• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Cruising Thread

Did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian a couple weeks ago. We added a land portion including a trip to Denali. Got very lucky with the weather and would recommend the trip.

Currently looking at Viking options for 2024. Pretty decent number of their cruises are sold out a year in advance.

There are some ridiculous deals on Antarctica cruises if anyone is interested. I've got access to some heavily discounted rates for a Falkland, South Georgia, Antarctica cruise over New Years, though it is 20 days. A number of our suppliers have discounts on end of year Polar cruises which is not at all usual.

Husky, can you send me some info?

There are some ridiculous deals on Antarctica cruises if anyone is interested. I've got access to some heavily discounted rates for a Falkland, South Georgia, Antarctica cruise over New Years, though it is 20 days. A number of our suppliers have discounts on end of year Polar cruises which is not at all usual.

Send me some info dude. That's a bucket list item for me.

For Antarctica - Quark, Intrepid and G Adventures all have their traditional 10 night cruise for less than $8,000/person, some as low as $5,200/person. For the more mid range ships Oceanwide is about 20-25% off their normal rates - starting around $7,900. And Polar Latitudes is the one I mentioned for the Falklands, S Georgia and Antarctica trip. Their published rates are 30% off for that December 29th departure. Still an expensive trip - but that's always going to be the case. With all of those you'll need international flights, a night in Buenos Aires and the domestic flights down to Ushuaia on top of the cruise.

Star Clipper also has some great deals (65% off) at the moment if you're interested in Caribbean or Costa Rica/Panama/Nicaragua. Their ships are pretty stunning if you like that style.

I didn't notice before but Swan Hellenic also has some really solid rates. They're a step above most companies in terms of service/comfort but have some options under $9k/person. A newer company still trying to build their brand.

Any suggestions for a Caribbean cruiser making their way to Europe? We‘ve taken several 7 day Caribbean cruises but have the chance to take a 12 night from Portsmouth England to Barcelona next year. Hoping for any advice ranging from how many days in advance we really need to get to London, to anything about what to expect on the differences. Thanks

Did an Alaska cruise on Norwegian a couple weeks ago. We added a land portion including a trip to Denali. Got very lucky with the weather and would recommend the trip.

Currently looking at Viking options for 2024. Pretty decent number of their cruises are sold out a year in advance.

My parents booked last month for a Viking Alaska cruise for August 2024.

We're trying to use our free 7 nighter from Royal and have been running into issues with a lack of triple occupancy rooms available. I guess the good news is, it appears that cruising is back in and people are getting out more. However the free offers around the winter months is dwindling compared to last season. Still hoping to snag a trip on Wonder out of Canaveral the week before Christmas. I really wanted to do a 7 night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan, but it doesnt look like the scheduling and financing will work out.

If you're sailing out of Tampa, I can't recommend the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center enough. Near the cruise port, and has a trolly (free) stop directly in front of the hotel. Super convenient.

Wonder dwarfs pretty much any other ship. She was docked beside us in Costa Maya.

Attachments

• 20231220_153209.jpg
    20231220_153209.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 27
If you're sailing out of Tampa, I can't recommend the Embassy Suites Downtown Convention Center enough. Near the cruise port, and has a trolly (free) stop directly in front of the hotel. Super convenient.

Tampa Airport was a revelation.

Wonder dwarfs pretty much any other ship. She was docked beside us in Costa Maya.

I had a choice between Radiance on the left and a wonder class ship (Ovation) for an Alaska cruise next summer and went with the smaller ship. Better itinerary, fewer people, and decently cheaper.

IMG_0271.jpeg

That was the ship we were on (the one in front 😜).

The smaller the better for a cruise in Alaska

Yeah but I have teenagers and making sure they are entertained in case the weather is shit is at least a consideration. I landed on the smaller ship anyway, but definitely put some thought into Ovation as well.

We are going one way from Vancouver to Seward and then spending a week in Alaska. My parents live in Valdez, so we will go there for a weekend, go to Denali for a couple days and then hike Flat Top near Anchorage.

I grew up there and am beyond excited to get my kids out there.

Yeah but I have teenagers and making sure they are entertained in case the weather is shit is at least a consideration. I landed on the smaller ship anyway, but definitely put some thought into Ovation as well.

We are going one way from Vancouver to Seward and then spending a week in Alaska. My parents live in Valdez, so we will go there for a weekend, go to Denali for a couple days and then hike Flat Top near Anchorage.

I grew up there and am beyond excited to get my kids out there.

Nice, a trip exploring the interior is definitely on my bucket list now that I've seen the stuff on the waterways, that sounds awesome you get to do both in one trip. Also TIL you grew up in Alaska!

Back