• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Book/Discussion Thread

My top ten (so far) fiction books of the year (non-fiction later). I started the year unemployed, so my reading was way up (not Townie levels, but should hit right at around 100 books this year. I also read a lot less deep/philosophical fiction than Townie.

10. The Patron Saints of Nothing - Ronni Ribay
YA book, but a great look at identity, belonging and family. Protagonist is a young Filipino-American man. It was a quick, easy read but the characters were well developed and focuses on the nature of hope in the midst of so much that is going wrong while still acknowledging the complexity of people.

9. What Moves the Dead - T. Kingfisher (NC author)
A retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. The writing was immersive, with the setting being the main character of the story. She writes such a sense of dread and despair into the narrative. An interesting twist on the story that lead me to Mexican Gothic as well.

8. How High We Go in the Dark - Sequoia Nagamatsu
stories and reflections of a many connected (some loosely, so closely) connected characters about how humanity has responded to a deadly virus, that at first affects only children, over the course of centuries. IT was a really interesting look at grief and connection, how capitalism affects our humanity, and what happens to humanity during crisis.

7. Before the Ever After - Jacqueline Woodson
A story in verse told from the perspective of a young man whose father was a famous football player, who is now suffering the effects of CTE. Might have been a "point in time" impact, but just a gut-wrenching read as a dad - I listened the audio book of this one driving down to GA to visit my mom whose capacity has been quickly declining due to Alzheimer's and found myself streaming tears driving down the highway.

6. The Great Believers - Rebecca Makkai
Telling the interconnected stories of the (and deaths and loss) of a group of friends in Chicago's Boystown in the 80s amid the AIDS crisis and then 30 years later as a women (and who found herself caretaker of the group wrestling with survivors guilt) tries to reconcile with an estranged daughter and ghosts of the past. It was an incredible, and the writing made it personal, look at how the disease affected the lives and relationships of the gay community.

5. The Final Revival of Opal and Nev
This book demonstrates how history and culture are best understood through art (and in this case, both the art of the novel itself, and the art of its subject). Opal and Nev uses the story of one art duo to tell a larger story of the creative process, racism, and misogynoir, and does so very compellingly. The device of presenting the book as an oral history recorded by an editor that is personally involved carried the emotion of the book (and admittingly, had me googling to see if Opal and Nev had been actual artists and not fictional).

4. The World We Make - NK Jemisin
Jemisin is one of my favorite authors. She has an incredible ability to build worlds and then add further depth and meaning in subsequent novels. This was no different. Building on “The City We Became,” this novel not only stands on its own as the continuation of the story, but also injected further meaning into the first novel. It tells the stories of cities that manifest themselves in a human avatar and fight for their existence and uniqueness. Lots of depth and comments on gentrification, immigration - and contains the story of a xenophobic populist rising to power before the ascension of Trump.

3. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow - Gabrielle Zevin
Two friends who love and hate each other come together as creative partners in the world of video game design, where success brings them fame, joy, tragedy, duplicity, and, ultimately, a kind of immortality (Good Reads description). Loved the look at relationships beyond a simple "will they/won't they" look at childhood friendships. Also dug the video game nostalgia that is the glue that holds them together.

2. My Heart is a Chainsaw/Don't Fear the Reaper - Stephan Graham Jones
Not a huge horror person, but loved these books, especially the first - part slasher story, part meta-study of the genre itself - really dug the characters and gained a lot of appreciation for the slasher genre of movies. I loved the cleverness of these books, it they are ultimately inconsequential

1. Demon Copperhead - Barbara Kingsolver
This has easily ascended to one of my favorite books ever. Kingsolver tells the tale of wrecked lives and the trajectory of small decisions and larger forces that contribute.
Demon Copperhead reimagines Dickens' David Copperfield set in SW Virginia amid the opioid crisis. Told with such care that I was drawn in to caring about each character and their wrecked lives. The story is told with great humanity and care for the region, detailing its rich history and exploring why it is often left behind and susceptible to opioids. While at times glossing over some of the troublesome parts of the region, it's written with the love of a native of Southern Appalachia (of which I am also) and many parts felt like home - both the setting and the people - I knew most of the characters in the story. It opens up a great window into the region, why it is the way it is, and what drives those that live there.

i got heat for this take earlier but i ended up really disliking the poisonwood bible when i read it over the summer and i'm in no rush to read kingsolver again

Poisonwood Bible is really good overall, especially the back half of the book and the ending, but definitely uneven in places. I like Kingsolver a lot but have never thought she was consistently great.

Oh man I treasure Poisonwood Bible.

Glad to see Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow on your list IAT, think it might have been my fav last year.

And I wasn’t as big on My Heart is a Chainsaw, but The Only Good Indians was so great imo. A talented writer, and very good at making you question what’s going on in the book.

And I wasn’t as big on My Heart is a Chainsaw, but The Only Good Indians was so great imo. A talented writer, and very good at making you question what’s going on in the book.
I read both of these this year- had a run of indigenous authors that also included Eldrich’s Future Home of the Living God and Waubgeshig Rice’s Moon of the Crusted Snow (liked all of them).

