• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Percentage of People Who Voted for Trump That Still Admit They Voted for Trump?

Percentage of People Who Voted for Trump That Still Admit They Voted for Trump?

• 100%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 75%

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • 50%

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
I didnt vote. If the Democrats answer to trump os to run a far left ideologue in 2020, I think I would regret not voting. If the answer is to run a strong centrist who unites the country I will be happy with my decision.

No Dem could unite the country. Republicans will never unite under a Dem.

You're a star Ph! You win the star of these week award! Ps: my comments were nothing but positive and admirable. You don't bend was negative. Just an FYI. That's for the other thread. Just in case u read this here.

RISCDEAC getting sloshed on a Sunday funday? I can dig it.

5b41242e4fe56286440e0536a24e9705.png

Sure, but his base is not really that big. Lots of Trump voters were anti-Hilary, business people who regret their vote, and religious types who don't much care for his style. He lost the popular vote. He doesn't win an election against Hilary tomorrow.

Sure, but his base is not really that big. Lots of Trump voters were anti-Hilary, business people who regret their vote, and religious types who don't much care for his style. He lost the popular vote. He doesn't win an election against Hilary tomorrow.

titcr

I also feel like people aren't very good at interpreting analyses or just manipulating/leaving out analysis that won't generate page clicks/ad revenue.

Political scientist Corey Robin also had a really good take on this article on Facebook:

This statistic has got people nervous: "A recent Monmouth University poll found that, of the current 41 percent of Americans who approve of the job he is doing, 61 percent say they cannot see Mr. Trump doing anything that would make them disapprove of him."

61% of 41% (and most of the approval ratings I've seen put Trump in the low to mid 30s) is 25%. That's exactly the approval rating Nixon had on the day of his resignation.

People, this is a democracy we're trying to win. We don't need unanimity, with every last defender of Trump lining up to publicly disavow their former support. We need a majority. That's all.

(If you don't follow him, then you really should. Dude is an expert on fascism and populist politics.)

Depends on the definition of "base." Was he talking about that 61% of 41% or the 79% of Republicans who approve of Trump (which are probably the same)? Or Republican voters as a whole?

Depends on the definition of "base." Was he talking about that 61% of 41% or the 79% of Republicans who approve of Trump (which are probably the same)? Or Republican voters as a whole?

The poll draws a distinction between two groups - people who solidly support and solidly disapprove of the president:

The one-quarter of the public who solidly support the president are more likely than the full population to be age 55 and older (46% versus 35% of all American adults) and less likely to be under 35 years old (22% versus 31% of all American adults). They are also more likely to be non-Hispanic whites (79% versus 65% of all American adults). They are somewhat less likely to hold a college degree (21% versus 29% of all American adults) but they are evenly split on gender (52% male and 48% female) similar to the population at large (48% male and 52% female). Their income profile is also similar to the full population.

At the other end of the spectrum, those who solidly disapprove of the president are more likely to be women (64% versus 52% of all American adults) and non-white (48% versus 35% of all American adults). They are slightly more likely to be college graduates (35% versus 29% of all American adults). This group’s age profile – 37% age 55+, 38% age 35-54, 26% age 18-34 – is fairly similar to the general public’s age distribution as is their income profile.

Robin is just saying that it's actually a small proportion of overall supporters who respond that nothing will change their mind. Regardless of whether supporters do end up voting against him or taking their support elsewhere remains to be seen, but he's talking about the 61% of 41% as a sign of hope, rather than despair.

I was talking about the "base" according to the GOP strategist's definition.

I was talking about the "base" according to the GOP strategist's definition.

Gotcha. I think that's kind of garbage, too. Does that mean that his base likes him even more than they did before? Each poll respondent only has one vote per person. All indications suggest that Trump is losing the middle that elected him and Clinton won't be running again.

Gotcha. I think that's kind of garbage, too. Does that mean that his base likes him even more than they did before? Each poll respondent only has one vote per person. All indications suggest that Trump is losing the middle that elected him and Clinton won't be running again.

I took it to mean Republicans he lost after failing on ACA repeal were back in the fold after Charlottesville.

I took it to mean Republicans he lost after failing on ACA repeal were back in the fold after Charlottesville.

I feel like we're talking past each other.

I posted the Robin comment because he gets at the fact that the strategist alluding to a Trump base is likely referring to a very small group of people. The strategist's wording is intentionally ambiguous, but the tone of the article is hardly positive.

Here is the rest of that quotation and some others from the article.

A GOP strategist working campaigns in red and purple states said that while support for Trump generally declined slightly since Charlottesville, support rose among his base, after a decline last month because of the failure on health care and revelations about the Russia investigation. This strategist said many Trump supporters applaud the president’s continuing desire to shake up Washington, favor his economic priorities and admire his willingness to speak his mind.

But he said Trump has nonetheless created a longer-term risk. “What he’s doing that’s harmful is he’s removing people from the persuadable audience, and that’s dangerous,” he said. “He’s taken an event where he could have added 5 percent of people to the persuadable universe and [instead] he’s dumped out 10 percent of them.”

A party activist noted that by many traditional metrics, Republicans are strong. “Then there’s the worst of times,” he said. “What happened in Charlottesville . . . reinforces our biggest problem as a party, which is one word, the perception of intolerance. . . . Whether true or not doesn’t matter. This reinforced that in a big way.”

The internal concerns go well beyond that, however. Party leaders and elected officials more closely tied to the establishment wing of the GOP see a succession of discouraging actions by the president, from his public criticism of Attorney General Jeff Sessions to the firing of former Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus as White House chief of staff and especially his attacks on Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

“What does the party do if it appears as though the president doesn’t support the leadership in the party?” said a Republican activist, who would not agree to be identified. “How does the party run if the person who supposedly runs the party doesn’t embrace the party? That is a big question. That is a conversation that is out there right now.”

But he conceded that the week’s events could complicate that path to success. “I would be very hesitant to say [Charlottesville] has real meaning six months from now,” he added. “I think where it hurts the most, it’s just another thing that makes it harder to get the middle-class tax cut done.”

Another GOP strategist put it bluntly: “I’m not trying to justify what he said, but there’s the practical issue. What you’re asking is, do Republicans break with him fundamentally? He’s the president. What are you going to do, impeach for this?”

Trump's Charlottesville comments didn't move the needle for Trump stans, but we knew that already. They're a relatively small group of rubes.

Last edited:
Amazing the people on OG are so upset at the racist vulgar language uaes here. Avalon suggested I take it down and I did. THIS IS WHAT RACISM IN AMERICA LOOKS LIKE. This is the language of HATE. THIS IS THE LANGUAGE THE KKK AND OTHER SPEAK. Maybe not Vladmitvitics or whatever his grandmother s name is but get real. All trump voters are racists? Well fellas here's the real deal. Next time you point fingers at trump voters and put them in ONE BIG FAT CLASS, THINK TWICE. offensive? You bet!

If you are a Trump supporter that agreed with his statements on Charlottesville and Confederate monuments, then you are a racist.

Does that narrow the class enough?

So far on this board it's 50%, right? 92 admitted he voted for Trump and JH, who we all know voted for Trump, will not admit it.

Approval among Republicans is unchanged at 79% post-Charlottesville per Gallup. Approval among Independents and Democrats went up slightly.

Back