• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Out of bounds rule

Not after the fact. I want him to deal with at the time. Clemson is notorious for this. Maybe if he stood up with a little anger the players would pick up on it.

Well then you shouldn't end your rant by saying Ron Wellman needs to do something about it (obviously he isn't going on the field and screaming during a game) and saying Grobe should admit these guys screwed up in public. Those seem to imply you are just as pissed about a lack of a public outcry afterwards as your are about lack of yelling during the game. Either way, I still maintain yelling at refs really doesn't accomplish what you want it to. When was the last time somebody yelled at you, as a grown ass man, and you responded with anything other than a pissed off attitude to them. I know when somebody yells at me, my natural response isn't "They are right and I should do things in the future to avoid making them mad" but rather "Fuck that fucker. See if I do anything to help him in the future"

I wouldn't mind Grobe giving the refs a piece of his mind every once in a while. I don't know about football, but clearly in bball working the refs has an impact. My guess is letting the refs know they blew a call often results in you getting a close one later. Perhaps Grobe does let them know but in a subtle way. If so, I have no problem with that. I don't want a Will Muschamp on the Wake sideline, but I don't want a statue either.

I do agree with the OP that we have been shafted repeatedly down in Death Valley. I was there for the phantom 4th Q PI calls several years ago - absolutely cost us that game.

Just to add an interesting twist to this discussion-- my son was at the game rooting for Wake in a sea of Orange and he said at one point he thought they might beat him up because the officiating calls which were going against Clemson from their point of view.. I texted him a few times to tell him replay showed the calls 'against' Clemson were actually good calls-- this was in the 3rd period I think.

Actually, Grobe talks to the officials a good bit during the game. He does not show them up; but, I have a suspicion that he speaks rather frankly about his disagreements.

Well then you shouldn't end your rant by saying Ron Wellman needs to do something about it (obviously he isn't going on the field and screaming during a game) and saying Grobe should admit these guys screwed up in public. Those seem to imply you are just as pissed about a lack of a public outcry afterwards as your are about lack of yelling during the game. Either way, I still maintain yelling at refs really doesn't accomplish what you want it to. When was the last time somebody yelled at you, as a grown ass man, and you responded with anything other than a pissed off attitude to them. I know when somebody yells at me, my natural response isn't "They are right and I should do things in the future to avoid making them mad" but rather "Fuck that fucker. See if I do anything to help him in the future"

Wellman told me that they very much agreed on the miami call and that they dealt with it privately. That one was pre-mediatated and blatant.

I do wish that Grobe would chew someone's ass. Not all the time but at some point being nice all the time is not productive.

Just to add an interesting twist to this discussion-- my son was at the game rooting for Wake in a sea of Orange and he said at one point he thought they might beat him up because the officiating calls which were going against Clemson from their point of view.. I texted him a few times to tell him replay showed the calls 'against' Clemson were actually good calls-- this was in the 3rd period I think.

The crowd did not like the holding call on Price (their tackle) but it was a hook on Thompson and had to be called. They did miss a hold on Bohannon on the next drive that could have been called but was not awful.

Clemson is a dumb crowd. They boo illegal proceedure.

Wellman told me that they very much agreed on the miami call and that they dealt with it privately. That one was pre-mediatated and blatant.

I do wish that Grobe would chew someone's ass. Not all the time but at some point being nice all the time is not productive.

Fair enough. I have never refereed sports, so I am just going on my personality but I wouldn't respond so well to people yelling at me. I can agree with you that he should probably get fired up even if it doesn't accomplish anything, I was just pointing out that I didn't think him yelling at the refs over any of those calls would have amounted to any call going differently that game. Buttermaker is correct that in BBall it seems to make a difference but most of the time it seems as though it is somebody who gets the benefit most times yelling about when they don't (Coach K, etc) so it seems like it helps when in reality it is just a regression back to the mean. The few instances of it making a difference I can recall with clarity (Seth Greenberg a bunch) happen when they constantly yell and that just is not how I would ever want a WFU coach to carry themselves. In the end I agree with you that some of those calls were simply inexcusable and while they may not have affected the final outcome the refs really just screwed the pooch on the calls.

In Dan's blog he says that coach Grobe said that the officiating Sturday had some calls with which he disagreed, but because they work hard he does'nt have a problem with it.

I do have a problem with it. I am sick and tired of getting butt jammed by the refs especially at Clemson. The previous two close games down there had some bizaree calls including three face guarding calls in OT against us when of course face guarding does not exist in college.

Maybe this is part of the fucking problem around here. The refs killed us Saturday.

- The Touchback - It was not close a completely made up call.
- The spot on 4th and inches - the pile moved.
- The out of bounds catch - not even close. It is not an "opinion" his feet were on the line.
- Defensive Holding on virtually every one of our pass plays in the 2nd half

The holding call in that Miami game in 09 that cost us the game was pre meditated. It is clear when you wath the tape.

Yes, I do have a problem with this. I put my money and effort into supporting this team and Grobe needs to clean out his head gear and go after someone. Maybe if the refs had a little fear about screwing us they would think twice.

Ron Wellman can kiss my ass too on the same topic. Do something about it!

No excuse for losing that game saturday and the idiot chicken shit refs were a big part of it whether Mr. sportsmanship cares to admit this in public or not

This.

did they even review the touchback? seems like marshall's feet were both on the 1 yard line side of the goal line with the ball on his left hip. how could the ball possibly have broken the plane of the goal line when it was on the other side of his feet which were in the field of play?

IsThisHolding.jpg

Holding2.jpg

How about illegal hands to the face on fatass in that first pic?
There is holding on the line on every play which is commonly accepted by players, coaches and the reffs. Holding a WR is a different story.

Question : In college if a receiver jumps to catch a ball and is then contacted by the D and is pushed OOB before coming back down inbounds, is the pass incomplete? If so why didn't Kenny push 80 OOB?

Also re: above pics, unless the OL hands are outside his shoulders, I don't think any ref will call holding. Exception may be if OL takes his man to the ground, thereby tackling him. How long OL holds on is also a big factor.

Last edited:

So, Grobe and Wellman deal with these things in private? And with what result? I don't see our games being called much better, and we got jobbed at Clemson again.

Einstein (IIRC) once said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

So, Grobe and Wellman deal with these things in private? And with what result? I don't see our games being called much better, and we got jobbed at Clemson again.

Einstein (IIRC) once said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Luckily he only said it once.;)

My God! Clemson fans are dumb.

absolutely

what a fucking moron. First you can grab the other player inside the shoulder line and use your hands. Holding is called when you hook and change the direction of a player.

This is so weak it just proves the point of thsi post.. GO back to Pickens.

Back