• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Beekeeping Thread

Made some sugar & pollen substitute bricks this past weekend to help get the girls through the remainder of the winter.

Prepping some swarm traps this coming weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to snag some free bees!
a85e4e7af079c6b7651873b96646ea29.jpg
What is your recipe for the stuff you use?

What is your recipe for the stuff you use?
I started out with 2 cups of water, then brought it to a boil. Slowly stirred in 10lbs of white sugar to a little at a time to prevent scorching. Once all 10 lbs are stirred in with no lumps, I added 1 cup of pollen substitute from my local bee store and make sure to mix it in well. Be mindful, its very powdery and messy if you aren't careful and mix slowly. Once fully mixed in, I emptied the pot into take out containers. The bee store uses 9x9 pans from the dollar store, but also has to spray them before adding the mix. I found that the plastic containers are flexible and allow to break away the brick without having to spray Pam on them beforehand. Just a personal preference though. I let them cool and dry, and after an hour or two, broke them out and sat them directly on top of the frames of my double deep hive. I cut down a 10 frame super to add space to fit the brick, then added my inner cover and top.

I've used sugar bricks in the past, but chose to add some pollen substitute to this batch. I'm hoping to make a couple splits this spring before the honey flow, and the pollen should help with the brooding up. At least that's my hope and theory :)

I started out with 2 cups of water, then brought it to a boil. Slowly stirred in 10lbs of white sugar to a little at a time to prevent scorching. Once all 10 lbs are stirred in with no lumps, I added 1 cup of pollen substitute from my local bee store and make sure to mix it in well. Be mindful, its very powdery and messy if you aren't careful and mix slowly. Once fully mixed in, I emptied the pot into take out containers. The bee store uses 9x9 pans from the dollar store, but also has to spray them before adding the mix. I found that the plastic containers are flexible and allow to break away the brick without having to spray Pam on them beforehand. Just a personal preference though. I let them cool and dry, and after an hour or two, broke them out and sat them directly on top of the frames of my double deep hive. I cut down a 10 frame super to add space to fit the brick, then added my inner cover and top.

I've used sugar bricks in the past, but chose to add some pollen substitute to this batch. I'm hoping to make a couple splits this spring before the honey flow, and the pollen should help with the brooding up. At least that's my hope and theory :)

Some would say boiling your sugar syrup is asking for nosema. YMMV

Made my first swarm trap today. We'll see how it goes. Used an extra 10 frame deep and some old comb. Maybe I'll get some free bees? I don't know anyone within a 3 mile radius of me that has bees, so maybe I'll catch swarms from my own aviary.

Checked on the girls today. They made use of the space I used to give them the brick between the inner cover and the telescoping lid. Went ahead and slapped some supers on for them to draw out since they're eager. This warm weather has really mixed up things this season.
c8b5063e37f905717067a125abd7e4d5.jpg
b7916efd984a5d8182869f6dc726624d.jpg
90b103b1b5337ae13f6c54b47c5139d5.jpg

Checked on the girls today. They made use of the space I used to give them the brick between the inner cover and the telescoping lid. Went ahead and slapped some supers on for them to draw out since they're eager. This warm weather has really mixed up things this season.
c8b5063e37f905717067a125abd7e4d5.jpg
b7916efd984a5d8182869f6dc726624d.jpg
90b103b1b5337ae13f6c54b47c5139d5.jpg
Gotta love it when bees just decide to use their own architecture to fill in any big space you leave them. 3/8 inch. Magic number.

While in Mexico last week, we toured a Melipona bee sanctuary. They're tiny, stingless bees that are integral to Mayan Culture. Bought some of it, along with some blue agave honey. All in all, a good bee trip.

Then, I came home and saw that a colony had swarmed into my first swarm trap! Pretty stoked for free bees, and upon inspection of my hives, it does not appear to be one of mine.

I’m thinking about buying a couple of hives. Can anyone recommend a good starter’s guide? What time of the year is best to start?

You'll need to place your order for a nuc over the winter, to be delivered in the spring. There are quite a few guys in the Triad who sell nucs and are inspected. I prefer them over packages.

John at Triad Bee Supply is great. If you're still in HP, look into the Guilford County Beekeepers Association and start attending meetings prior to ordering your first nucs. They'll discuss what is happening each month and will help give an understanding of what is required.

Additionally, shoot me a message if you ever want to come over and play with the bees. I try and inspect every Sunday afternoon during the warmer months. I've got an extra jacket and am happy to show you the ropes.

I wore a long sleeve white turtleneck shirt (not sweater). Pulled the neck up to my chin. That way I didn't have gap at the neck between shirt and veil. That wasn't as hot as some of the heavier bee suits.

Last edited:
I inherited a veil, but have always worn a jacket and sweated my ass off. I'm going to start using the veil this year, probably wearing a t-shirt, but am not brave enough to wear shorts.

How often do you get stung? l thought they were pretty docile.

They are pretty docile for the most part, but when you go messing with their hive they can get pissy, especially if its during a dearth or they're already stressed. The last handful of times I've been in the hives, I've been stung once on the hand.

Split my largest hive today, and glad I did. Multiple capped queen cups, so they were bound to swarm.

Also transferred my swarm catch to a 10F deep, and relocated. Huge kudos to @WFFaithful for allowing me to rehome my two hives for a week to his property. He's about 8 miles from me, so the perfect temporary relocation distance.

I'll move them back home next weekend, and hopefully prepare them for the flow that is just starting. Will go from 2 to 5 hives this year.

Back