I connected more with my Heart is a chainsaw, but it was more traditional horror than The Only Good Indians. But He can write a scene that engrossed you really well.

View attachment 7188

this plot does not exactly sound interesting to me
The book is actually a great illustration of how evangelicals badly distort the teachings of Christianity to serve their own selfish ends, in this case with tragic consequences. One of the most memorable lines from the book for me was, "There are Christians, and then there are Christians."

Non Fiction top 10

10. Everything Sad is Untrue - Daniel Nayeri
Not sure that this is should be here. It's listed as a novel, but it's autobiographical and aside from a little embellishment, is more memoir than novel. Really enjoyed this. I like the focus on story as a way of holding on to and conveying history (both personal and cultural) and that fact=/= truth. I also love (maybe not the right word because it’s hard) hearing the refugee story as experienced by a child and in a way that a child would convey it. It think it strips it down to a more honest look at what is lost and the balance of good, bad, hope, fear, joy, sadness, etc. I've also read his sister's book The Ungrateful Refugee which is one of the best nonfiction books on the refugee experience (and infinitely more cynical than this telling).

9. Evicted - Mathew Desmond
I read both this and Poverty, by America this year an while the subject matter and urgency in "Poverty" was more compelling, this was the better read. This was a more personal story of the harsh housing policies an practices of the country, told through experience, rather than treatise on what should be.

8. The Invisible Kingdom - - Meghan O'Rourke
I study through the lens of memoir about chronic illness. My wife and son have both struggled with long covid for the last year and this book was essential in helping me understand the world of chronic illness - especially illness that can't always be seen and doesn't fit neatly into the lens of "if we can diagnose it, we can fix it." I leaned a lot about our medical system and integrated health, and helped me be more compassionate with others.

7. I'm Glad My Mom Died - Jeannette McCurdy
This one snuck up on me. Did not expect to enjoy a memoir about a Disney child actor and her overbearing mom, but it landed. She's dry and cynical, which helped move the story along.

6. We Do This Till We Free Us - Mariame Kaba
essays and portions of speeches from one of the nation's leading prison abolitionists. It was really helpful to more me from a "That would be nice, but how?" stance on abolition to being able to envision a world without prisons and a pathway to get there. It doesn't give a lot of finite answers, but it's an essential invitation to the conversation to collectively create what is possible.

5. The Awkward Thoughts of W. Kamau Bell: Tales of a 6' 4", African American, Heterosexual, Cisgender, Left-Leaning, Asthmatic, Black and Proud Blerd, Mama's Boy, Dad, and Stand-Up Comedian - W. Kamua Bell
Social commentary through the lens of an intelligent comedian. I really enjoyed this, especially how he wove personal experience throughout the telling and how his life has touched on different issues. Nothing groundbreaking, or necessarily deep, but a fun read.

4. Go Back to Where You Cam From: And Other Helpful Recommendations on How to Become American - Wajahat Ali
Similar to the above, a good look at immigration and the struggles of identity, integration v. assimilation, and being an immigrant in America. Told with wit and charm through the lens of personal experience.

3. Heartland - Sarah Smarsh
Everything that Hillbilly Elegy wasn’t, Smarsh writes with both realism and affection for the community in which she grew up. Holding the tension of racial privilege with struggles of class and gender, this memoir does an amazing job of showing the life of the white working poor in America. The memoir identifies the various systems that both let the poor down and actively create barriers to their success. I also liked this more than Educated which sought to make a spectacle of the author's upbringing - this one preserved the humanity of the people, vilifying systems instead.

2. Solito - Javier Zamora
Riveting and insightful memoir of an unaccompanied minor from El Salvador and his journey to reunite with his parents in La Usa, humanizing the journey many migrants have to make to find safety and stability.

1. Creative Quest - Questlove
This was an amazing look into both Questlove’s creative process and THE creative process. Questlove describes the creative process (and how he engages with it) in a way that both leaves me in awe of his creativity AND makes creative endeavors accessible to me - especially ways to foster my own creative energies and skills in whatever domain I may need them. At it’s core, this is not a how to book, nor a memoir, but has elements of both to present tools, paradigms, and insights into the purpose of creativity and how to engage in the creative process, from wherever you are, and whatever your focus might be. I listened to the author-read audiobook and benefitted from hearing from Questlove himself. But, because I was either driving or walking when I listened, I found myself often wanting to write down a principle or exercise to come back to later or to keep as a reference. So much, that I ended up purchasing a paper copy of the book to be able to return to it whenever I need to.

I listened to my second book of the year. The Wager: a tale of shipwreck, mutiny and murder by David Grann. He also wrote killers of the flower moon.

If you liked master and commander you’ll like this. I like sailing adventures at the edge of the world stuff, so this was right up my alley.

Thought The Wager was really good but not outstanding. Great story of human resilience under the most absurd conditions though.

I listened to my second book of the year. The Wager: a tale of shipwreck, mutiny and murder by David Grann. He also wrote killers of the flower moon.

If you liked master and commander you’ll like this. I like sailing adventures at the edge of the world stuff, so this was right up my alley.
I got The Wager from my mom for Christmas. Gonna dive into that after I finish my current sci-fi series

Back