• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Hunting Thread

Bounce to see if anyone's up to anything. Going bowhunting this weekend.

My German Shorthair is having his first real hunting season this fall. I am figuring out dog handling and, after some months away at school this summer, he is making great progress with hunting. Today was excellent. He was a quail-finding machine and his points were like something out of a magazine.

I've killed two nice fall gobblers. Good spurs and beards. I decided not to shoot a small buck but I've been tracking a nice 8-point and I think I know where to get him.

So, I think I'm finally about to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on getting my first shotgun. I've wanted one for awhile and some friends and I are going to shoot some clays this weekend. I'd appreciate any advice that anybody has with respect to pump vs. semi-auto.

I'm looking at the Remington 870. While the most frequent use would be for clays, I'd like to be able to use it for actual hunting. Thanks in advance.

So, I think I'm finally about to pull the trigger (no pun intended) on getting my first shotgun. I've wanted one for awhile and some friends and I are going to shoot some clays this weekend. I'd appreciate any advice that anybody has with respect to pump vs. semi-auto.

I'm looking at the Remington 870. While the most frequent use would be for clays, I'd like to be able to use it for actual hunting. Thanks in advance.

Get a semi or over-under. Nothing wrong with a pump, but the modern O/U's and Semi's are so much nicer and more refined. I'm partial to Beretta's myself.

Get a semi or over-under. Nothing wrong with a pump, but the modern O/U's and Semi's are so much nicer and more refined. I'm partial to Beretta's myself.

Thanks. I'm trying to keep costs down on this first one which is what led me to the 870. But, I also subscribe to the school of "buy nice or buy twice"

Last edited:
870. No question. Every man's first shotgun.

Yeah, if you plan to shoot clays with it, I would definitely go with a semiautomatic. Tough to shoot sporting clays with a pump. Any of the B's work: Beretta, Browning, Benelli

Yea, whatever. I still say start with an 870 for $250. Learn to shoot before you spend $2k for a B gun. I outshoot all of my buddies with my 21 year old 870 express mag. I don't worry if it gets pluff mud or saltwater on it. I've had to use it as a boat paddle. Still goes bang when I pull the trigger. Every. Time.

FWIW, Remington, Winchester, and even Mossberg make fine semi autos for a fraction of the price of the B's. Just stay away from Stoger.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from the Berettas or Benellis, but for a first shotgun, you can't beat the versatility, reliability, durability, history, and price of an 870.

Last edited:
Yeah, if you plan to shoot clays with it, I would definitely go with a semiautomatic. Tough to shoot sporting clays with a pump. Any of the B's work: Beretta, Browning, Benelli

Semi-automatic, or over and under. I'd stay away from pump action, unless it's purely for home protection (yes, I know, there are great shooters who love them; I'm just not one of them). I'm a (older model) Browning A-5 guy. Haven't looked in a while, but you could pick up used ones for a decent price a few years ago. I also love the Beretta Xtrema. An 11-87 would be another good option.

shooting clays to be a better hunter then get the 870 and not an o/u.

For a good value on a semi-automatic, take a look at the Stoger. Same basic action as a Benelli but at a significantly lower price point.

For clays, I would prefer an O/U. That is also my preference for quail, pheasant, and a few other game birds. I do prefer a 12 gauge semi-automatic for waterfowl.

Check out a place like Mid-South Guns in Wagram, NC, for some used options if you want to save some money. A used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I - both widely available - would be excellent choices and will hold their value.

"Don't get a pump" is the best advice on here - I had two and got rid of both of them.

They're worthless pieces of shit. My hunting partner has one.

ETA - guess I should expand on that. Benellis and Stogers both are inertia-driven. And, yes, Stoger is a Benelli holding (Benelli purchased sometime in the 200s), but the similarities end there. The actual firearms and actions are very different. I have first hand experience with both. I've witnessed an M3500 misfire, fail to feed, and the bolt get stuck. Their shortcomings are well documented.

If you're looking for a budget semi auto, look at Winchester, Remington, and Mossberg. Folks hate on Mossberg, but my other hunting partner has a 930, and it's been a very reliable workhorse.

I stand by my assessment that a man needs a Remington 870 before any other firearm.

Last edited:
I grew up learning to shoot trap with a Remington Model 1100. It was reliable and would hold five shells, which I thought was fun. We had a Mossberg over/under for doubles that another family used. He liked it.

For a good value on a semi-automatic, take a look at the Stoger. Same basic action as a Benelli but at a significantly lower price point.

For clays, I would prefer an O/U. That is also my preference for quail, pheasant, and a few other game birds. I do prefer a 12 gauge semi-automatic for waterfowl.

Check out a place like Mid-South Guns in Wagram, NC, for some used options if you want to save some money. A used Browning Citori or Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon I - both widely available - would be excellent choices and will hold their value.

"Don't get a pump" is the best advice on here - I had two and got rid of both of them.

I have 5 870s. 4 12 ga. and a 20.
Love em. Never jams and the pump action helps me bring the barrel where I want it.

Back