• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Beekeeping Thread

This thread gives me great anxiety.

Signed,
Deathly allergic to bee stings guy
All stings or certain types? I've learned that some people are allergic to all types of stings, but since bee venom is a different compound, some people are not allergic to bees, but are allergic to wasps/yellow jackets.

All stings or certain types? I've learned that some people are allergic to all types of stings, but since bee venom is a different compound, some people are not allergic to bees, but are allergic to wasps/yellow jackets.
Bees, yellow jackets, wasps

Thankfully we are not allergic, but I did get my PCP to prescribe an Epi pen to keep near my hives in the event that someone else is around and gets stung, resulting in anaphylaxis.

Got another call about a swarm today. Seems like the unusually warm spring in NC has induced lots of swarming. How have things been in your area so far?

The NC honey flow is on with tulip poplar and blackberry with some white clover coming in. About another 4-6 weeks until we enter the dearth. I'll soon be planting a couple acres of buckwheat to sustain the girls through the summer.

Ugh, the latest swarm didn't work out. The owner definitely has a nice swarm, but its set up within the power cable reservoir of an RV. The only way to access the hive is to destroy part of the camper, which they are obviously not willing to do.

Ugh, the latest swarm didn't work out. The owner definitely has a nice swarm, but its set up within the power cable reservoir of an RV. The only way to access the hive is to destroy part of the camper, which they are obviously not willing to do.
Sometimes something like a leaf blower can blow them out. Or a shop vac can sometimes suck out enough (including queenie) to capture the swarm.

Added second deeps to my hives today, and plan to take the supers tomorrow. Looks like the mild spring helped with the NC flow. I'm anxious to see how my cut comb turned out.

The 2 acres of buckwheat is coming in full, so I'll throw the supers on again and see if I can get some buckwheat honey during the dearth.

Pulled the supers this morning. Already have 4x the honey as last year, and this was all with 10 frame undrawn comb. I left probably half that much for them to finish. Pleasantly happy with the results.

Pulled the supers this morning. Already have 4x the honey as last year, and this was all with 10 frame undrawn comb. I left probably half that much for them to finish. Pleasantly happy with the results.
Going to make your own mead soon?

I played around and made about 8 quarts of creamed honey today. It's different, but I like it.

The whipped honey in front of my newly drawn out frames. Looking forward to next year when i can put them in a 9 frame and build out the comb some more.
0f17cb1f0226196593e51606104a8dfc.jpg

Back