• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Paris

I think it is essential to accurately understand and define the enemy. These people are motivated be a fundamentalist view of Islam. They do not want better incomes and they don't care about wold opinion or hashtags or freedom. Global warming is certainly not an issue here. By ignoring the term "Islamic" or Muslim" we are giving Islam a free pass that they do not deserve. The countries that support or give this view of Islam shelter in their countries need to pay a price economically and in world status.

As long as we define Islam as a religion of peace that only has a problem on it's fringes, Islam will be allowed to continue as is. Islam needs to get it's own house in order. Countries that are not earnestly trying to stamp out this brand of Islam should be on a no trade list, should get no money from the US, and its citizens passports should not be valid in civilized nations. There has to be a culture change and a part of that is identifying and ostracizing evil. The countries that harbor Islamic fundamentalist need to know they will pay a big price economically and as a part of the world community if they cannot control their own extremism.

If the Islamic countries of the world give no quarter to the extremist, it will be easy enough to defeat Isis militarily. We could abandon our enmity with Assad and join up with Russia to defeat ISIS. Until we have a strategy to deal with Islam in the countries that are fostering terrorist, defeating ISIS militarily will be somewhat irrelevant.

I think it is essential to accurately understand and define the enemy. These people are motivated be a fundamentalist view of Islam. They do not want better incomes and they don't care about wold opinion or hashtags or freedom. Global warming is certainly not an issue here. By ignoring the term "Islamic" or Muslim" we are giving Islam a free pass that they do not deserve. The countries that support or give this view of Islam shelter in their countries need to pay a price economically and in world status.

As long as we define Islam as a religion of peace that only has a problem on it's fringes, Islam will be allowed to continue as is. Islam needs to get it's own house in order. Countries that are not earnestly trying to stamp out this brand of Islam should be on a no trade list, should get no money from the US, and its citizens passports should not be valid in civilized nations. There has to be a culture change and a part of that is identifying and ostracizing evil. The countries that harbor Islamic fundamentalist need to know they will pay a big price economically and as a part of the world community if they cannot control their own extremism.

If the Islamic countries of the world give no quarter to the extremist, it will be easy enough to defeat Isis militarily. We could abandon our enmity with Assad and join up with Russia to defeat ISIS. Until we have a strategy to deal with Islam in the countries that are fostering terrorist, defeating ISIS militarily will be somewhat irrelevant.

This.

Very different from disproportionate, unrestricted violence....

This.

Very different from disproportionate, unrestricted violence....

So far apologies and James Taylor aren't working. The French President---someone who has some actually responsibility in this matter---seems to think a different approach is in order. In his words, France "will be merciless toward the barbarians of Islamic State group." Of course, this problem is actually real to him and he probably wants it addressed. His investment might exceed changing his FB profile pic. #thoughtsandprayers

Last edited:
So far apologies and James Taylor aren't working. The French President---someone who has some actually responsibility in this matter---seems to think a different approach is in order. In his words, France "will be merciless toward the barbarians of Islamic State group." Of course, this problem is actually real to him and he probably wants it addressed.

I would love for the barbarians of the Islamic State group to be identified and killed. All of them. By tomorrow.

I would NOT love for thousands of innocent people to die, who had no choice in their death.

You do realize that ISIS has militarily seized territory from other countries, right? And that the people on the ground fighting them are all muslims? There aren't any non-ISIS muslims supporting ISIS. ISIS's position is basically that if you are a muslim that hasn't or won't join ISIS you are a heretic that must be killed.

So far apologies and James Taylor aren't working. The French President---someone who has some actually responsibility in this matter---seems to think a different approach is in order. In his words, France "will be merciless toward the barbarians of Islamic State group." Of course, this problem is actually real to him and he probably wants it addressed. His investment might exceed changing his FB profile pic. #thoughtsandprayers

What approach have we taken in the region since 2001 other than killing people?

I'm disinclined to Blame America First, but you and ISIS have fun.

I am too. I'm also disinclined to pretend America is never to blame. I'm certainly disinclined to pretend that America's policies in the middle east aren't partly to blame for the current situation.

ISIS is also disinclined to Blame America First. First and foremost they blame other Muslims for apostasy, which is why they are systematically executing them.

I would love for the barbarians of the Islamic State group to be identified and killed. All of them. By tomorrow.

I would NOT love for thousands of innocent people to die, who had no choice in their death.

Those aren't the only two options.

What approach have we taken in the region since 2001 other than killing people?

We've spent trillions trying to build schools, roads, health care, judicial and executive institutions in multiple countries.

You do realize that ISIS has militarily seized territory from other countries, right? And that the people on the ground fighting them are all muslims? There aren't any non-ISIS muslims supporting ISIS. ISIS's position is basically that if you are a muslim that hasn't or won't join ISIS you are a heretic that must be killed.

I am not speaking of ISIS at this point. I am speaking about allowing this "diseased" part of the religion to prosper WITHIN their own countries in countries like Saudi Arabia. The issue is much greater than ISIS and needs to be dealt with internally. Force needs to be dealt with locally to stamp out this mindset. Incentives need to be provided by the countries that are currently in the 21st century.

I do not think ISIS would be hard to defeat militarily if they had no where to disappear to when they are cornered.

Back