• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pinstripe Bowl vs Michigan State

All of this, ESPECIALLY in the bowl game, which is a reward for the players. Let the 5th year senior who has been a huge part of the program run a series. He knows how to run the offense. Move Newman to WR, TE, whatever. Have some fun. Really disappointing that this never happened.

People love to bust on Grobe for his conservatism. He let Alphonso Smith play offense in a bowl game for crying out loud. (It failed, and probably caused Grobe to be more conservative). Clawson makes Grobe look like a riverboat gambler.

True. Grobe also asked Alphonso to go block a punt or two.

I can't understand why everybody is nitpicking so much. 8 wins, as I've said all season is a successsful season for "THIS" team. Of course we could have won another game or two, but we definitely could have lost several we won. The overall ability of the team offensively and defensively was never more than ok, which for Wake Forest football is still better than the norm. No breakaway running backs, no dominant o-line, inconsistent qb play, lots of dropped passes, an offense that relied on trickery rather than talent, key injuries on both sides of the ball, and the list goes on. Clawson's not Urban Meyer, but he's done a pretty good job making us somewhat competitive. I say accept that double digit wins for Wake Forest is more of an ultimate one off goal than a legitimate level of expectation. We don't play the game in a vacuum and our success is more related to what our opponents can and can't do vs what we can a can't do. Our abilities are always limited. Our mentality isn't and that's where Clawson has done a damn good job.

No one is nitpicking. Rightfully our expectations are higher over the last 4 years and with the 7-1 start we clearly should have finished better. Injuries hurt but we did not adjust to what we had. This bowl game and two of the end of season losses were there for us to take and a lot of that has to rest on the coaching staff. O needs creativity and Special teams needed a full reworking.

899565220-e1514576308529.jpg

Military Bowl win over Temple was also in the gold helmet.

Conservatively, 7

Optimum 8.5-9

There is no such thing as having a conservative and optimum over/under. If your low end is 7, and your high end is 9, then you think the over/under should be 8.

There is no such thing as having a conservative and optimum over/under. If your low end is 7, and your high end is 9, then you think the over/under should be 8.

In fact I could take this further by noting that your conservative end is 7, which means you think we could go low at 6, and your optimum is 9 which means you think we could go high at 10. So anywhere from 6-10 wins, following a season in which we won 8. Heady analysis and way out on a limb.

In fact I could take this further by noting that your conservative end is 7, which means you think we could go low at 6, and your optimum is 9 which means you think we could go high at 10. So anywhere from 6-10 wins, following a season in which we won 8. Heady analysis and way out on a limb.

He’s better at snark than analysis

But not really good at either

Would be nice for Dave to take note of Clemson last TD call. The Tibow jump pass was a brilliant call. We need a little more imagination

Would be nice for Dave to take note of Clemson last TD call. The Tibow jump pass was a brilliant call. We need a little more imagination

And Clemson could run our O and still go undefeated vs ACC, BUT THEY KNOW IT TAKES MORE TO ACHIEVE THE NEXT LEVEL......

Coach really needs to get back inside the study hall. Some of this stuff has become fairly obvious like this post.

I’m going to start another thread later to discuss this in detail but we ran more plays than all but one team this year.

That one team was Hawaii. They ran one more play than we did. They played 15 games. And by “all” I’m including the NFL. Not only that but our defense was on the field for more plays than all but 15 college teams. Our players took and gave more hits and collisions than almost every football team at any level this season.

Clawson has to ask himself if a team with an NFL WR, game breaker at RB, good tough running QB, but depth concerns at OL and TE really needs to run at an extremely fast pace depending heavily on the RPO.

This is not a new concept. It is the main reason why most teams dumped the "They're going tempo!!!!!!!!!" offenses a few years ago outside of the 2-minute drill, and also the main reason why Chip Kelly is no longer in the NFL. Our coaching staff does not seem to understand that.

Back