• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

P90X

Honestly, I find my gym membership is pretty much wasted when I'm doing these routines like P90X, Insanity, T25, etc... A gym membership is usually gonna run you about $30/month, give or take depending on where you live. These workouts you can do whenever you have time from the comfort of your home. If you go through 3 of the them (say the 3 I mentioned), you end up spending about what you would on a gym membership for a year and you have enough diversity in your workouts to pick and choose what you want to do.

So unless you like to swim or something for exercise where you need your gym, I'd recommend against a gym. Plus you'll save on gas not driving to the gym and it's much easier to get motivated for a workout if you don't have to get in your car to do it.

I've tried P90X (and similar products), and I was (am) way too fat/out of shape to do it. So I guess part of it depends on your fitness level. If you are out of shape, I think the Y is a great place to get started. There are plenty of classes, and let's face it, when you're fat, any of them are better than nothing. Plus, at least for me, I swim a ton of laps a week - that's a lot easier on fat guy joints while still burning calories.

Long story short: Y for me. But if you are already in pretty good shape, P90X would be a great thing to rip through for 3 months. You'll get in phenomenal shape.

Overall, what do you guys think of the product? I'm debating getting a membership at the y vs p 90 (totally different, I know)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Your goals will be a big driver. If you want to gain muscle and/or strength, then lifting at the gym will be far superior. If you're looking to cut then the videos would be viable. Personally, I'd look into Youtube videos before spending $$$ on BeachBody programs. Whether it's Tony Horton or someone with a Youtube channel (Scooby's Workshop* is one example) yelling at you to do pushups and burpees** doesn't really matter.

*Scooby's is only used as an example, this is not an endorsement
** I know the programs are more than pushups and burpees

I prefer working out at home. Get more done, get's family involved, and fits schedule much better. And no there are no You Tube videos that come close to Beachbody programs. If you want to build muscle then use Body Beast. I have had two friends use it gaining between 10-15 pounds of muscle. But if you are way out of shape start with Combat or Power 90 before going to something harder.

I prefer working out at home. Get more done, get's family involved, and fits schedule much better. And no there are no You Tube videos that come close to Beachbody programs. If you want to build muscle then use Body Beast. I have had two friends use it gaining between 10-15 pounds of muscle. But if you are way out of shape start with Combat or Power 90 before going to something harder.

What a surprising conclusion from a Beachbody coach that the product that puts $$$ in his pocket is better than free Youtube vids.

I've tried P90X (and similar products), and I was (am) way too fat/out of shape to do it. So I guess part of it depends on your fitness level. If you are out of shape, I think the Y is a great place to get started. There are plenty of classes, and let's face it, when you're fat, any of them are better than nothing. Plus, at least for me, I swim a ton of laps a week - that's a lot easier on fat guy joints while still burning calories.

Long story short: Y for me. But if you are already in pretty good shape, P90X would be a great thing to rip through for 3 months. You'll get in phenomenal shape.

This is a good point. Before I tackled P90X, I was pretty out of shape (though not fat by any means) and went to the gym about 5-6 times/week for a little more than 2 months doing 30 min of cardio and a little bit of lifting (nothing serious). It made the transition a lot easier.

This is a good point. Before I tackled P90X, I was pretty out of shape (though not fat by any means) and went to the gym about 5-6 times/week for a little more than 2 months doing 30 min of cardio and a little bit of lifting (nothing serious). It made the transition a lot easier.

I completely agree. P90X, despite what they tell you, requires a solid base level of fitness. Several years ago I did the original P90X for a few days and got absolutely crushed. At the time, I was really out of shape. Before I started P90X3 (which I use as a 2nd daily workout at times) I have been doing CrossFit at least 4 days a week (usually 5 or 6) and running/lifting on my "off" days. Now P90X3 doesn't give me any issues. I did the Warrior workout recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Eccentric Lower was ok. Same concept as Eccentric Upper, except the legs.

Had Incinerator today and it was awesome. Kind of like The Challenge of Phase 2, only a lot more dumbbell work. Between it and Eccentric Upper, phase 2 should show results in the upper body.

Nice, I start Phase 2 on Monday and am pretty excited. I actually enjoyed the Isometric workout in the transition week, I liked it better than the traditional yoga workouts.

Had MMX today. Like Kempo X, only with more sprawls and only 2 short 30 sec breaks. Kempo never really was much of a workout. This one definitely made me sweat.

I've been disappointed with the lack of an ab routine incorporated into P90X3. I guess that in keeping it 30 min long, they can't really do that. However, mine did ship with the Ab Ripper X3 or whatever the hell it's called, and I decided to put that in after the MMX workout today. Like the original Ab Ripper, it is only 15 min. It is also brutal. The original was awesome, but this one is probably better. I could at least get through the original.

I'm sure this has already been addressed but my head is spinning after trying to sort thru this thread so I'll ask it anyway:

What would be a good home based program that incorporates help with diet for a couple of late 20's folks that have not really worked out much (really at all) over the last few years but aren't really fat fat either...

Looking to start a program with the wife. I'm thinking we may need more of a beginners routine to start but i dont want to go join a gym either because i dont think we have the time and motivation to stick with that

If starting from scratch, IMO nothing beats the original P90X. If you stick with it, it will kick your ass into serious shape, especially if you follow the diet.

Eccentric Lower was ok. Same concept as Eccentric Upper, except the legs.

Had Incinerator today and it was awesome. Kind of like The Challenge of Phase 2, only a lot more dumbbell work. Between it and Eccentric Upper, phase 2 should show results in the upper body.

Agree on this. I think Eccentric Upper and Incinerator are the two most difficulty Beach Body upper body workouts so far. To have them both in the same week is brutal, but should show great results.

Did triometrics for the first time last night. That was much harder than I expected.

P90X3 will be in on Thursday. I'll probably start it this weekend. I'm pretty stoked about only having to exercise for 30 minutes at a time, even if it does kill me.

Did triometrics for the first time last night. That was much harder than I expected.

Yeah, that one is rough. Have you tried Eccentric Lower yet? After the first time it was honestly tough for me to walk the next day. I've actually stuck on Phase 2 for a couple additional weeks because I love the workouts so much. Think I will roll over to Phase 3 next week.

P90X3 will be in on Thursday. I'll probably start it this weekend. I'm pretty stoked about only having to exercise for 30 minutes at a time, even if it does kill me.

Have you done anything to prep for it, or are you going in cold? The workouts are short, but they are non-stop and intense. Maybe 1 or 2 minutes of break throughout the 30. I think trying to keep the pace is the most important part.

3 more weeks till the original P90X is done, then vacation, then starting X3. Looking forward to it (if just for a change of pace)... Good to hear the positive reviews.

Back