• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

PGA Championship Contest

Surprised in the contest that nobody picked Phil and only one picked Koepka. Guess they were dark horses.

On pre-tournament matchups, Phil was a betting underdog head to head against Steve Stricker. After Phil crashed and burned over the final 3 rounds at the Wells Fargo, think almost everyone gave up on him.

This was the 1st time in a long time that Phil drove it relatively straight, so that's why he was on no one's radar. As for Koepka, I didn't like any of the favorites because they either weren't in great recent form or hadn't played enough. Koepka was in the latter category. I usually go with 2 150 types and load up on favorites with the last 100. But this time I went with a lot of middling guys who are good ball strikers for a tough layout. Was also nice to see Grace back in contention. I expect half of the international contingent next Fall to be from RSA. They have a lot of golfers in good form and a rising star in Higgo. Also want Bezoudenhout (sp?) make it so he can get some interviews. Listening to his is like listening to Brad Pitt's character in Snatch.

It's indeed a great venue that they should use once a decade. So my question is, if you can have a major at Kiawah with limited ticket sales, why can't you have a major at Spyglass Hill with limited tickets? It's a tougher layout than Pebble and just as beautiful.

None of these organizations WANT limited ticket sales, they were just forced to have them for the past 10+ months due to COVID. Unless you have a huge sponsor willing to pony up $5 milllion+ to cover lost ticket/hospitality sales out of the kindness of their heart, no organization like the USGA/PGA is just going to willingly take a bath on ticket sales just to hold it at a small venue like that. Their men's championship event helps supplement the budget for the hundreds of other championship events/tournaments they put on the remainder of the year.

It's indeed a great venue that they should use once a decade. So my question is, if you can have a major at Kiawah with limited ticket sales, why can't you have a major at Spyglass Hill with limited tickets? It's a tougher layout than Pebble and just as beautiful.

The limited ticket sales were due to covid, no other reason. It sounds like there were no issues with transportation this time, which was what Kiawah was slammed on in 2012. I do hope they bring it back in 2030. Otherwise, it looks like 2033 or later. It's too nice of a course not to get the PGA every decade.

I was out there all four days and it was a great event but definitely benefitted from limited attendance. Still it was very crowded on the weekend and if it had been at full capacity the closing stretch would not have been navigable with the stands on 16 - 18.

I was at the 1991 War at the Shore and 2 memories stand out. One, Payne Stewart's caddie blew me out. I was fairly close by and Payne was in a fairway bunker and his caddie was standing pretty close to me. I said to my buddy that it looked like Payne was having to hit the shot with a sand wedge due to the lip on the bunker. The caddie heard me and turned around and said "Of course he's using a sand wedge what the fuck you think he would use a 2 iron!!??" Rather startling.

The other memory was walking in the gallery next to Ray Floyd and his family (he had finished his match) and the family was in a huge fight and I was listening to them fight. His wife and kids were crying and they were not little kids - they were young adults. Like college age I would say. Maybe a couple years younger than I was. Floyd was pissed and being mean as shit and was very upset too. It was WEIRD.

Oh and the golf

As frequently as you name drop and you don’t know that Ray Jr went to Wake in the mid 90s?

Back