• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Outcasts v. Current Team: Who would win? O/U

If you could add some of our all-time great Outcasts to the squad, we would really have a game. C- Loren Woods, F- Jaime Skeen, G-James Griffin, G-Richard Joyce, F-Kevin Swinton

This is a ridiculous argument, and even you know it.

Do I need to redo the post I made on Deaconsports pointing out how the 2010 Kansas team was similarly upset despite having more talent and one of the best coaches out there? (a coach [Redacted] was 0-6 against).

Dino panicked and started a frosh who never started a game in his life over an upperclassman.

You neglect the other major part post about our team being unzonable.

It wasn't just losing that game. It was much more, but you just take the part that you need.

Dino panicked and started a frosh who never started a game in his life over an upperclassman.

You neglect the other major part post about our team being unzonable.

It wasn't just losing that game. It was much more, but you just take the part that you need.

I am taking the part that is obviously false. Again, teams get upset all the time, including teams with more talent than that one.

Dino was not a good coach. Maybe [Redacted] is a better one. I have yet to see anything that proves it though.

ETA: Also, the entirety of that post was about the tournament. Had nothing to do with our problems against the zone (which were, largely, Dino's fault).

Outcasts would turn the ball over at least 30 times. Those 5 players are some of the worst we've ever had in terms of ball security.

Dino can't hold [Redacted]'s jock as a game coach.

I'm not saying [Redacted] is great only that Dino sucked big time. Had [Redacted] had the Farouq, JT, James, Ish. LD team , they would have at least made the Sweet 16 and maybe more.

Hell if most good HS coaches had that team, they would have done much better than Dino did.

Classic.

To be fair to RJ, to make the Sweet 16 that year WF only had to beat Cleveland St. and an incredibly shallow Arizona team that was in complete disarray. It doesn't take that great of a coach to get those two wins.

To be fair to RJ, to make the Sweet 16 that year WF only had to beat Cleveland St. and an incredibly shallow Arizona team that was in complete disarray. It doesn't take that great of a coach to get those two wins.

but we didn't.

large part of losing that game was the coach showing fear and switching starting lineups against a clearly inferior team.

TBR, this is also a factor in that game. But you want to think superficially.

I understand your point. But isn't the entire premise flawed because it assumes that Coach [Redacted] would actually get the team into the NCAA Tournament to begin with? Has [Redacted] ever won a NCAA Tournament game?

I understand your point. But isn't the entire premise flawed because it assumes that Coach [Redacted] would actually get the team into the NCAA Tournament to begin with? Has [Redacted] ever won a NCAA Tournament game?

You can't that be hate-filled. can you?

With the talent that we had, if you just put five guys out on the court, we would have made the NCAA Tournament. To think that [Redacted] wouldn't have gotten that team to The Dance shows you to be totally irrational.

No one should ever take anything you say about basketball seriously again.

but we didn't.

large part of losing that game was the coach showing fear and switching starting lineups against a clearly inferior team.

TBR, this is also a factor in that game. But you want to think superficially.

You talk so much shit out of your ass, it's really just ridiculous. First, Dino didn't do the switch out of fear, he did as a disciplinary measure. How would it make sense for him to do it out of fear? Mcfarland was the better player. Yes, that's a stupid time to take such action but given that his boss evidently didn't like that he started Mcfarland the next year against Kentucky maybe it wasn't so stupid. Second, even if he had that isn't what caused us to be shellacked. You're trying to pin the downfall of that team on a single, solitary decision by Dino. That's absurd and shows how hate-filled you are. That team fell apart for multiple reasons, including Dino's coaching, but also including the players inability to get along with one another. Of course when such a thing happens with players inherited by [Redacted] he gets a complete pass from you.

