. And although I try not to much too much stock in NCAA success, he did take one of his teams to the finals (although like you alluded to, a lot of luck involved).

I think Donovan may also be the exception to the "good coaches don't become great coaches" because IIRC he admitted that his recruiting philosophy of just getting highly ranked dudes and throwing them together wasn't working (I think after the whole Roberson, Walsh, Drejer class didn't work out) and instead decided to actually recruit around a system, which is when he really starting putting together elite teams.

Back