• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Penn State Penalties: $60mm, 4 year bowl ban, scholarship reduction, vacated wins

I think the release is related to some on going litigation. .which the NCAA was likely to lose.

Not sure if you meant this, but is quite the koinkydink this comes out the weekend after everyone else in the B1G besides Penn State stunk up the damn bed

There had been rumors about this for at least a week. I think it's more likely they followed the Ray Rice news to act as a buffer.

Penn State got punished less for covering up child rape than USC did for giving a player's single mom additional benefits. I'm just glad I don't see any PSU grads regularly.

There had been rumors about this for at least a week. I think it's more likely they followed the Ray Rice news to act as a buffer.

Penn State got punished less for covering up child rape than USC did for giving a player's single mom additional benefits. I'm just glad I don't see any PSU grads regularly.

That wasnt even USC, it was an agent.

This is bullshit, and completely unacceptable.

They do realize the outside world thinks they're a cult, right?

And while I shall brace for neg-rep, the NCAA has re-opened the investigation into UNC on the already investigated (and punished) allegations, while they are un-punishing covering up serial child sodomy from the very top of the University at Penn State (if the words "Lack of Institutional Control" are to have their plain meaning....you're telling me that was not what was happening at Paterno State?). Comparing the cases of UNC and Penn State, at this very moment by its own actions the NCAA has stated unequivocally the penalty is higher for academic fraud than serial child sex assault (UNC will still be under scholarship restrictions in 2015-2016 (and is awaiting even more punishment, past vacated wins, bowl ban (costing them an ACCCG appearance and as noted, ongoing scholarship bans) while Penn State is restored to full eligibility at every turn).

Is this real life?

Yep, it goes back to a court ruling in April where the court questioned the NCAA's involvement in a criminal matter.

This, and I think they were given incentives to meet benchmarks and institute a certain percentage of the 130 institutional corrections the Freeh report recommended.

And while I shall brace for neg-rep, the NCAA has re-opened the investigation into UNC on the already investigated (and punished) allegations, while they are un-punishing covering up serial child sodomy from the very top of the University at Penn State (if the words "Lack of Institutional Control" are to have their plain meaning....you're telling me that was not what was happening at Paterno State?). Comparing the cases of UNC and Penn State, at this very moment by its own actions the NCAA has stated unequivocally the penalty is higher for academic fraud than serial child sex assault (UNC will still be under scholarship restrictions in 2015-2016 (and is awaiting even more punishment, past vacated wins, bowl ban (costing them an ACCCG appearance and as noted, ongoing scholarship bans) while Penn State is restored to full eligibility at every turn).

Is this real life?
I don't agree with it but it seems to be a NCAA infraction versus criminal infraction issue. If anyone should be upset it is USC. They got an attitude with the NCAA but they are still serving time for a player eligibility issue they had nothing to do with.

I don't agree with it but it seems to be a NCAA infraction versus criminal infraction issue. If anyone should be upset it is USC. They got an attitude with the NCAA but they are still serving time for a player eligibility issue they had nothing to do with.

Seems like the NCAA should amend some rules to protect kids, as every program I know of does plenty of outreach with kids.

Putting the sanctions update aside... :couch: ...the on-field takeaway here is that Penn State is on the path to being very good again. Soon.

Franklin threw together a top 25 class for '14, ahead of such schools as Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, VT (I know, lots of caveats there). He's now working on a top-10 class for '15 which will likely get even better with a win over Rutgers Saturday. And...they have a blue-chip, sophomore QB with a full season under his belt.

Seems like the NCAA should amend some rules to protect kids, as every program I know of does plenty of outreach with kids.

PSU was doing outreach with kids... so no problem, rite?

I don't think anyone was going to commit illegal acts with children, but refrained because of potential NCAA violations for their program

I don't think anyone was going to commit illegal acts with children, but refrained because of potential NCAA violations for their program

I'm not suggesting that, but it's ridiculous that this shouldn't qualify as lack of institutional control.

Putting the sanctions update aside... :couch: ...the on-field takeaway here is that Penn State is on the path to being very good again. Soon.

Franklin threw together a top 25 class for '14, ahead of such schools as Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, VT (I know, lots of caveats there). He's now working on a top-10 class for '15 which will likely get even better with a win over Rutgers Saturday. And...they have a blue-chip, sophomore QB with a full season under his belt.

Obrien and Franklin were/are probably the best hires PSU could have possibly made.

Coincidence that the NCAA announced that it was lifting the PSU sanctions right after the Ray Rice tape went public, and the public focus was centered on the NFL and the Ravens? I think not.

Penn State will be a Big 10 power again, but with the nation's changing demographics, I am not sure that Penn State will ever be able to bring in the talent to compete for NC's again. The same is true for the rest of the Big 10. There is a population drain from the Midwest to the South and West. There is a reason that Big 10 has regularly disappointed on a national stage in recent years.

PSU is pretty much the only big time college program in the NE corridor until you get to Ohio or Virginia. That's a huge population, which should be theoretically filled with potential recruits. Unless I'm forgetting someone obvious. Cuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt maybe, but they're all 2nd tier.

PSU is pretty much the only big time college program in the NE corridor until you get to Ohio or Virginia. That's a huge population, which should be theoretically filled with potential recruits. Unless I'm forgetting someone obvious. Cuse, BC, Rutgers, Maryland, Pitt maybe, but they're all 2nd tier.

Yeah basically.

If you're ever at a sports bar on a Saturday in any major market from DC northwards you're gonna run into tons of Penn State fans

Yeah basically.

If you're ever at a sports bar on a Saturday in any major market from DC northwards you're gonna run into tons of Penn State fans

Penn State cranks out lots of grads from the State College Campus, and many more from the satellite campuses. Some of the students on the satellite campuses go to State College to finish. Also, because of the noted lack of other really big time football schools, Penn State gets a large number of bandwagon fans/Walmart alumni.

Back