• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

i'm guessing tyndal would be out since they note the "strong jr college ties." of course i'd take any of them.

I assume Cluess is out because he embarrassed Wellman. We can't have any of that around here.

I like Pikiell as a wild card. No T's as a HC? That sounds like #culture to me.

I assume Cluess is out because he embarrassed Wellman. We can't have any of that around here.

I like Pikiell as a wild card. No T's as a HC? That sounds like #culture to me.

Recent history would say the opposite.

Either of the two Steve's sound like good choices for Wake.

There are many on the list who are entering their third or fourth season at the school. I regard those two years as important, indicators of recruiting, because by year three, a coach should have mostly his own recruits and by year four entirely his own, unless somebody redshirted. A quick turnaround (see Towson) usually means the previous coach left some talent behind but couldn't coach the players he had. Sustaining success into years three and four means the coach was able to recruit talent to his school.

Interesting note: Robert Morris Univ press guide still has Coron Williams listed as a member of the team. Wake would have a unique perspective on Andy Toole as a BB coach, should that be of interest.

Last edited:
That list is a problem. It has no big names on it. We should have at least $3M/year to spend with the new ACC contract and owning The Joel. To not try for a big name is the height of LOWF.

The ACC will be the unquestioned #1 bball conference in the country. There is no reason we shouldn't have a name coach.

Reactions: DG3
I know people pooh pooh it, but I would go balls to the walls for Shaka. Clearly he's not looking for a big state university (yes there a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as State, IL, MN or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

VCU is in a bad conference. It's different now than it was last year.

Shaka isn't like Stevens. His style would not work in the NBA.

Shaka and Few are friends. Shaka could stay at Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on the list will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $32.5M/ten years and go up to $35-40M. We can definitely afford it.

I want Buzz gone as much as the next guy, but after firing Dino for lack of postseason success (or so we were told), and hiring a guy with zero postseason success (or experience, for that matter), we need to land a guy with at least some NCAA wins under his belt. jmho

The Robert Morris press guide has a list of the top mid-major programs over the last seven years:

1. Butler - Brandon Miller (1st year) Assistant coach last Replaced Brad Stevens, one of the Wake "dream" coaches. Butler alum. 6yr asst under Thad Motta, then back to Butler last spring.

2. Saint Mary's (California) Randy Bennett (11 years)

3. Virginia Commonwealth - Shaka Smart. nuff said.

4. Gonzaga - Mark Few (15 years)

5. Murray State - Steve Prohm (3 years)

6. Belmont - Rick Byrd (28 years)

7. Old Dominion - Jeff Jones (1st year) yes, that Jeff Jones. Blaine Taylor was fired mid season last year, after 19 years. Jim Corrigan was the interim H/C and no longer on staff at ODU.

8. Creighton - Gregg McDermott, (3 years) His son is on the team and graduating spring 2014.

9. Robert Morris Scott Eades (7 years)

10. Kent State - Bob Senderoff (2 years)

Coaches from some of these schools have been discussed over the years. Might be worthwhile to look at the coaches of the others and see what they have been doing right - and how available they are.

Last edited:
I know people pooh pooh it, but I would go balls to the walls for Shaka. Clearly he's not looking for a big state university (yes there a lot of students at VCU, but it's not the same as State, IL, MN or a similar school. It's a commuter school). The ACC will be the #1 conference for decades.

VCU is in a bad conference. It's different now than it was last year.

Shaka isn't like Stevens. His style would not work in the NBA.

Shaka and Few are friends. Shaka could stay at Wake for the rest of his career and be a legend like Few is at Gonzaga.

All those guys on the list will be there after we take our shot. If we don't take a shot, we are being LOWF. You can't win if you don't try.

Start the bidding at $32.5M/ten years and go up to $35-40M. We can definitely afford it.

All of us are in favor of Shaka to Wake. And if it happens, I'm sure I don't speak for myself when I say I will gladly reinstate my Deacon Club membership and donate however much money they ask me to. But realists will be realists, I don't think we can land him but would love to see us try with a big ass contract as you suggest

Agreed rj. And if Shaka falls through we should go after Izzo and Billy Donovan.

Who will be the next under-the radar coach to make the jump to the big time? Check out our list below of 10 coaches who are on the rise in college basketball. In no particular order...

