• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

Adjusted Defensive Efficiency is ranked #32 in the country. "Adjusted" meaning what would their defense do to an average offense, not what did their defense do to the teams they played. Offense was ranked #169 which was one of the worst figures for any tournament team. Their offense was basically ranked ahead of St. Louis and a bunch of 15/16 seeds. I'd be curious what his offensive philosophy is and if it may translate better to ACC athletes or if there is heavy reliance on a good big, or what. Cause his offense this year was....wait for it...offensive.

Tempo: Fairly fast both years, but nothing exotic. 68 possessions/game (national average is around 66). This usually follows coaches around as they change teams, although not always.

Turnovers: The whole team got a lot better from year one to year two, but this is the area that is the most responsible for Tulsa's 2014 improvement. Year 1, again playing 6 freshman regular minutes, they forced turnovers 18.9% of the time and committed turnovers 21.7% of the time (-2.8%). Year 2, they forced turnovers 20.3% and committed at 16.8% (+3.5%). Obviously turnover margin is vitally important and this is great to see. However, it is only 1 year of improved data so it is hard to know if it is a trend.

Rebounding: They were about even both years. 30% O Boards Gained and 29% O Boards allowed both years. Not really ideal, but it isn't so awful that it couldn't be a personnel issue. Tulsa doesn't have too much size. But I think there is a pretty good chance Manning's teams don't crash the O-boards enough/optimally.

About average offensive efficiencies, pretty good defensive efficiency this year. But these can be quite personnel dependent. It's just so hard to tell too much from a coach that has only 2 years of data coaching mostly the same players. But he definitely doesn't have anything weird stylistically that would be overly concerning from adv stats perspective. Just limited data.

So basically, it's a Small Sample Size Alert.

Seems pretty clear this is a wait-and-see hire.

So we would have had to overpay Archie Miller and Mike White? Or these guys wouldn't have come to Wake even for a blank check? I'm hoping that the AD put Manning in the same tier as Miller and White and his ask is more reasonable so he is the choice over the other two. If not, we are Clemson.

It's been reported that we put full court press on Archie who declined us and put out feelers for MW who said he was not interested. Apetit and I will be wearing black for the next week to signify our loss of MW.

Adjusted Defensive Efficiency is ranked #32 in the country. "Adjusted" meaning what would their defense do to an average offense, not what did their defense do to the teams they played. Offense was ranked #169 which was one of the worst figures for any tournament team. Their offense was basically ranked ahead of St. Louis and a bunch of 15/16 seeds. I'd be curious what his offensive philosophy is and if it may translate better to ACC athletes or if there is heavy reliance on a good big, or what. Cause his offense this year was....wait for it...offensive.

Hard to tell. They obviously need to offensive rebound better if they are going to shoot the FG% efficiencies that they did at Tulsa. They don't have any big guys though.

He could have a good offensive scheme that is only average because of a young team/their personnel. Or he could be a good a really crappy offensive coach. Impossible to know!

It's been reported that we put full court press on Archie who declined us and put out feelers for MW who said he was not interested. Apetit and I will be wearing black for the next week to signify our loss of MW.

Woof. Maybe there was nothing he could have done differently, but it's time for Wellman to hang it up.

Yeah, it looks like I was the first real Manning supporter here (granted, I placed him in my second tier at the time).

I still really wish Masiello had gotten his goddamn diploma. I think he would have entered the conversation alongside Manning.

Wouldn't Masiello have already inked his South Florida contract? I highly doubt someone leaves a job after a few days of signing his initial contact.

It's been reported that we put full court press on Archie who declined us and put out feelers for MW who said he was not interested.

Though others disagreed, I always thought it unlikely White would take an ACC job (particularly, a job at a direct rival of Duke's) when his dad is Duke's AD

KENPOM PREDICTIONS for next year:
Louisiana Tech- 34
Dayton- 35
Manhattan- 95
Illinois- 15
Tulsa- 45
UC Irvine: 55

So basically, it's a Small Sample Size Alert.

Seems pretty clear this is a wait-and-see hire.

We have reports that the dude can't recruit cause of a personality we can all see. He's never really recruited anyone to counter said reports. Its pretty much a donk hire but it maybe won't be so bad because anything is better than [Redacted] but odds are we were better off still having Dino.

We have reports that the dude can't recruit cause of a personality we can all see. He's never really recruited anyone to counter said reports. Its pretty much a donk hire but it maybe won't be so bad because anything is better than [Redacted] but odds are we were better off still having Dino.

Link to your BS about Manning's recruiting issues?

Tulsa fans want Mike White. That would be pretty embarrassing if they get him given he allegedly turned us down.

If White wasn't interested in our job because (a) he didn't want to coach against his dad and/or (b) he didn't think he was ready for an ACC job (and I've heard it both ways), Tulsa would seem to be a nice fit.

Would Cal go to the Lakers? Would they be interested?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24518323/rex-chapman-tweets-that-john-calipari-will-be-coaching-the-lakers

The Lakers acted fast to refute the rumor.

Former Kentucky Wildcat and NBA veteran Rex Chapman tweeted Monday before the Wildcats faced UConn in the national championship game that Coach John Calipari is headed to LA to coach the Los Angeles Lakers.

I mean, Chapman is connected to the Kentucky program. And Mike D'Antoni has reportedly been on the hot seat with reports indicating that Kobe Bryant is not keen on him returning next season. And Calipari has long been linked with interest to various NBA coaching jobs.

But this seems a little weird, particularly the timing of it. Is Rex Chapman really that plugged into the situation?

If it is true, the big question is what Kobe Bryant would think of it. Is he on board with a coach whose first run in the pros with the Nets didn't end well, especially the part where his tream drafted Kerry Kittles over Bryant? (Calipari has maintained he was forced into that decision.)

It would be a bold move for a franchise looking to revive itself faced with serious challenges in returning to contender status. We'll see what happens after the national championship game.

Back