• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perspective

I mean, we gave up 53 to a decent Nebraska team last night.

We didn't keep anyone under 55 points last year in the entire season. Heck, we only kept 2 terrible teams in the 50's at all.

If he can't teach defense, the team sure is figuring it out on their own pretty well...

My comment was mainly based on BabyDeac's comments in the past. It might be that the promotion of Corbean is helping in that regard. I can't believe that we had him sitting behind the bench for as long as we did.

I don't get why everyone feels the need to come here after wins or losses and play reality police. Let people be pissed when we lose, and for fucks sake let everyone be happy when we win. I don't think many people have gotten carried away with a victory over a pretty bad Big 10 school, it's just nice to come out on top for a change.

:golfclap:

Defense in the unresolved category is probably fair based on his last year at Colorado and first year at Wake. However, the following should be noted with regards to his squads defensive capabilities:

1. Last year was by far his worst defensive season as a coach. It was also his worst offensive season as a coach. It was a clear case of lack of effort, lack of IQ, lack of getting through to the players, basically a perfect storm. While us Wake fans will be less forgiving because it was at our school, last season appears to be a larger outlier than any of his good years were. Which makes it a terrible indicator from a predictive standpoint.
2. He has had 3 top 100 defenses in the last 6 seasons. Also, 3 top 100 offenses.
3. His offense has ended the season ranked better than his defense in 4 of the last 6 years, with the defense better in 2.
4. Thus far this season, the two are approximately even (slight edge to the D, ranked 158th vs. 165th).
5. His average offensive ranking is 108 out of 345. Defense is 132 of 345.
6. Through 7 games this season, our defense is 98 spots better than last year's with arguably less athleticism.
Anecdotally, they've played better the last few games as well and seem to be starting to get it, but that's my opinion, not a fact.

I don't know if there's a standout conclusion from the above other than the fact he has had successful defensive teams in the past, even with athletically challenged Air Force teams. That would point to the fact that defense will not necessarily always be a weakness of his teams, although it may not be a strength. I'll be interested to see how we look next year with what should be a group more athletically suited to playing defense than what he's had so far.

How many of his top 100s were at Air Force?

We are much better at both ends of the court than we were last year; that's for sure.

Two of each. His offenses were 27th and 24th, while his defenses were 90th and 36th respectively in 2006 and 2007.

2008, his defense at Colorado was 79th, while his offense in 2010 was 34th.

Could some of his offensive rebounding problems be a stylistic decision to limit opposing teams in transition?

How many of his top 100s were at Air Force?

We are much better at both ends of the court than we were last year; that's for sure.

We could be better at both ends than our #1 teams. We just had ridiculous talent.

We could be better at both ends than our #1 teams. We just had ridiculous talent.

That seems pretty irrelevant to what I just said.

Can't speak for the first #1, but in 2008-2009 our defensive was pretty solid. Half court offense was poor, but transition offense was pretty much second to none.

It's got to be all of an intentional decision to limit transition, a function of his motion offense being a perimeter based system, and a function of the skills of the players he has had, with as few as his teams grab. I'd love to know how much is due to each, but it's tough to say. It would be one of the first questions I'd ask him though if I had a chance, because the difference comes out to 3-8 extra possessions a game, based on his best and worst rebounding margin teams.

Mckie is the only person on our team who is a skillful offensive rebounder, and has 14 of our 52 so far this year. No one else has more than 8.

It's got to be all of an intentional decision to limit transition, a function of his motion offense being a perimeter based system, and a function of the skills of the players he has had, with as few as his teams grab. I'd love to know how much is due to each, but it's tough to say. It would be one of the first questions I'd ask him though if I had a chance, because the difference comes out to 3-8 extra possessions a game, based on his best and worst rebounding margin teams.

Mckie is the only person on our team who is a skillful offensive rebounder, and has 14 of our 52 so far this year. No one else has more than 8.

One of my biggest issues with Carson is his lack of "effort" (for lack of a better term) on the offensive glass. Maybe that's more due to coaching than actual effort/skill.

I don't think it is necessarily intentional, but more a by product of how the system is run with the players we have - but the lack of offensive rebounds looks like it comes from the position of our 4/5 guys in the paint - both Carson & Nikita are turn and face the basket guys, and when the shots are going up, they are normally 5-10 feet from the basket because they have opened a lane for a guard to dribble, drive & kick or they have moved out to take the shot and have to "crash the boards" to get position versus already being there. We rely on long rebounds on the offensive side or else we just don't have the position to get the majority of the balls.

I'm not keeping track of who is in or out, except for the obvious ones with 1000's of posts on the subject. but it's funny that there was no 'perspective' threads after the ASU whooping (despite the fact many have repeated we will probably have some really bad games from time to time).

That being said, we are 5-2 and only played one bad game. Sure we are not playing the #1 SOS in the country but last year we were just as likely to get run out of the gym by any of these teams last year.

Baby steps.

To go back to some earlier posts, It seems that if we play as hard as we can in conference we may do better than expected. UNC, Dook FSU,and possibly UVA appear better than the rest with NC State maybe getting in the top 5, the rest of us are up for grabs at this time so if the guys keep developing they may do better than we expect. Of course, the conference as a whole appears overall very weak this year, but for us that gives us a better chance.

the team appears to be giving far more effort this year and they seem to be playing better over all as well.

however, being ranked in the top 100 still does not dance. we need to continue to see improvement all season. that did not happen last year. i am cautiously optimistic that it may this year because i expected worse results than we have seen so far. i can't even begin to guess where wake is if we do see that improvement this year.

Back