• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our Next BB Coach or #MannUp + other coach talk

rank these hires for similar programs:

Donnie Tyndall to Tennessee
Kim Anderson to Mizzou
Cuonzo Martin to Cal
Wojo to Marquette
Danny Manning to Wake

ETA: It appears that Mike White turned down 3 of those programs and Ben Howland was offered none of them.

Last edited:
Eh, I'm not seeing it with Cuonzo. His best skill seems to be knowing when to leave a program right before the players his predecessor recruited graduate. I'd rather have Manning.

1. Manning
2. Wojo
3. Cuonzo
4. Anderson
5. Tyndall

Last edited:
A ton of not enough information for each of those hires, so anything is just a guess at this point, which allows one bias to take control of how they rate the coaches.

I'll abstain because I know little-to-fuck-all about any of them.

A ton of not enough information for each of those hires, so anything is just a guess at this point, which allows one bias to take control of how they rate the coaches.

I'll abstain because I know little-to-fuck-all about any of them.

I know VT won. Easily.

The era of high majors poaching the top mid major coaches is over.

Eh, I'm not seeing it with Cuonzo. His best skill seems to be knowing when to leave a program right before the players his predecessor recruited graduate. I'd rather have Manning.

1. Manning
2. Wojo
3. Cuonzo
4. Anderson
5. Tyndall

I actually like Cuonzo's resume. Pretty solid back to back top 75 KP years at Missouri St. Would have been excellent if he stayed for year 4 too. Coached a top 15-20ish team this year at Tennessee - even though they were a veteran bunch I think that's a clear positive. Really good advanced stats (rebound margins, low 3PA%).

Seems like a very low probability he is a bad coach. Definitely some high level upside too.

I actually like Cuonzo's resume. Pretty solid back to back top 75 KP years at Missouri St. Would have been excellent if he stayed for year 4 too. Coached a top 15-20ish team this year at Tennessee - even though they were a veteran bunch I think that's a clear positive. Really good advanced stats (rebound margins, low 3PA%).

Seems like a very low probability he is a bad coach. Definitely some high level upside too.

He's never recruited well. All his success has come on players recuited by his predecessors. Missouri St. started four seniors his last year, so I don't know why you think year 4 would have been good.

Same deal at Tennessee -- one good season with Pearl's players, but recruited almost nobody to fill them in. Tennessee isn't in great shape moving forward.

he actually taught me in high school, so i'm interested to see how it goes

I played against his sons in high school. Won the conference against them and they had 1 high major (Georgetown) and two other mid major players on their team. Great basketball family.

He's never recruited well. All his success has come on players recuited by his predecessors. Missouri St. started four seniors his last year, so I don't know why you think year 4 would have been good.

Same deal at Tennessee -- one good season with Pearl's players, but recruited almost nobody to fill them in. Tennessee isn't in great shape moving forward.

Cuonzo's entire 2014 recruiting class has bolted leaving Tyndall with only 6 scholarship players for next season. Ouch.

Saw a note in today's paper that Mizzou has retained Tim Fuller as Associate Head Coach.
So Kim Anderson didn't bring his own #2.

Saw a note in today's paper that Mizzou has retained Tim Fuller as Associate Head Coach.
So Kim Anderson didn't bring his own #2.

Anderson is definitely bringing his #2 guy, Brad Loos, with him. They've been together for 12 years.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/01/brad-loos-to-join-kim-andersons-staff-at-missouri/

Speaking of Missouri, Frank Haith wasted no time putting together a rather strange coaching staff @ Tulsa- Tom Abatemarco, Dennis Felton and Dave Leitao.

Seems to suggest they like Fuller as a coach-in-waiting and to help the D-II guy get up to speed in recruiting.

I just read that Jeff Battle is in the mix for an asst position @ Marshall.

Until now, I thought Duhon was still in the NBA.

I hope Battle gets hired by Marshall.

Back