• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I liked it, but probably my fourth favorite of hers. The dance stuff was cool, the celebrity stuff less so.

I dug the swinging narrative style.

Just finished reading A Little Life. It's pretty devastating, but beautifully written. I will be reading more of Hanya Yanagihara's work.

Last edited:
Finished Graveyard Clay, about 40s Irish corpses arguing/gossiping about their past and the present above ground. Just dialogue.

Finished Graveyard Clay, about 40s Irish corpses arguing/gossiping about their past and the present above ground. Just dialogue.

That actually sounds really good. I'm going to add it to my list.

I finished Dan Brown's new book: Origin.

If you like Dan Brown, you'll like this. It's good, not great. Somewhere along the line I feel like Brown started skimping on the interesting factoids in exchange for simply describing art/architecture. While that's all well and good, and certainly necessary when you're writing about a place like the Guggenheim, it's really hard (for me at least) to read about art without seeing it. My favorite parts of his books have been when you feel like you're getting a mini biography on Da Vinci, or a brief history of a building in ancient Greece, things like that. I really like the idea behind this plot, as I have most of his books except for The Lost Symbol, and he ties it together better than some of his other works *cough* Deception Point *cough* *cough*. If I'm ranking Dan Brown books I guess I'd go:

Angels and Demons
Digital Fortress
Inferno
Origin
The Da Vinci Code
Deception Point
The Lost Symbol

2 - 5 are tough though.

Last edited:
Thoughts about the book or the translations?

It was an interesting read about the apprehension around translating it, but I was looking for your thoughts around the content of the book itself. Worth a read? Pacing work as it being all dialogue?

It was an interesting read about the apprehension around translating it, but I was looking for your thoughts around the content of the book itself. Worth a read? Pacing work as it being all dialogue?

The content is solid. The dialogue is a little repetitive in some spots, but that's probably a critique of the characters (buried corpses) more than the author. I didn't find it super tough to figure out which character is speaking.

It's definitely an idiosyncratic read.

The content is solid. The dialogue is a little repetitive in some spots, but that's probably a critique of the characters (buried corpses) more than the author. I didn't find it super tough to figure out which character is speaking.

It's definitely an idiosyncratic read.

werd

Middlesex been making me squirm a bit

gotta admit I'm kinda #nervous about some of the genitalia talk

Reading Jesus’ Son by Denis Johnson. “Emergency” is an all-time great short story.

Just finished Inherent Vice, which I dug a lot -- was really funny and trippy, the only Pynchon I've ever read. On tap I have Under the Volcano, Moby Dick (never read), Alma Cogan by Gordon Burn, Didion's The White Album, The Lowlife by Alexander Baron, and Return to the Dark Valley by Santiago Gamboa.

I think once I get through this backlog I'm going to concentrate on works by women, people of color, and translated works. Maybe it'll be like a resolution, except I don't expect to get through all of these any time soon.

Just finished Inherent Vice, which I dug a lot -- was really funny and trippy, the only Pynchon I've ever read. On tap I have Under the Volcano, Moby Dick (never read), Alma Cogan by Gordon Burn, Didion's The White Album, The Lowlife by Alexander Baron, and Return to the Dark Valley by Santiago Gamboa.

I think once I get through this backlog I'm going to concentrate on works by women, people of color, and translated works. Maybe it'll be like a resolution, except I don't expect to get through all of these any time soon.

El Chupe, read Annihilation before the film comes out. It'll take you two or three sittings and you'll dig it. It'll creep you out.

I already did! In fact, I think I read it based on your post in this thread about it.

Also, if you want to check out some short stories that fit some of your categories, read Viet Thanh Nguyen's collection The Refugees. Haven't read his Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, but I hear it is a bunch of gratuitous torture.

I already did! In fact, I think I read it based on your post in this thread about it.

Oh nice! What'd you think? I haven't actually read the other two in the series because I've heard there's a big shift in tone and perspective, but I probably will.

I don't listen to podcasts really, but I follow a couple of dudes on the twitter who do a podcast called Backlisted, and they always have good book recs (especially women authors), and they like cool music, too.

https://unbound.com/backlisted

I did not get the Malcolm Lowry idea from them, I have had that in my book queue for like ten years, but there is a pretty cool doc about Lowry, as well, that I want to re-watch.

Whoa, how did those two posts become one? That is some spice girls shit right there.

Back