• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit D&D Thread

That's an offer to dm if I've ever seen one. Thanks!
I absolutely would do this but to call myself a rookie DnD player would suggest an experience level that I do not currently possess.

so far i've seen 3-5 players interested.

while not promising anything I might be able to run a 5e campaign. I would run one of the two starting adventures, Lost Mines of Phandelver if no one has played that or the new Dragon's of Stormwreck Isle. If we end up with more like 6-8 interested i'd suggest two separate games.

I would possibly be in depending on how we'd run it. If it were a dedicated night where we sign in to r20, I'd probably be out. If it was more of a play by post kinda thing, I'd be in.

I am interested in PbP, in theory; i've run some duet (DM with 1 player) sessions via discord/chat and that was pretty fun but i've never managed a full party.

it would solve some temporal logistical problems for everyone, myself included but would def take something away from anyone who has never played before

So far (in this thread) we've got maybes from:

Loki
Gooner
DeacdeTejas
deaconson
WFcatamount22

I am a definitive yes, I would love to play in whatever format

I am interested in PbP, in theory; i've run some duet (DM with 1 player) sessions via discord/chat and that was pretty fun but i've never managed a full party.

it would solve some temporal logistical problems for everyone, myself included but would def take something away from anyone who has never played before
I don't know how this would work buy I'd give it a shot.

Play by Post (PbP) would be playing a chat room version of D&D. DM would describe scenes and resolve actions and Players would type out their 3rd person description and dialogue.

I would recommend using Discord as it's easy/flexible for this sort of thing and has some bots for dice rollers available.

PbP would also provide the ability to play asynchronously, as in scenes can play out over a period of time with players chiming in with their Actions/dialogue as able.

I would possibly be in depending on how we'd run it. If it were a dedicated night where we sign in to r20, I'd probably be out. If it was more of a play by post kinda thing, I'd be in.

loki have you played through Lost Mines of Phandelver?

hm, if we play by post i would encourage participants to chime in roughly as often as they post on the boards, though we'd probably want to all agree on a 'primary active time' so we could all be relatively in-sync (between 10am and 3pm M-F, for example), with the expectation that we'd be playing somewhat/mostly asynchronously.

if we decide to try to play live sessions i would expect 2-3hr session 1x/week or 2x/month

I'd give either a shot but feel like "in person" might be more fun but I haven't played dnd since early high school with my brothers friends.

never done PbP but that seems interesting

Alright, do any DMs have thoughts on speeding up combat without major rule changes? My players are pretty good at thinking ahead and quick decisions but stuff still gets bogged down unless it's a single monster/surround and pound.

Back