• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pat Knight Goes Bananas

slothrop

Reaction score
Well, there's throwing people under the bus, then there's ... well, this.

Talk about the definition of throwing a player under a bus... or fleet of buses

"When I played, if you acted like the way some of these guys do, you got shoved in a locker with a forearm up against your neck and told you don't do that."

_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

wonder where he played.

"These kids are stealing money for being on scholarships"
"We might not win another game this season"

Would love to be at their next practice

That's one turd that fell right under the asshole. Fuck him. You're coaching Lamar, Patty. It's not the NBA.

His team was in the running for an NCAA Berth. the seniors had to be playing at some point.

The seniors could go into the tank for the rest of the year and cost his school a bunch of money by not making The Dance when they could have.

Part of that money should be deducted form Knight's salary.

That's one turd that fell right under the asshole. Fuck him. You're coaching Lamar, Patty. It's not the NBA.

You mean Lamar isn't full of high character kids? A couple chair throwings and throat elbows should set that culture right.

You mean Lamar isn't full of high character kids? A couple chair throwings and throat elbows should set that culture right.

Agree but I was speaking more to the fact that these are college students, not paid, professional athletes. If he's coaching the Lakers (LMAO) that's fine. But he's ripping on college kids. I understand his fire and I'm sure if he took the time, shut his fucking mouth for a while, and THEN went to the mic, he would've found a different way to say it.

Agree but I was speaking more to the fact that these are college students, not paid, professional athletes. If he's coaching the Lakers (LMAO) that's fine. But he's ripping on college kids. I understand his fire and I'm sure if he took the time, shut his fucking mouth for a while, and THEN went to the mic, he would've found a different way to say it.

Yeah. I'd like to know the success rate of a coach demeaning, insulting, and embarrassing his college age players in public. I doubt it's very high.

Sometimes players have to be read the riot act, although February of their senior year seems a bit late. In all sports, including basketball, the players have to fear the coach. You can't coach by just being their friend. Indeed, as Machiavelli would say, it's better to be feared than loved. Bench 'em, til they get it.

I'll be honest who cares at this point? They have to win the conference tourney to make the dance no matter what and he has done a great coaching job this year. They've moved up 100 spots in KenPom from the beginning of the year and despite a loss to Nicholls St. and Northwestern St. don't have any bad losses. They should have probably beaten SFA at home, but no harm no foul.

From the press conference it sounds like he's truly excited to be getting his own recruits in next year. Did he say that he had 8 new faces coming in?

I see little problem with his rant. If the players haven't been buying into what he's been saying in private and are still having problems, saying things publicly is not a bad idea. Hopefully it'll get the point across to the underclassmen and incoming players.

I understand 94's point about this being college and not the NBA but they are getting a scholarship to perform certain things, like maintaining a GPA and showing up on time to meetings and practice. If they can't even do that then they don't deserve the scholarship or to be coddled. But perhaps he could have made the same point and accomplished the same thing with a different rant. However, I don't see anything wrong with holding players accountable for their actions even if that includes calling them out publicly about it.

Pat Knight getting on a high horse strikes me as kind of funny given how he landed the Texas Tech job (ie: Bob basically forced Texas Tech to hire him).

where's the patknightfan parody already? c'mon people....

Back