• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Outdoor Gear Recommendations

If you have a good J-stroke canoes are fine in flat water. Canoes are so pretty fun in white water.

The guy I bought the canoe from also has a john boat for sale, $600 I believe. We've already got a river boat, so I had no interest in it.

I stopped by Outdoor Provision Co yesterday afternoon and picked up some canoe pads, so we're going to try and strap it to the top of my truck. I wont have the full rack built yet, but the more I thought about it, if people can haul them on top of their Subaru's, I shouldnt have any trouble with my truck.

Take that canoe down the river, you shoeless farm boy.

The canoe was nice and light, but I see why its considered a whitewater canoe. Its more flexible, and while perfectly fine on open water, it tended to flex and wobble a little. Still not a bad deal for what we paid for it, and it'll be nice to have in the arsenal.

Looking to pick up a 6-man tent at REI. I had my eye on this one by Eureka!,

http://www.rei.com/product/881376/eureka-silver-canyon-6-tent

but the salesperson recommended this one by REI.

http://www.rei.com/product/827807/rei-kingdom-6-tent

I think the main advantage of the REI model is two doors, whereas the Eureka! has cabin walls and maybe a little more volume. Both have a full fly. Anyway, he told me they were having a garage sale on Saturday where they sell lightly-used returns and hinted that I'd be able to find what I needed at a great price. They have to accept all returns as part of the co-op membership deal. So, I'm going back on Saturday. The everyday price on the REI model is higher, so we'll see.

Yeah, I think the main benefit would be exiting the tent in the middle of the night while causing the least disturbance to others. Great ventilation on both tents.

I've got an REI-brand tent (not that size) and love the quality. It also sets up much easier than others I've had of the same size.

Two doors plus the ability to make it a two room tent is a big plus of the REI tent.

The kingdom 6 is one of my absolute favorite tents. wayyy better than the eureka. the pole design makes it roomier inside, two doors is a must on any tent for me (unless it's a one-person tent), and the divider in the middle makes it a great group tent (or family tent) because you can zip kids into their own area and they feel all rad and independent in their own space without them actually being in a separate tent.

make sure you get the footprint for it as well.

Hmmm, looks like the Eureka has 2 doors after all, according to the Specs page on the website, contradicting the salesperson last night. Confirmed by the pic too. I guess I'll have to decide if the REI tent is somehow worth an extra $150 and compare that to anything available at the Garage Sale.

In most tents, it's a door on one side and a window on the other, is what I meant. You can still climb out as needed from the other side, just a little less convenient for the middle of the night piss.

what's the group you're using it for? you have kids, right? for that reason alone, the ability to zip them away at night in the separate compartment is worth it. plus, again, the inside of it feels roomier because of the pole support. i also really like the mesh paneling on the one half; makes it a lot more comfortable to sit in there and hang out if bugs are bad outside, etc. the rain fly design builds in a longer vestibule area, too, so you have a good place to kick of dirty shoes and still have them covered well if its' raining (i don't like the two-sided roll-up zippered design of the vestibule on the eureka's rain fly).

i know i'm an REI homer, but the kingdom tents (4 and 6) are just so great.

2 main points here on the tents. The set up and take down of the REI tent is going to be vastly easier. Also If it rains water is going to get in the Eureka, where as if you setup the REI tent correctly you should stay dry.

If you are going to use this thing twice a year, and only use it on weekends you know you will have nice weather buy the Eureka. If you want to do any longer stay camping trips or are planning on using it frequently pay the extra $150.

There are like 200 people in line at this motherfucker. Waiting to go in.

Wound up paying full price for the Kingdom 6. There was one there that another guy found that had been used once and retuned because it was too small.

Also found a camp chair that had been owned for four years and returned because it wasn't being used anymore. Price was $3.50.

Back