• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Did anyone?

Hey, I didn't know there was going to be a message board where I could bury any social anxiety I may have had.

Looking back though, I laugh thinking about that being an opener for any conversation among 18 year old strangers: "So, that secret book club in Tehran was pretty risque, right?"

Last edited:
I arrived at Wake in 2005 as a total failure: I hadn't read Reading Lolita in Tehran and I never wrote my letter to the dean or whatever we were supposed to do. I was never going to make it at Wake.

Turns out my fifty pages of reading was more than everyone else in my group, including my advisor. Then I wrote that dean's letter like a month or two later about how I had failed to write the letter. Boss. Weren't we supposed to have that letter returned upon graduation? That never happened.

I still need to read American Pastoral, it's been sitting on my bookshelf for a year or so. About halfway through Lolita and...yeah, it's something.

The second half is completely different from the first. A good way to judge someone is to ask them which half they prefer.

I probably should've known this, but I always thought Lolita was written in Russian and translated to English (I guess just not knowing a ton about Nabakov's personal life) rather than the opposite.

Anybody read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco? I went to the local bookstore looking for Foucault's Pendulum but they didn't have it so I decided to stick with Eco and read his debut novel. A few chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

Anybody read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco? I went to the local bookstore looking for Foucault's Pendulum but they didn't have it so I decided to stick with Eco and read his debut novel. A few chapters in and I'm enjoying it.

Read it a bunch of times. One of my favorites. Sean Connery is so good.

Just picked up Hanah Yanagihara's: "A Little Life" from the 2015 Booker Prize short list. It jumped past the 2015 winner (A Brief History of Seven Killings) on my list after a friend recently recommended it.

I figure it's time to get back to some better stuff after spending the last month reading mostly time fillers like:

Don Winslow: The Winter of Frankie Machine
Stephen King: It
Tom Merritt: Pilot X

I really enjoyed "The Winter of Frankie Machine", and recommend it if you're a fan of Don Winslow, and are looking for a fast paced beach-type read. (I'd still put it behind "Power of the Dog" and "The Cartel" though)

"It" was good not great. I didn't see a whole lot of reason for it being 1100 pages, and thought at the end that there was no excuse for it not being able to really hammer home some key themes it touched on. But like most King novels, it was a page turner the entire time.

"Pilot X" had potential, but Merritt is more of a tech nerd, less of a writer. His lack of polish really showed, but I guess some could see it as his "style".

Last edited:
I arrived at Wake in 2005 as a total failure: I hadn't read Reading Lolita in Tehran and I never wrote my letter to the dean or whatever we were supposed to do. I was never going to make it at Wake.

Turns out my fifty pages of reading was more than everyone else in my group, including my advisor. Then I wrote that dean's letter like a month or two later about how I had failed to write the letter. Boss. Weren't we supposed to have that letter returned upon graduation? That never happened.

Your degree is being revoked. The Goon Squad will be coming to collect your diploma.

Started a book about WWI last night after finishing The Nine (Toobin). Finally turning into a boring nonfiction guy.

We barely learned shit about WWI or Korea or Vietnam in school, I feel like. Everything was Civil War or WWII. Maybe had I taken more history classes it would have felt different.

The more I read about political history, the more I arrive at the conclusion that WWI is possibly the most significant event in modern history (whatever that may mean).

I love Ishiguro, and I'm not all that familiar with the Nobel requirements, but I'm a little surprised that 3 Man Booker nominees and 1 winner over 30 years equals a Nobel prize.

Back