• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Some positives about Manning:

-Tulsa clearly improved a lot this season, which I guess says something
-His 2014 recruiting class is by far his best, two guys who both had solid offers. Wilbekin's younger bro chose Tulsa over FSU and Vandy apparently. Good sign after pretty poor classes his first couple years.

He also coached up a shit ton of big men at Kansas: Wayne Simien, Julian Wright, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, twins Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

He also coached up a shit ton of big men at Kansas: Wayne Simien, Julian Wright, Darrell Arthur, Darnell Jackson, Sasha Kaun, Cole Aldrich, twins Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey

Yup, his experience under Self who is a bawse is his best qualification I think. Unfortunately that's also why he wasn't a great candidate. But I will support him.

Yup, his experience under Self who is a bawse is his best qualification I think. Unfortunately that's also why he wasn't a great candidate. But I will support him.

You're the coaching candidate guru. If this comes true, we're all going to need you to look deep into the kenpom crystal baller and come to a conclusion.

His personality seems really dry.

I did just read that he was the coach that got Xavier Henry to Kansas.

Like who? Sadly, we don't have a lot of options at this point.

Of the lower mid-majors or under the radar high majors? Mike White, for starters. LeVelle. Utah coach (sorry, on my phone). Hell, maybe even his donkness himself Russell Turner.

Manning is attractive because of a big turnaround with a veteran team, playing with UCLA for 25 minutes, speculation about how good of a recruiter he'll be, and his history coaching up elite big man recruits.

I'm not against the hire in theory, but considering what's out there and what we are trying to avoid: meh, IMO.

Levelle Moton is a better candidate that Danny Manning??? Uh, no.

As player:

As coach:

Of the lower mid-majors or under the radar high majors? Mike White, for starters. LeVelle. Utah coach (sorry, on my phone). Hell, maybe even his donkness himself Russell Turner.

Manning is attractive because of a big turnaround with a veteran team, playing with UCLA for 25 minutes, speculation about how good of a recruiter he'll be, and his history coaching up elite big man recruits.

I'm not against the hire in theory, but considering what's out there and what we are trying to avoid: meh, IMO.

Mike White turned us down. I'm sure Krystkowiak did/would have, as well. I'd take Manning over Turner. I always assumed the LeVelle talk was mostly a joke, he's not a serious candidate, c'mon.

I agree he's meh, but that's what we're left with.

Levelle Moton is a better candidate that Danny Manning??? Uh, no.

As player:

As coach:

I could literally care less what Danny Manning did as a player. So should you.

College recruits today don't care about a guy drafted in the 80's.

Maybe not, but he won a NCAAT, was a #1 draft pick and played in the Olympics. They wouldn't have seen him play, but he'll have some cred.

Mike White turned us down. I'm sure Krystkowiak did/would have, as well. I'd take Manning over Turner. I always assumed the LeVelle talk was mostly a joke, he's not a serious candidate, c'mon.

Where are we getting that Mike White turned us down?

There's literally 0.0000000% chance that we approached Mike White with a credible offer and he turned us down.

Well, I think you are wrong. It will carry some weight in recruiting.

How well has it worked for.him at Tulsa? If you weren't old enough to remember him in college, then what would be your thoughts of his candidacy?

I've seen the dude work in person as a recruiter and I think he'll be fine with the right staff, but he's far from a sure thing.

Agree with you, but I really think he's more or less LeVelle with a high major pedigree. Equally unproven as a HC candidate in the ACC.

Mike White withdrew his name from consideration. Why do you think we are hiring Danny Manning? The guys we wanted said no in one form or another.

Folks unhappy with Manning need to ask themselves if they'd rather have had Wojo.

How well has it worked for.him at Tulsa? If you weren't old enough to remember him in college, then what would be your thoughts of his candidacy?

I've seen the dude work in person as a recruiter and I think he'll be fine with the right staff, but he's far from a sure thing.

I think his name would carry weight with coaches. I mean the dude was silly as a college player when most of those coaches were probably growing up.

There's literally 0.0000000% chance that we approached Mike White with a credible offer and he turned us down.

Agreed. He probably just signed an extension at La Tech and gave a casual "I'm not interested in other jobs" line. But if actually approached with a real ACC offer that would triple his salary that wouldn't stick.

Back