• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

But does that contraption keep it fresher than sealed in your fridge with a lid?

It keeps it fresh once opened, so, yes. Once a growler is opened it must be consumed during that day. This will allow me to have multiple growlers "opened" which mean I can consume different growlers (different beers) all at the same time across multiple days. It is essentially a multiple-keg-kegerator on a small scale. Considering the limited degree of consumption, on my end, I believe this serves a great function in my experience of craft brew imbibing.

It keeps it fresh once opened, so, yes. Once a growler is opened it must be consumed during that day. This will allow me to have multiple growlers "opened" which mean I can consume different growlers (different beers) all at the same time across multiple days. It is essentially a multiple-keg-kegerator on a small scale. Considering the limited degree of consumption, on my end, I believe this serves a great function in my experience of craft brew imbibing.

Didn't realize it keeps them fresher than the fridge. I'm now on board with this.

I assume it pressurizes with CO2 (and also blocks oxygen exposure). Which seems like a hassle for 64oz.

I assume it pressurizes with CO2 (and also blocks oxygen exposure). Which seems like a hassle for 64oz.

It does - I looked at the webiste, they're not for sale yet (kickstarter). Maybe a hassle for 1 64oz growler but when you can do 3 at a time it's a pretty cool concept. Hopefully they get it going soon. If I ever get a bigger house with the space for it I would get one.

Wise Man opened in W-S on Saturday to a packed house.

They're pouring 4 of their own right now. I really enjoyed the IPA...also tried the triple, which was fine. They also have several NC beers on tap. No food except chips, pretzels, etc.

Great warehouse vibe.

They're pouring 4 of their own right now. I really enjoyed the IPA...also tried the triple, which was fine. They also have several NC beers on tap. No food except chips, pretzels, etc.

Great warehouse vibe.

heard the first day went great. hoping to get out there this week or next weekend

We were going to go Saturday but it was slam packed. Hoping they still have some of their own later in the week.

Great warehouse vibe.

FWIW - I haven't been but did hear from someone I know who has good taste in beer and he wasn't a big fan. Said was a really cool spot but the beer was just alright. Always hard to get it right the first time when scaling up to a much bigger scale than homebrewing (I think that's the group's background) so hopefully gets better with time.

Foothills has done a good job with their hop of the month beers (Craft Happiness IPA Project). I'm often pleasantly surprised at their quality and almost always [re]order them over their regular offerings. I would recommend the current selection, Domicile.

Domicile-thumbnail-e1484768779666.jpg

Foothills has done a good job with their hop of the month beers (Craft Happiness IPA Project). I'm often pleasantly surprised at their quality and almost always [re]order them over their regular offerings. I would recommend the current selection, Domicile.

Domicile-thumbnail-e1484768779666.jpg

Sexual Chocolate is out. Everything else is secondary. :)

I think Nugget Nectar is just hitting Charlotte today. I love that stuff.

Had a Hopslam and Birdsong Honey Pie DIPA during the 2nd half of our game last night. Made it a lot more enjoyable. Felt like I should have savored the Hopslam more at $7/a 12 oz. can.

Checked out Wise Man last night, and really enjoyed it. Had the Creamsicle Collaboration Ale (with Joymongers) and the Satisfy My Soul stout. Both solid. Also tasted my friend's Mountain Calling IPA, and Scoop Dogg: Space Odyssey, which were also tasty. I was impressed with the space and happy with the beer. They had both the Wake and Carolina games on, some giant Jenga going, and a decent little crowd for a Tuesday night.

I thought you could get to it from MLK so had to loop around a little to get back to 9th Street (or their address on Angelo Bros Ave), but that's my fault for not checking out the location a little better. Shares parking with the (RIP) Ziggy's building.

I think Nugget Nectar is just hitting Charlotte today. I love that stuff.

Had a Hopslam and Birdsong Honey Pie DIPA during the 2nd half of our game last night. Made it a lot more enjoyable. Felt like I should have savored the Hopslam more at $7/a 12 oz. can.

Hopslam is good but a little overrated IMO. I'm sure to track it down once a year to have it on draft but I'm not going out to buy up 4/6 packs

Had Lagunitas High-Westified Imperial Coffee Stout - damn that was good. Coffee stout aged in High-West bourbon barrels. It's their version of Bourbon County and it was delicious.

I second the foothills hop of the month recommendation - always solid.

The high Westified was great. Have a few more in my fridge. Stella brew has had some good offerings lately including two claw from Westbrook. They still have some skillet from burial left and I heard they are getting more burial surf wax this week. No doubt that burial is the hottest North Carolina brewery at the moment.

The high Westified was great. Have a few more in my fridge. Stella brew has had some good offerings lately including two claw from Westbrook. They still have some skillet from burial left and I heard they are getting more burial surf wax this week. No doubt that burial is the hottest North Carolina brewery at the moment.

Absolutely - they're blowing up all over and hopefully that doesn't hurt the distribution here in NC (or the overall quality as they ramp up production). NoDa was great when they were small and it was hard to come by and now I've had a few too many bad batches that I don't seek them out anymore.

I was up in Wisconsin and tracked down some Toppling Goliath which makes some great beer (lots in the top 100 on beer advocate). Would be interested to hear from any mid-westerners what their thoughts are on TG. I found a bottle of Pompeii which is one of the best IPA's I've ever had. I like it more than their Psuedosue which is still an amazing beer. Also tracked down a double dry hopped citra version of Pseudosue which was legit.

For some reason, Burial just popped up on the shelves of my beer store up here. I had to do a double-take to make sure it was the same brewery you guys were referencing. Weird coincidence, especially in light of NjDeac's comment re: distribution.

Grabbed a sixer of the Hawk Bill IPA but they had several other offerings (Surf Wax IPA, some Donut Stout beer, Ceremonial Session, Billows hoppy Kolsch, and maybe some other one I'm forgetting). Any of those a must-have...?

Burial Skillet Donut Stout is an amazing beer and one of my all-time favs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason, Burial just popped up on the shelves of my beer store up here. I had to do a double-take to make sure it was the same brewery you guys were referencing. Weird coincidence, especially in light of NjDeac's comment re: distribution.

Grabbed a sixer of the Hawk Bill IPA but they had several other offerings (Surf Wax IPA, some Donut Stout beer, Ceremonial Session, Billows hoppy Kolsch, and maybe some other one I'm forgetting). Any of those a must-have...?

Surf Wax and Skillet are really, really good and are must try. Ceremonial is normally really good. Each batch is different and I think the current one is hopped with Vic's Secret. Burial did a collab with Other Half out of Brooklyn called I Left My Wallet in a Bed Stuy Juice Bar. It's a double IPA and it is outstanding. Probably gonna be tough to find now but is must buy if you see it.

Awesome, thanks for the replies. The Hawk Bill was damn good so I will go back for the others. Hopefully, my beer guy can get his hands on that Other Half collab as well...

Back