• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Patriots cut DT Haynesworth

OrigScreaminDemon

Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/New-England-Patriots-cut-DT-Albert-Haynesworth-110811

The New England Patriots cut ties Tuesday with defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, the Boston Herald reported.

Haynesworth's release comes after a reported sideline confrontation during Sunday's game between Haynesworth and defensive line coach Pepper Johnson. The shouting match occurred in the third quarter of the 24-20 loss after Giants running back Brandon Jacobs scored on a 10-yard run.

It is unclear what was said between the two, but Haynesworth did not play the rest of the game. Head coach Bill Belichick said Haynesworth's benching was "rotation-related" after the game.

Haynesworth, 30, was acquired in the offseason in exchange for a 2013 fifth-round pick after a disastrous two-year run with the Washington Redskins, where he had signed a seven-year, $100 million deal in 2009.

The Patriots will reportedly owe Haynesworth the remaining $700,000 on his contract for this season unless another team claims him by 4:00pm ET Wednesday.

Haynesworth, who just three years ago was one of the most dominating defensive players in the league, was a major disappointment for New England, only playing 30 percent of the snaps in games where he was on the active roster, according to Pro Football Focus. The two-time Pro Bowler played in six of the team's eight games in a reserve role.

Last season, Haynesworth clashed repeatedly with Redskins coach Mike Shanahan and was suspended for the final four games for conduct detrimental to the team.

Panthers could still use him, but not worth the effort because the rest of the defense is so bad.

Pats made quite a few mistakes this offseason. The two big names they went after (Haynesworth and Ocho Cinco) have been complete busts. Meanwhile, they have one of the worst secondaries in the league.

haynesworth.gif

Well the Redskins might have bought the most expensive ticket to the stupid party. But at least we aren't the dumbest guy in the room.

A fucking shameless waste of talent and money. That this sack of spunk is so unrepentant about himself should be setting off alarms to all GMs.

It's so refreshing to see the patriots whiff hard in the draft and free agency the last couple years.

I like how that Philly O-lineman just stood there with a look of, "uhhh, now what in the hell do I do?" as Haynesworth just gave up on the play. Hilarious.

I like how that Philly O-lineman just stood there with a look of, "uhhh, now what in the hell do I do?" as Haynesworth just gave up on the play. Hilarious.

I like how he then launches the DE into the biosphere...

It's so refreshing to see the patriots whiff hard in the draft and free agency the last couple years.

I think they've still done pretty well in the drafts. A lot of their top picks are playing on the team now, plus they've stockpiled picks for the future.

Free agency on the other hand.... definitely has not worked out lately. This offseason free agency was horrendous. Last year was pretty bad too.

Last edited:
they had a bit of a lull and have been better at drafts recently, although those misses are the reason they are so thin on d right now. But Belichek needs to realize he cant run special teamers out there on d and expect to win games. I know Brandon Merriweather isn't awesome but they sure could use him right now.

Hanesworth as always been an ass. Even when he was good he was picking up fines for stomping people in the face.

He always seemed, to get along with Fischer, I wonder if he would go back to TN.

Well the Redskins might have bought the most expensive ticket to the stupid party. But at least we aren't the dumbest guy in the room.

Yeah OK. Pats gave up a fifth round draft pick and paid him $1.4 million this season. The 'Skins gave him a seven-year, $100M contract with a then-record $41M guaranteed

The Redskins started dating the skinny girl and spent way too much on her while watching her get fat. The Pats dated the fat girl. Both are failures.

Back