• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

I enjoy discussing Ishiguro more than actually reading him, if that makes sense. I think his novels are set in interesting worlds and provide a jumping off point to discuss larger things, but the characters/plot, etc. don’t grip me very much.

I enjoy discussing Ishiguro more than actually reading him, if that makes sense. I think his novels are set in interesting worlds and provide a jumping off point to discuss larger things, but the characters/plot, etc. don’t grip me very much.
I can get behind this. He's one of those authors who's never blown me away with a story itself, but is such a quality writer that it really hammers home what a pro is capable of. My appreciation of his writing is because of what he can accomplish on a technical level.

I dig the two Ishiguro books I read, which are the two Frosty called out

I don’t think I saw the Never Let Me Go movie but I don’t remember

Klara and the Sun is basically just Corduroy tho

I know this isn’t the move thread but they’re too busy talking about children’s movies — same question applies: hit me with your favorite Japanese film

going to Japan in a month, always like to read/watch some cultural highlights in advance of a big trip

And I watched The Dead Sleep Well, which I didn’t dig quite as much, but still solid.

I think Stray Dog was my fave Kurosawa.

But I still have a million more to get through.

But good reminder I still need to see Tampopo (not Kurosawa), which every one raves about.

I just finished White Boy Shuffle by Paul Beatty, his first novel and the fourth of four of his that I've read

not a lot of stylistic or thematic diversity across his books, but he's funny as hell and all his books are a good time -- Slumberland is my favorite

Wrapping up a book called "We Had a Little Real Estate Problem: The Unheralded Story of Native Americans & Comedy"

Really fascinating book. I think anyone that likes comedy / pop-culture would enjoy the stories and history of Native Americans in media / comedy.

Up next is "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" which I know several of you have read already. Can't wait to jump into that one!

I know this isn’t the move thread but they’re too busy talking about children’s movies — same question applies: hit me with your favorite Japanese film

going to Japan in a month, always like to read/watch some cultural highlights in advance of a big trip
Ikiru is my favorite Kurosawa film and Ran is probably second. Another Japanese fave is A Story from Chikamatsu which isn't a Kurosawa film.

Hiroshima mon Amour isn't technically Japanese, it's French, but it's set in Japan and does a good job showing post WWII Japan.

Wrapping up a book called "We Had a Little Real Estate Problem: The Unheralded Story of Native Americans & Comedy"

Really fascinating book. I think anyone that likes comedy / pop-culture would enjoy the stories and history of Native Americans in media / comedy.

Up next is "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" which I know several of you have read already. Can't wait to jump into that one!
Just finished the latter and really enjoyed it.

Currently reading Evicted, and about to start The Only Good Indians.

Just finished the latter and really enjoyed it.

Currently reading Evicted, and about to start The Only Good Indians.
Loved The Only Good Indians. Reading My Heart is a Chainsaw right now and am really digging it. You ever read any Erdrich?

Loved The Only Good Indians. Reading My Heart is a Chainsaw right now and am really digging it. You ever read any Erdrich?
I’m looking forward to it. I’m not usually a horror fan, but really seemed interesting.

I own the Round House and it’s high on my pile, but haven’t gotten to it yet.

Have read Tommy Orange, Cherie Dimaline, and Angeline Boulley in the past yearish.

The Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo was pretty damn good. It's a contemporary fantasy book that takes place on Yale's campus. Very interesting, fun read.

Back