• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Photos of New Scoreboard Construction

Not really surprising at all. Wake continues to miss out on a pretty big faction of people who support the university: the students.

Hopefully the artificial crowd noise pumped in will be of the highest quality. Wow, sucks for students that there's no more student tailgate section. I had no idea about that one.

Aren't they moving it somewhere? How many other venues have tailgaiting areas just for students?

Aren't they moving it somewhere? How many other venues have tailgaiting areas just for students?

If I recall correctly, they are moving to students to the outskirts of the tennis courts, but aren't allowed on the courts themselves - someone on here is on the student tailgate committee and they can offer more insight

Man, fuck those tennis stadiums. They're seriously taking away one of the things that made the Wake football experience unique for students. Even when we had a crappy team, we had tailgating. Now it's just a crappy team.

In the 80s, students tailgated where the current blue lot is.

Not really surprising at all. Wake continues to miss out on a pretty big faction of people who support the university: the students.

the athletic department's strategy: students graduate. they complain now, but will be gone soon. in a few years no one will complain because it will be all the students ever knew.

to answer it:

no, they aren't moving the students anywhere. they just get less space and get to move to the periphery of the tennis courts. down to under 100 cars...so if the student section is 2500 students (guess) then there is only parking on-site for about 300, and that doesnt take into account the loss of partying space (it looks like there is about the same about of grass space as there was last year).

other schools do in fact have tailgating areas for students. how many? i don't know. if everyone else doesnt have one...does that mean we shouldn't have one? every school is different--some have on-campus stadiums, other have 40,000 students and couldnt have student specific space.

wake had a sweet student spot, now it is gone. the gameday atmosphere will struggle, but hopefully our crack sports marketing staff can generate some enthusiasm within the student body and build up the game day environment.
but i have my doubts...if you dont give a shit about the students' gameday experience, the students wont give a shit about gameday.

to answer it:

no, they aren't moving the students anywhere. they just get less space and get to move to the periphery of the tennis courts. down to under 100 cars...so if the student section is 2500 students (guess) then there is only parking on-site for about 300, and that doesnt take into account the loss of partying space (it looks like there is about the same about of grass space as there was last year).

other schools do in fact have tailgating areas for students. how many? i don't know. if everyone else doesnt have one...does that mean we shouldn't have one? every school is different--some have on-campus stadiums, other have 40,000 students and couldnt have student specific space.

wake had a sweet student spot, now it is gone. the gameday atmosphere will struggle, but hopefully our crack sports marketing staff can generate some enthusiasm within the student body and build up the game day environment.
but i have my doubts...if you dont give a shit about the students' gameday experience, the students wont give a shit about gameday.

Can't students park at LJVM like the General Public does?

the athletic department's strategy: students graduate. they complain now, but will be gone soon. in a few years no one will complain because it will be all the students ever knew.

Exactly. And things won't be nearly as bad for them as current students think it will. And then 10 years from now current students will tell the young people stories of how they had their own student tailgating area and it was super sweet. They used to bring kegs out in open site and nobody cared and people showed up to tailgate at 6 in the morning and partied all day and all night. Things were so much better back then and it sucks for students now.

Can't students park at LJVM like the General Public does?

not for free. and also, when the joel has events (the fair) those spots are long gone.

when there are no joel events, i fail to see how farming out student parking and tailgating to the visiting team lots is a good idea.

Exactly. And things won't be nearly as bad for them as current students think it will. And then 10 years from now current students will tell the young people stories of how they had their own student tailgating area and it was super sweet. They used to bring kegs out in open site and nobody cared and people showed up to tailgate at 6 in the morning and partied all day and all night. Things were so much better back then and it sucks for students now.

yeah, but they didnt have a "world class" tennis tournament going on during orientation! :rulz:

I don't think there was a student lot when I was a student.

are students honestly complaining about this? thats fucking lame. you get free tickets, and for the most part pretty good seats at that, to any home sporting event you want. stop acting like entitled little pricks. you aren't entitled to free parking or giant tailgating areas. just be lucky you go to a school that a) provides free tickets, and b) is small enough that you don't wind up entering a lottery just to get a nose-bleed seat. negrep me all you want but don't act like spoiled little oppressed bitches when something that you were lucky to have is taken away. just be glad you ever had it in the first place

I don't think there was a student lot when I was a student.

i think they did. but since neither of us are sure... our very shaky memories of something from over 40 years ago is immaterial. thanks for bringing zero to the table with this statement

i think they did. but since neither of us are sure... our very shaky memories of something from over 40 years ago is immaterial. thanks for bringing zero to the table with this statement

Sorry to have bothered you with my questions.

i feel as though I should add that I agree this is an unfortunate move for students, just don't think it will ruin the gameday experience or is an example of the school turning their backs on a "substantial" portion of support as was stated above. simple fact is students at Wake are very much encouraged by policies to support teams. when you stop getting free tickets to stuff, then you can really bitch about it. until then, losing some free parking/tailgating area is pretty inconsequential since students, myself included when I was there, were lucky to have it in the first place. somehow I think student's will find an effective way to drink/party before games again.

Yourfather and I sent you to college to get an education! You need to stop worrying about tailgates and get back to your homework, mister!

If you do happen to see Riley Skinner on campus, though, tell him I said thanks for the pics!

i feel as though I should add that I agree this is an unfortunate move for students, just don't think it will ruin the gameday experience or is an example of the school turning their backs on a "substantial" portion of support as was stated above. simple fact is students at Wake are very much encouraged by policies to support teams. when you stop getting free tickets to stuff, then you can really bitch about it. until then, losing some free parking/tailgating area is pretty inconsequential since students, myself included when I was there, were lucky to have it in the first place. somehow I think student's will find an effective way to drink/party before games again.

You're spot on. Students will still drink, attend 50% or less of the game and party afterwards. It will literally be the exact same experience. I've never seen such outrage over a damn parking lot.

These were the same students that left the "section" 50% empty in some tight ball games the past year. They're also the ones that were openly throwing and mocking the players as they came over for the fight song after the game. Theyre still our there busting their butts every damn day (a majority of them ill say, remember how many frosh and redshirt frosh played last year) and dont deserve to be trashed on after games like Navy and GT when theyre there to say thanks for coming.

Everyone is saying how this is going to hurt student "support." well there was little last year to begin with.

I'll even date back to the FSU game in Riley's senior year. we were 4-6, with a big time team in town and still playing decent football. The section was empty. There were maybe 50 people in the stands of the recognition of this school's most winning-est class.

The students are spoiled. Its too damn easy to get tickets to these events. Make them want football. If not, lets give it some church kids who might actually respect it.

Back