• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

it's been quite a slog. I simultaneously am enjoying it and can't wait to be done.

That is exactly how I feel about it. The past 100 pages or so have been really good and sort of captivating, but I'll be excited to read something else. Been at this for a couple months now.

it's been quite a slog. I simultaneously am enjoying it and can't wait to be done.

That is exactly how I feel about it. The past 100 pages or so have been really good and sort of captivating, but I'll be excited to read something else. Been at this for a couple months now.

I felt the same way when I was finishing it a few years ago... then I actually finished it and immediately got the urge to re-read it right away.

Review of Irish Slim's new book, a novel named 'Youngblood,' from the New York Times on the 22nd. Looks like one for the must-read list. If you read his 'Kaboom,' you are aware of his talent.

http://nyti.ms/1RBxC3K

Infinite-Jest-Plot-Egg.jpeg

it all could have been said in 600 pages without end notes

It is pretty amazing how that whole theory of the ending kinda boils down to literally like 3 single sentences on pages 17, 32, and 960-something. Obviously, I did not pick up on that, though in my defense I suspect DFW did not intend for that plot to be what a reader is supposed to take from the book.

It's all a big fucking joke. It's a farce, like the line from Hamlet, the absurdist plot, and DFW's view of human life and our place in history. It's punctuated with moments of real profundity and beauty but ultimately a farce. A thousand pages of mental masturbation on behalf of the author and reader requiring a lot of patience and rigor and talent, but obscuring any real final truth.

I do still think it's my favorite book. I probably won't touch it for another decade and I wonder how different I'll feel about it then.

well said

I have like 50 pages left (I think -- reading on kindle).

How is it on a kindle? Are you able to flip back and forth from the footnotes? Does it have a link or anything to make them easier? I have always figured it would be impossible to read on a Kindle.

How is it on a kindle? Are you able to flip back and forth from the footnotes? Does it have a link or anything to make them easier? I have always figured it would be impossible to read on a Kindle.

On the kindle, you tap the footnote and it opens in a box at the bottom of the page. You "x" out of it when you're done. Pretty easy.

I've been using a kindle for a couple of years now. My sister bought me a paperback book, which I started to read last night and decided it was too much trouble. Can't read in bed in the dark without a flashlight or lamp disturbing Wife. Gotta keep a bookmark or some shit. NO THANKS. Only wish our library had more e-books available. Everything good has multiple holds.

Read Jude way back for a lit class. Hated it then. Read it again a few months ago. Hated it more.

Just finished "Notes From the Underground" after a few people on here mentioned it. While I can obviously see how someone could get depressed reading it, I actually laughed throughout the actual story portion of the book. Nobody writes a raving mad man better than Dostoevsky, probably because he himself was a brilliant, mad man. The character reminded me a lot of the guy in "Crime and Punishment." Stuck in one world, and that world is the confines of an insanely delusional, hyper-obsessive brain that feels society just doesn't understand their brilliance. I imagine that is how Dostoevsky spent most of his life, now that I've read the story behind how desperate he was at the time he finally found someone to publish Crime and Punishment. I just don't think you can write a character that detailed without a large part of that detail reflecting yourself.

Last edited:
Back