• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Our WRs today

images

As we heard in the preseason, way too many dropped passes by Davis, Terry and Ragland. One could argue that the drops by Ragland and Davis cost us the game.

As we heard in the preseason, way too many dropped passes by Davis, Terry and Ragland. One could argue that the drops by Ragland and Davis cost us the game.

not a hard argument to make considering a tipped ball gave duke the winning td.

they were terrible today. I was WAAAYYY to high on Ragland coming out of camp it seems he may be a good practice player and that is it.

Yep hate to pile on but this entire position group pretty much lost the game hard stop. Terry, Ragland and Davis all had brutal drops

let's put it on Givens for abandoning us lol.

Where the fuck did Terry go after he had a pretty damn good game against UNC?

Ragland just looked completely uncoordinated on that drop. His hands were bobbling around before the bal even got there.

Davis got alligator arms b/c he was scared #4 was going to hit him.

Yup, I thought about that today after it was seemingly one drop after another. Outside of Camp, we don't have anyone else consistent at the receiver spot.

Didn't Tanner's fumble come on the very next play after Ragland's drop on the long pass? Which I believe came right after Jackson let that punt roll about 25 freaking yards.

And we aren't talking about "he probably should have had that - but it would have been a tough catch". Most of the ones today were right on the money that just went straight through their hands. Passes that just average D1 WRs would be expected to make.

Didn't Tanner's fumble come on the very next play after Ragland's drop on the long pass? Which I believe came right after Jackson let that punt roll about 25 freaking yards.
Which came right after we pissed away field position by not challenging their QB was down on the sack.

Yes,

Sequence is Ehrmann sacks Boone, but nobody cared to challenge the play to see if Boone's knee touched down. So that saved them approx. 10 yards. Great punt returner not on our team. Bad field position. Ragland can't catch as he has a broken finger. Price not sure what to do since he passed the ball 38 times when we were averaging 5 yards per rush attempt. Fumble. Duke TD. Game over. Awesome job.

Yes,

Sequence is Ehrmann sacks Boone, but nobody cared to challenge the play to see if Boone's knee touched down. So that saved them approx. 10 yards. Great punt returner not on our team. Bad field position. Ragland can't catch as he has a broken finger. Price not sure what to do since he passed the ball 38 times when we were averaging 5 yards per rush attempt. Fumble. Duke TD. Game over. Awesome job.

That entire sequence was the exact opposite of whatever awesome is. You could feel something bad coming after Ragland flat dropped that ball.

Yes,

I am not trying to play captain hindsight but Ragland's catching problems are not (or at least not entirely) because of his finger. I went to the spring game and it was crystal clear that with the ball in his hands Ragland is an "IT" kind of athlete but super raw of a WR. He doesn't run the greatest routes and he does not have dependable hands. None of them have dependable hands.

Davis at least made enough plays to partially offset his drops. Ragland made a nice play in the 1st qtr to reach behind for a catch but that was it. As others have noted, Terry seems to be a decent blocker FWIW. unfortunately though bohanon appears to be our 2nd best receiver this year.

I am not trying to play captain hindsight but Ragland's catching problems are not (or at least not entirely) because of his finger. I went to the spring game and it was crystal clear that with the ball in his hands Ragland is an "IT" kind of athlete but super raw of a WR. He doesn't run the greatest routes and he does not have dependable hands. None of them have dependable hands.

Very true. Really wish we had Billings around still. The miracle he work he did with our WR corps from '05 to '06 was straight-up astounding. We could use a little bit of that with these guys (sans Campanaro)

Davis at least made enough plays to partially offset his drops. Ragland made a nice play in the 1st qtr to reach behind for a catch but that was it. As others have noted, Terry seems to be a decent blocker FWIW. unfortunately though bohanon appears to be our 2nd best receiver this year.

not to call a guy out and I'm sure he feels worse than anyone, but a fumble and a tipped ball that got intercepted are pretty brutal - One nice and one decent catch don't offset that

Back