• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Beekeeping Thread

Swarm #7 of this week from just a few hours ago. If anyone needs someone to get a swarm, have them check their local beekeepers association. There are always folks willing to catch the swarms.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240330_192913_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240330_192913_Facebook.jpg
    855.1 KB · Views: 21
Swarm #7 of this week from just a few hours ago. If anyone needs someone to get a swarm, have them check their local beekeepers association. There are always folks willing to catch the swarms.
That is a big swarm.

I'm guessing 3-4k bees. I hadn't planned to get another one today until I saw the size. Driving home, I swear a queen landed on my arm briefly before flying out the window. I'll check for a queen tomorrow, but the stragglers all entered the box like the queen was there, so I'm hoping maybe it was a swarm with two queens.

I've documented this week's adventures on our farm Facebook page if anyone wants to check it out, and/or give us a like.

the queen never came out despite a lot of smoke, so our guy has to come back and take the house apart to get them out. very fascinating to watch!

the queen never came out despite a lot of smoke, so our guy has to come back and take the house apart to get them out. very fascinating to watch!
What ended up happening to the house? Cutouts are well beyond my scope.

I spent most of the day prepping supers for deployment. After my surgery, I'll have a 6 week weight restriction, and the Mrs is going to get a crash course in beekeeping. I want to make it as simple as possible, so I'm prepping everything I can think of.

Was raining on Tues when he tried to come so now he’s coming again this Thurs.

Moved my two queenless hives last night to where the rest of the hives are. I placed cedar limbs in front of the entrances to try and get them to reorient.

I got to the apiary this morning and there were hundreds of foragers swarming around the old hive location that obviously didnt get the memo. I grabbed a 5 frame nuc, inserted some drawn comb, and sat it in the location of the old hives. Suddenly, I have a resource hive.

The main two hives are still full of bees and honey bound, so I robbed 3 frames of honey from each hive, and inserted 3 frames of drawn comb and introduced some bought queens. The honey frames went to good use, and I added them to some of the smaller swarm hives.

Also had two interesting stings today. I felt one crawling up my pant leg. I let her get to my kneecap before I said enough was enough and smashed her.

An hour or so later, I was in the general vicinity of the apiary, and got dive bombed by a few that still hadn't gotten over the earlier activities. She finally got me in the ear. So, I got got in the kneecap and ear lobe in the same day, both firsts.

Back