• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Peeps are leaving Kalifornia in droves

But the prices you brought up are not the norm. You picked extremes.

California has the highest median home price in the US, excluding only Hawaii. Higher than NY, NJ, and MA.

yeah but NJ is the armpit of America!

So poors can't afford to live there because it is incredibly desirable place to live and you somehow present that like a bad thing? Poor mouth breathers moving out makes California more awesome.

The weather is great, the scenery is amazing they have world class surf/beaches, skiing, wine, and women. If you don't love California your a jelly hater. Plus Asians are absolutely dominating there and taking advantage of the world class collegiate opportunities.

this is just such an awful fucking post.

as a person leaving california, i am leaving more for opportunity abroad and leaving america than anything else. though i think the housing crisis here is fucking awful and horribly unsustainable and inhumane, but hey once you buy a 1 million dollar 2 br apartment you can;t just be for affordable housing, so......

California has the highest median home price in the US, excluding only Hawaii. Higher than NY, NJ, and MA.

the three places in the us with the highest median home price/median income are la, sf, and san jose. it's over 9-1 in each. the national average is like 2.7. it's fucking insane and the bubble is coming.

the three places in the us with the highest median home price/median income are la, sf, and san jose. it's over 9-1 in each. the national average is like 2.7. it's fucking insane and the bubble is coming.

It seems like plenty of these people in LA are just baked in and have had their house without a mortgage and are just holding onto everything. There's only a couple square miles (actually a couple pockets of such) of desirable real estate and there's zero vertical builds in those neighborhoods. Supply and demand still holds true, and there are enough people who either make way too much money or just have the equity built into the house that they can stay there.

You'd think at the prices we're seeing people would be cashing out and selling, but maybe they all just took out mortgages, what do I know. There's just zero supply out there. And tax reform and HOA fees just make condos absolutely a sucker bet. Rent to buy ratio is like 40:1, and that's with low rates, once rates go up it will become even more crazy.

In California this week for an affordable housing conference, specifically supportive housing that targets populations like people experiencing homelessness.

The scale of the problem here is just bananas.

Step 1: hire more people to handle entitlements. It shouldn’t take 2 years to get a project approved that’s within walking distance from union station.

Society depends on a retail and service market of employees, not slaves living in slave quarters.

Yeah and teenagers living with their parents can work those jobs. If they grow up to be losers they can always move to Austin.

Last edited:
Yeah and teenagers living with their parents can work those jobs. If they grow up to be losers they can always move to Austin.

have you been to europe? compare/contrast your experience with retail/service industry staff plz.

Yes, service can be better but it depends on where you are in Europe and the cultural pride they put into serving food. I have no problem with the service in Austin, and typically I find that the 18 y/o out there hustling consistently is delivering better service than the 35 y/o hipster who thinks its my privilege that he/she is serving me.

i don't just mean tipping culture. i mean go to a convenience store in germany where the cashier speaks german and english better than a cashier does in the states. it's incredible. but we'd rather uneducated masses.

i am pretty sure that the kids in silicone valley are getting a quality education.

depends on the hs. the ones at good high schools probs arent working at the mall or a restaurant.

My father-in-law left a beautiful place on a canal in Ventura to move (against 3/4 of his children’s advice) to a lake in east Texas where they could get “more for their money”.

He’s moving back to CA.

I'm kinda annoyed I'm paying $1,000 a year so dudes can get 6 weeks of paid time off every time they pop out a kid.

family values? i'll be getting 5 months when i move to denmark.

i don't just mean tipping culture. i mean go to a convenience store in germany where the cashier speaks german and english better than a cashier does in the states. it's incredible. but we'd rather uneducated masses.

eh - people are pretty dumb around the world in general

Back