• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

Unfortunately none of the other Stephen Graham Jones books live up. He loves an unreliable narrator, but nothing quite captures the magic and disorientation of The Only Good Indians. Still chasing the high of that one.

Unfortunately none of the other Stephen Graham Jones books live up. He loves an unreliable narrator, but nothing quite captures the magic and disorientation of The Only Good Indians. Still chasing the high of that one.
I love Native American lit, and was thinking back to the common theme of cultural love of basketball when we were getting absolutely curb stomped by Cherokee over the weekend.

My dad got me “The Mosquito Bowl” by Buzz Bissinger (Friday Night Lights author) for Christmas and I’m about halfway through. It follows members of the 4th and 29th Marine regiments during WWII which included dozens of college football players including a number of All Americans and pro draft picks. Interesting blend of sports and history. Definitely enjoying it.

One minor fact that I enjoyed, one of the individuals mentioned was John Perry of Wake Forest University. He’s described as an All-Southern Conference tailback and one of the most promising sophomores in the country. It also said “later of Duke University” — early transfer portal entrant? :)
Just finished this. I had put it on hold on Libby based on this post and it just became available now (my library only had one copy).

Between then and now, I totally forgot you mentioned the little Wake connection. I highlighted it on my Kindle and was all excited to post about it.

I go back and forth on WWII (and war in general) books, but I really enjoyed this one.

Reactions: WRS
"All the Light We Cannot See" - Anthony Doerr
I know a bunch of you have read this...I liked it, but not as much as "Cloud Cuckoo Land"

All I see are good reviews of Cloud Cuckoo Land but it just didn’t do anything for me. I think I’m the only one. Oh well.

Recently read the My Brilliant Friend series and loved it. Decided to follow it up with a couple more Italian authors. Italo Calvino was first. Enjoyed Invisible Cities. Didn’t care as much for The Baron in the Trees or If on a Winters Night a Traveler. Next up is Umberto Eco.

All I see are good reviews of Cloud Cuckoo Land but it just didn’t do anything for me. I think I’m the only one. Oh well.

Recently read the My Brilliant Friend series and loved it. Decided to follow it up with a couple more Italian authors. Italo Calvino was first. Enjoyed Invisible Cities. Didn’t care as much for The Baron in the Trees or If on a Winters Night a Traveler. Next up is Umberto Eco.
fuck yeah

what are you reading

I love the Ferrnate series too

Just finished this. I had put it on hold on Libby based on this post and it just became available now (my library only had one copy).

Between then and now, I totally forgot you mentioned the little Wake connection. I highlighted it on my Kindle and was all excited to post about it.

I go back and forth on WWII (and war in general) books, but I really enjoyed this one.
Awesome, glad you liked it! Interesting read, very well researched with the detail.

Name of the Rose is soooooooo fucking good but it defs not for everyone

Just started A Canticle for Leibowitz over the weekend. I'm enjoying it so far. Anyone else read it? I'd never heard of it until a friend recommended it.
Starting it now

Currently reading The Five Warrior Angels which is some kind of grim dark fantasy series. It’s basically what you’d expect it to be. Enjoying it 10/10, no notes.

Been on a heavy Western kick lately. The Son was pretty exceptional but Warlock may be the best Western novel I’ve ever read.

Demon Copperhead, the new Barbara Kingsolver, is a real return to form. It takes its title and themes from David Copperfield, but set in her native Appalachia. It’s a really profoundly disturbing look at opioids, rural and generational poverty, and in my view a poignant and deeply empathetic look at the American rural/urban divide. Though it’s a massive gut punch I think it’s the best book I’ve read in years.
Thanks for this rec.

I’m a little over halfway through and it has been fantastic, and hard, and hilarious, and sober. Hooked me from the get go because it’s set about 30 miles from where I grew up (and where I haven’t been for almost 20 years), so it hits the “I know that place” nostalgia feels. It also actually loves Appalachia, and puts its trials and difficulties in context, rather making it a disease to rise above (cough Mr. Vance cough).

Thanks for this rec.

I’m a little over halfway through and it has been fantastic, and hard, and hilarious, and sober. Hooked me from the get go because it’s set about 30 miles from where I grew up (and where I haven’t been for almost 20 years), so it hits the “I know that place” nostalgia feels. It also actually loves Appalachia, and puts its trials and difficulties in context, rather making it a disease to rise above (cough Mr. Vance cough).
Yes. It is the best book that I have read in a long time. Several of my family members read it at the same time I did and we still talk about it.

Reading Bubblegum, and it is great. Adam Levin seems to be in my sweet spot, but some one I had not read until this tome.

Up next is America and the Cult of the Cactus Boots: A Diagnostic. This one popped up randomly on my radar, and I have to say I very excited. I did a test run on the author through this podcast:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/licensed-to-talk/id1412451045?i=1000555532249

I dug his cadence, so I pulled the trigger since it was non-existent in my library cache.

Last edited:
please share your non-Murakami Japanese literature recommendations
It's a memoir, but Samurai! by Saburo Sakai is really good.

I really enjoyed Memory Police by Yoko Ogawa if you like dystopian fiction.

Shiver by Junji Ito is excellent if you're open to horror manga.

Obligatory Ishiguro, even though he's been a British citizen for 40 years and writes in English. The Remains of the Day is one of my favorite novels and I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go.

Back