Again, upsets happen all the time and some pretty good coaches have been upset over the years. Bill Self (#14 over #3, 2005), John Thompson III (#13 over #4, 2010), Bob Knight (#13 over #4, 1998), Coach K (#10 over #2, 1997), Jim Calhoun (#10 over #2, 2000), Jim Boeheim (#13 over #4, 2005). I'm sure I could find some more if I wanted (in fact, the only coaches that I looked up that hadn't been properly upset at some point in their careers were Gary Williams and Tom Izzo, their worst losses being to #10 seeds as #7s). The whole point is that March Madness is about upsets so to assert with certainty that any other coach would have avoided the upset is ludicrous.

And, frankly, I don't even know what "think superficially" means in this context.

Not saying [Redacted] is the anti-Christ equals giving him a pass to you.

Of course there are upsets I never said there weren't. What I said was any competent coach would have gotten much more out of the level of talent Dino had.

I'm not going to get personal with you. Over the past forty plus years, i've been watching Wake basketball only Bob Staak was a worse coach than Dino.

Not saying [Redacted] is the anti-Christ equals giving him a pass to you.

Of course there are upsets I never said there weren't. What I said was any competent coach would have gotten much more out of the level of talent Dino had.

I'm not going to get personal with you. Over the past forty plus years, i've been watching Wake basketball only Bob Staak was a worse coach than Dino.

First, you are always getting personal by making unreasonable and inaccurate generalizations, just as you did in this post. Second, anyone who doesn't think [Redacted] should be fired is giving him a pass for this year and last. You can argue that it is reasonable to give him a pass given the situation that he inherited, but that is exactly what you are doing.

By definition every coach I listed didn't get as much out of their talent as they could have when they were upset. The difference between them and Dino is that 99% of the rest of the time they can eek every drop of talent and potential out of their players while Dino couldn't do that even a majority of the time.

Dino wasn't a good coach. I am not trying to argue otherwise. What I am arguing is that your assertion that any other coach would have automatically made the Sweet 16. At least you backed down from saying that any other coach would have made the Elite 8. I suppose that's progress.

First, you are always getting personal by making unreasonable and inaccurate generalizations, just as you did in this post. Second, anyone who doesn't think [Redacted] should be fired is giving him a pass for this year and last. You can argue that it is reasonable to give him a pass given the situation that he inherited, but that is exactly what you are doing.

It's ludicrous to say it's personal to take things anyone says is "unreasonable and inaccurate generalizations" as personal.

It's not giving him a pass if he was tasked with tearing down the problems and rebuilding. That was his job description and duties he was given.

By definition every coach I listed didn't get as much out of their talent as they could have when they were upset. The difference between them and Dino is that 99% of the rest of the time they can eek every drop of talent and potential out of their players while Dino couldn't do that even a majority of the time.

I never said people don't get upset. I was specific about the team.

Dino wasn't a good coach. I am not trying to argue otherwise. What I am arguing is that your assertion that any other coach would have automatically made the Sweet 16. At least you backed down from saying that any other coach would have made the Elite 8. I suppose that's progress.

With level of talent (three Top 20 picks) and balance, any competent coach should have gotten to the Sweet 16 or better. When you add the ease of the draw, the logic is even stronger.

TBR, let's see if you can be honest.

You allege I said:

"At least you backed down from saying that any other coach would have made the Elite 8. I suppose that's progress"

I DIDN'T say "any other coach would have made the Elite 8."

Here's what I said:

"I'm not saying [Redacted] is great only that Dino sucked big time. Had [Redacted] had the Farouq, JT, James, Ish. LD team , they would have at least made the Sweet 16 and maybe more."{

"MAYBE more" is quite different from the words you are trying to put into my mouth.

I just want to get this back on track. Can you seriously imagine how many turnovers the outcasts would have? They'd also be pretty terrible at perimeter defense, and anyone could get to the hoop at will. Team Outcasts has the shotblockers to nullify some of those points in the paint, but JTT and Ari Stewart personify matador defense.

Well Melvin couldn't play more than ten minutes without getting tired. The last pass may be the inbounds pass.

Back