• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Outdoor Gear Recommendations

I'm going 12 miles on Saturday with my old boots - going to try once more before buying new ones. I read that if you use more overhand knots in the lacing it will keep your foot from sliding forward on downhills, which is my problem. Thanks for the input all!!

I'm going 12 miles on Saturday with my old boots - going to try once more before buying new ones. I read that if you use more overhand knots in the lacing it will keep your foot from sliding forward on downhills, which is my problem. Thanks for the input all!!

Thicker socks may help

I mentioned this on the CT.

As of last night, we're now the owners of a We-no-nah Rogue, kevlar canoe. We got one hell of a steal on it, and we're pretty stoked. It needs a little work, but all in all its pretty awesome. Its less than 60 lbs, which makes transporting it a breeze. We'll most likely get a dry storage box for it, but add very few other accessories.

wpid-ck-boat-book-wenonah-rogue.jpg

nice! other than a clip-on drink holder, not sure what other accessories you'd really need :)

Are you sure you worked at REI, because accessories are a pretty big deal ?

nice! other than a clip-on drink holder, not sure what other accessories you'd really need :)

The guy who owned it before use had patched a few places, so I may go ahead and get some more sealant just to tidy it up. The biggest thing is the dry box, and some foam pads for the top of my truck for hauling. Sometime next week I'm going to build one of these for the bed:

I hope to do a lot of fishing from the canoe, but that will depend on the stability. From the reviews I've read, this canoe is perfect for swift water, but not as maneuverable on open water.

The guy who owned it before use had patched a few places, so I may go ahead and get some more sealant just to tidy it up. The biggest thing is the dry box, and some foam pads for the top of my truck for hauling. Sometime next week I'm going to build one of these for the bed:

I hope to do a lot of fishing from the canoe, but that will depend on the stability. From the reviews I've read, this canoe is perfect for swift water, but not as maneuverable on open water.

canoes in general aren't great on open water because the bottom is too flat/there's no discernible keel and their float line (i'm making that term up) is lower on the hull. basically, they float too high and aren't built for great tracking in the water. plus, you sit higher than you would in a kayak so they're more top-heavy/responsive to your movements. the shape allows them to do well in swift water, though, and in smaller flat water you would also be fine. as long as you stay centered, the stability should also be good - but that's something that i think you get used to over time/use.

i'd also consider a little canoe cart if you don't have on; even though it's only 60# it can be nice to haul it one-handed (or if wifey wants to take it out and doesn't want to lug 60# around)(not that she cant, but in case she doesn't want to)
731_3.jpg

lbe's concerns about the canoe are valid. Should have gotten a paddleboard.

Tsy, of all people, needs a jon boat with a big motor.

The guy I bought the canoe from also has a john boat for sale, $600 I believe. We've already got a river boat, so I had no interest in it.

I stopped by Outdoor Provision Co yesterday afternoon and picked up some canoe pads, so we're going to try and strap it to the top of my truck. I wont have the full rack built yet, but the more I thought about it, if people can haul them on top of their Subaru's, I shouldnt have any trouble with my truck.

It did. I'm not sure if he put it on craigslist, but if you take Peace Haven in Clemmons Westward to the end, turn left on Lasater Rd and its 1/4 down on the right.

Nice. That'll be a good deal for someone. I already have a jon, and I'm no longer in W-S anyways.

Back