• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Stein-letter.jpg

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2013/06/27/a-rejection-is-a-rejection-is-a-rejection/

For those who have read The Wheel of Time, do you think it would be possible to listen to them on audiobook or read them on a kindle, and still be able to keep everything straight? I only ask because I read all of Game of Thrones except for the second one, which I listened to on a car trip. I didn't know the map at the time, and found it difficult to keep track of all the names of people and places, and where people were relative to those places. Same sort of problem with the Kindle. Mainly, I'm asking if you found yourself constantly flipping back and forth to remember who was where doing what, as that is not really an option for audio book listeners or kindle readers.

Also, how old were you when you read them? I am 29 and am wondering if it's worth the dive.

Last edited:
For those who have read The Wheel of Time, do you think it would be possible to listen to them on audiobook and still be able to keep everything straight? I only ask because I read all of Game of Thrones except for the second one, which I listened to on a car trip. I didn't know the map at the time, and found it difficult to keep track of all the names of people and places, and where people were relative to those places.

Also, how old were you when you read them? I am 29 and am wondering if it's worth the dive.

I think so. I started reading them a couple of years ago and finished right when the last one was coming out. I'm 36. I use Whispersync on Amazon and read on the kindle app. It's great because I listen on my commute and read at night and it syncs the audio with the text. I highly recommend it. Wheel of Time didn't seem to have anywhere near the locations and characters of GoT. That's my opinion though. Very good series. Sanderson ended it masterfully.

I think so. I started reading them a couple of years ago and finished right when the last one was coming out. I'm 36. I use Whispersync on Amazon and read on the kindle app. It's great because I listen on my commute and read at night and it syncs the audio with the text. I highly recommend it. Wheel of Time didn't seem to have anywhere near the locations and characters of GoT. That's my opinion though. Very good series. Sanderson ended it masterfully.

Good deal. Now I just need to figure out how to get around each audio book costing $30 - $40 on Audible.

Reading Brave New World for the second or third time. It's amazing how in-depth Huxley got with the science, eugenics, and sexuality for a book written in 1932.

Found my first 5-star book in a while, A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. Then powered through The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson and didn't really get it. Or maybe there wasn't much to get. Last week I read the first 30 pages of Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs and decided it wasn't my cup of tea. Finally got into The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell, and shit just took a sharp turn into WTF territory. I'm really digging it so far.

Has anyone here read "2666" by Roberto Bolano? I heard about it on the radio the other day and it sounded really interesting. I'm half way through the second Wheel of Time book, but I try to mix up light reading with classics if I can. It seems like a whale of a novel, so I'd like to hear some others' thoughts before I delve into it.

ReadingKeep It Fake: Inventing an Authentic Life by Professor Wilson. Enjoying it thus far, and I would recommend checking it out.

ReadingKeep It Fake: Inventing an Authentic Life by Professor Wilson. Enjoying it thus far, and I would recommend checking it out.

That guy was a good prof. I'll have to put this on the list.

Recently finished the Southern Reach Trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer. Got progressively better. Also currently being adapted by Alex Garland, writer/director of Ex Machina.

I'm reading Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Fariña, the saga of Gnossos Pappadopoulis. I had been thinking of it for a while, it's a favorite of both of my parents from back in the day I think, then saw it recently returned on a shelving cart the other day (also why I picked up Siddhartha the past couple of months -- it was alright) so grabbed it. It's fate. Gnossos is kind of wild, but he's looking for the TRUTH.

I'm reading Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Richard Fariña, the saga of Gnossos Pappadopoulis. I had been thinking of it for a while, it's a favorite of both of my parents from back in the day I think, then saw it recently returned on a shelving cart the other day (also why I picked up Siddhartha the past couple of months -- it was alright) so grabbed it. It's fate. Gnossos is kind of wild, but he's looking for the TRUTH.

Have you read Narcissus and Goldmund? It is a strong read that you may enjoy more than Siddhartha. It follows in the steps of Steppenwolf​. I will say that I am very partial to Hesse. He is one of my favorite authors.

Have you read Narcissus and Goldmund? It is a strong read that you may enjoy more than Siddhartha. It follows in the steps of Steppenwolf​. I will say that I am very partial to Hesse. He is one of my favorite authors.

That has been the only Hesse I have read. I want to get to both of those you mention, though happened upon a cheap copy of Narcissus in the second hand bookstore at the airport, so may get to that one first. I do work in a place with like 5 million volumes though, so I could probably pick up both.

That has been the only Hesse I have read. I want to get to both of those you mention, though happened upon a cheap copy of Narcissus in the second hand bookstore at the airport, so may get to that one first. I do work in a place with like 5 million volumes though, so I could probably pick up both.

You will be fine doing NG first as they are not connected narratively.

Just started Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson this morning. It comes highly recommended and the first few pages are promising. Never read him before.

Just started Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson this morning. It comes highly recommended and the first few pages are promising. Never read him before.

I feel like someone I know recommended Jesus's Son, maybe an ex or something, but that's the only one of his I've heard of.

I thought Jesus' Son was just ok, and the only other thing of his I've read is the novella Train Dreams ​which I also thought was just ok. My friend loves everything Denis Johnson writes, so different strokes I guess.

Back