• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Beer Thread

so I assume they will make a handful of WW beers at AB's breweries around the country so you can get your Napoleon Complex or Lunatic Blonde in, say, Nebraska.

hopefully the money allows them to continue doing what they do here in Asheville. They have a production brewery in Candler for the stuff sold in stores, and they just opened a new barrel room in Arden to expand their Funkatorium beers.

It will be very interesting to see how InBev handles the bomber series. Are people in Washington State gonna get Milk and Cookies stout now?

I don't really care who owns the beers I drink, as long as they are still tasty. :noidea:

I don't blame WW at all, I'd take the cash. As a beer drinker who loves WW, it's very sad.

Just had The Dude Imbibes for the first time from Triple C last night. Went for the bourbon barrel aged version, although they also had a rum barrel aged, which was quite tasty as well.

Was too weirded out to try the sour aged version. Milk stout + sour sounds bad, but it got rave reviews. At 9.5% and smooth, they could all 3 get you into trouble quickly.

Examples? I know two new millionaires who are counting against that. If nothing else these macros can brew an incredibly consistent beer

I feel like Ballast Point hasn't changed post-Constellation.

Seems premature to kick them out before the deal closes. The interesting point raised by some other brewer is how AB fights against favorable craft beer laws in other states. Seeing that in NC with the distributor limits bill that is being fought. seems like that would be a sticking point for someone like WW

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

understood and I fully appreciate that the owners should take the $$$, generally speaking. However, if AB is then going to continue to fight against the fellow craft brewers that you have essentially been in brotherhood with for many years, then your principles can be easily purchased.

DeacHawk, while you're in the area for your racemail in Harve de Grace, take a 20 min drive to one of the best beer shops in the region (world?)...worth a stop for anyone on that stretch of 95 between Philly and Baltimore, its right on the MD/DE line

http://www.statelineliquors.com

I go by Stateline on the reg and stop frequently. if anybody in the DC area sees something on their website that gets you curious, PM me and i'll see what I can do for transporting it down to DC.

They also have a big selection of wines, sometimes some pretty good ones for cheap.

tropicalia.jpg

this beer is so good

AB-InBev Just "Commandeered" the Entire South African Hops Market

For anyone wondering how AB InBev acquiring craft breweries effects the brewers, suppliers, growers and consumers of the market, here’s an example of the things that many craft brewers are scared of…

To set the stage, we purchased a few hundred lbs of South African hops from a small hop distributor that was dealing with some of the small SA farms/growers. The farms were under the umbrella of SAB which was recently acquired in the merger of AB/Miller Coors a little while ago. We were super excited to work with these hops as they were from a new growing region with new varietals and hence had new unique flavor profiles, also, the business we purchased them from was a small boutique hop shop that will be losing a huge chunk of what they work with to maintain their business. Anyway. Here’s what we received via email today:

Along with the news late last week of ABI buying Wicked Weed, I was informed by SAB Hop Farms (part of ABI’s purchase of SAB-Miller) that ABI are commandeering all the hops that were to be allocated for distribution to North American craft brewers. The goal is to sell the hops internally to their acquired (former) craft breweries, even though they have not been able to sell all the hops as of yet. Regardless, they refuse to let US craft brewers buy any CY 2017 hops believing this will afford them a competitive advantage in an increasingly competitive marketplace.

This is surely a sad turn of events. It sucks for the brewers, but has an even more tremendously shitty impact of the great guys that built a company around selling these hops to craft brewers.

Last edited:
Doing a little brewery hopping in Asheville tomorrow with my parents, wife, and two-year-old in tow. Any recommendations on must hit breweries, keeping in mind that there's a little one with? Probably will only have time to hit two, three max.

Doing a little brewery hopping in Asheville tomorrow with my parents, wife, and two-year-old in tow. Any recommendations on must hit breweries, keeping in mind that there's a little one with? Probably will only have time to hit two, three max.

With a kid, I'd recommend Sierra Nevada and New Belgium for sure. Sierra is massive outside and in (and has a great restaurant) while NB has a smaller indoor taproom, but a lot of outdoor space and a deck over the river. But if the weather is iffy, things might get cramped inside.

Wicked Weed would be good, too, but not sure your thoughts on them after the A-B sale (it probably won't be crowded!). Another would be Catawba on the South Slope, and could hit Buxton Hall afterward.

Highland would be another. Basically I'm thinking of places that would give you some space with the little one.

was out in Astoria this weekend and managed to align our trip (completely by coincidence) with the release of Galaxy Quest, an unfiltered seasonal IPA they put out. it's hoppy and delicious.

Back