Pat Skerry, Towson: Skerry led the Tigers to the biggest one year turnaround in college basketball history last season and in so doing became a finalist for the vacancy at Minnesota. After only winning a single game in his first year at Towson, Skerry guided the Tigers to 18 victories a season ago. A relentless recruiter, Skerry's feistiness has made Towson nationally relevant just two years after being in college basketball's version of purgatory.

Dan Hurley, Rhode Island: If the Rams make the jump many expect this season in the Atlantic 10, it will be the second program in the last half-decade that Hurley has remedied. After taking over Wagner on the heels of a six-win season in 2010, Hurley led the Staten Island school to 25 wins in 2012 before taking the job at URI.

Donnie Tyndall, Southern Miss: After beating Rick Pitino and Louisville in the 2011 NCAA Tournament when he was at Morehead State, Tyndall nearly upset Memphis in last year's C-USA tournament final before falling in double overtime. A well-connected recruiter with strong junior college ties, Tyndall should have the Eagles regularly in the mix at the top of Conference USA.

Bob Hoffman, Mercer: The Bears have steadily improved under Hoffman's watch. Fifty-one wins in the past two years have put Mercer on the mid-major map and Hoffman returns the majority of last year's group that won the Atlantic Sun regular season title and reached the NIT.

Steve Pikiell, Stony Brook: The Seawolves program transitioned to Division I in 1999 and 14 years later, Pikiell has them on an upward trajectory. Stony Brook has won 22 or more games in three of the past four seasons, but needs to eventually break through and make the NCAA Tournament. An interesting note about Pikiell? He's yet to receive a technical foul in his eight seasons with the Seawolves.

Archie Miller, Dayton: An excellent tactician, Miller has the Flyers program on the uptick. Dayton has gained palpable momentum in recruiting and looks to be vastly improved from a year ago. Expect Miller to lead the Flyers to the top of the Atlantic 10 standings this season thanks to more depth and experience.

Steve Prohm, Murray State: The most impressive thing about Prohm? His demeanor. No matter how big the moment, the 39-year old coach is always the same and never appears to be worried or concerned. After leading the Racers to 52 wins in his first two seasons, Prohm will have to rebuild this year after losing star guard Isaiah Canaan.

Mike White, Louisiana Tech: White, a former Ole Miss guard, led the Bulldogs to 27 wins and an NIT berth last season in just his second season as a head coach. Look for Louisiana Tech to be one of the potential favorites this year in Conference USA with White leading the charge.

Andy Toole, Robert Morris: Mature and confident beyond his years, Toole looks like he's 20 but acts like he's 40. The Colonials' win over Kentucky last year in the NIT put Toole on the national map. It's only a matter of time before a higher-level school obtains his services.

Tim Cluess, Iona: The Long Island native has won 70 games in three seasons with the Gaels and led Iona to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments. The Gaels have been the nation's top scoring team in each of the past two years and with the group Cluess has to put together this season, don't be surprised if Iona flirts with averaging 90.0 points per game.

Here is the guy:

(Pat) Skerry, a 21-year coaching veteran, has succeeded in changing the culture of the Towson men's basketball program. During his first semester as head coach, his players posted the highest GPA for a Towson men's basketball team in over a decade.

Skerry, who was named the Tigers' head coach on April 5th, 2011, has spent time building his resume of success at 10 different schools: Towson 2011-present, Pittsburgh 2010-11, Providence 2008-10, Rhode Island 2005-08, College of Charleston 2003-05, William & Mary 2000-03, Northeastern 1998-2000, Curry College (Mass.) 1996-98, Stonehill College (Mass.) 1995-96 and his alma mater, Tufts 1992-95.

Experience and culture change experience!

Last edited:
I actually ran into a decently connected VCU guy a month ago at a wedding. When I casually mentioned that some Wake fans hope that there's an outside chance Shaka would consider Wake, he laughed his ass off. He said the only jobs Shaka might leave for would be a UNC, Duke, or the NBA

Towson committed absolutely egregious recruiting and contact violations to get a couple of their guys (particularly one dude from Georgetown). I know this because I somewhat follow CAA basketball. It's the worst kept secret in the league that he broke NCAA rules and nobody really seems to care apparently.

I loved Archie Miller growing up.

Back