• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

Oh man, from the linked article:

He seemed to watch Shirk closely when she returned to her apartment following open-heart surgery. “I had a daytime nurse but was alone at night,” she says. “I was on a morphine pump and — though I didn’t realize it — a deadly combination of drugs. I slipped into unconsciousness.” When the phone rang, Ben waited — as he’d been trained to do — for Shirk’s command to answer it rather than to let it ring into the answering machine. But that night, with his owner failing, Ben picked up the receiver without her command, dropped it on the bed and barked and barked. It was Shirk’s father. Realizing something was wrong, her father hung up and called 911. The rescue team told Shirk she wouldn’t have lived through the night.

Link

Edit: And a lighter note, from the article:

One prisoner with a sense of humor returned a dog who — upon hearing the command “Play dead” — lurched, as if shot, staggered across the floor, knelt, got up, buckled, whined piteously and then dramatically collapsed.

Last edited:
Any of those things would put my boy into a murderous rage. The last time he went into his crate, three years ago, he thrashed about like a wild animal and cut his face up pretty bad. It was no bueno.

Do you just put him in the car sans crate to go to the vet?

My Riley cat is actually pretty good about going in his carrier for the car and will be patient for a shorter drive (we've taken him to and from Richmond a number of times and sometimes he stays with my parents' cats while we're on vacation). We bought a leash and tried it on him a couple of times, but he basically flops down and doesn't move. Took him on the porch once but haven't tried the leash in a few years. Of course now we actually let him outside on his own some.

Do you just put him in the car sans crate to go to the vet?

My Riley cat is actually pretty good about going in his carrier for the car and will be patient for a shorter drive (we've taken him to and from Richmond a number of times and sometimes he stays with my parents' cats while we're on vacation). We bought a leash and tried it on him a couple of times, but he basically flops down and doesn't move. Took him on the porch once but haven't tried the leash in a few years. Of course now we actually let him outside on his own some.

He was good in the car when he was younger and we never kept him in his crate, but starting around 6 or 7 years old (he's now 18) he just screamed and generally freaked out. We found that keeping him in his crate seemed to help a little, until #theincident. He will never leave our house alive again. It's too traumatic for everyone involved. And getting him in his crate now requires superhuman strength.

Currently fostering this awesome black lab. He's 6 years old, really well trained (e.g. sits on command, house trained) and really quite sweet. He'd be super easy to care for. For some reason he was abandoned by his owner and was just hours away from being put down because of over crowding at the shelter. I'd actually love to keep him but he is not compatible with back yard chickens and he may be a problem with our two cats... but he gets along great with other dogs and with my kids. If you know anybody on the market for a laid back dog that is easy to care for, let me know!

FullSizeRender.jpg

T59h0x7.jpg

Super serious cheek cut from play time at the park. One ear down because I cleaned it and she wasn't happy with me.

She bumped into a picnic table while running by and trying to tackle another dog. I worry about her head, she's run into a few things while playing.

Took the kitten hiking at Papago this weekend:
ILTg6yS.jpg

Where did you get the doggeh panthers jersey? I think Tux needs one too.

Back