• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

this thread started with a lot of positive things and now it's all sadness leading to the inevitable end. like a wake basketball season

I think we may be a week or so from saying goodbye to Harvey. He's started pooping in the house, and his shaky legs cause him to fall into it every time. I just spent 10 min in the shower washing his ass. Crazy thing is, he's spry as any pup at times, but nearly immobile at others.

Those that had to make the final decision. What factored into it? My animals have always died of other causes, and I've never had to make the choice for them. For once, I have no fucking clue what I should do.

Sorry to hear this man.
We went through this in the fall. It would have been so much easier if he had a tumor or something. But he developed Cushings and secondary diabetes. All hard to diagnose and treat apparently. He eventually was basically blind and running into everything. He'd pee in the house. And when he went out he'd do his business and then just bark for us to come get him because he couldn't find his way back to the house. Despite what I do for work, I was not emotionally ready for the end. I cried. Maybe the first time my kids saw me openly cry. Sobbed with him. Loved him. Ultimately we decided his quality of life was terrible. We know it was the right decision because they'll hang on so long. But damn it I still get sad just thinking about it. Will sure be thinking about you guys. Dogs give us so much more than we give them.

Last edited:
He's 16 1/2, so I know he's had a good, long life. I'm calling the vet tomorrow.
16.5 years.

That is such an amazing run. So many memories. So many snuggles.

This all sucks, of course, but damn. 16 and a half years with a dog is special. And I know you and MrsTSY gave Harv the best life. A dog with a life worth living.

Thank you both for providing that!

He's 16 1/2, so I know he's had a good, long life. I'm calling the vet tomorrow.
Thinking of you guys... it sucks so much.

I still remember making the call with my ex's lab, Jackson. Once he lost control of his bowels/bladder and was obviously distraught at having messed in the house, it was time. He was clearly so upset and confused. We had a vet come to the house and put him down there; it was very calm for everyone (especially Jackson). If that's an option for you, I recommend it.

That sucks Tsy. I was devastated when we had to say goodbye to our 19 year old boy back in 2016. Such are hard decision to make.

On a more positive note, this was our current big boy last night just chillin. Don’t love him on top of the turntable, but he was up there for like 5 hours and didn’t want to move.

e6b7f177fcd058fb3c608c4b65d49b9f.jpg

The goodest of boys right up to the end. He took one final tractor ride, which was always his favorite. He's now comfortably resting on a hill, overlooking a bend in the Yadkin River, a place he often would sit and stare for hours on end.

Attachments

• 20240202_165828.jpg
    20240202_165828.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • FB_IMG_1706916128972.jpg
    FB_IMG_1706916128972.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 30
The goodest of boys right up to the end. He took one final tractor ride, which was always his favorite. He's now comfortably resting on a hill, overlooking a bend in the Yadkin River, a place he often would sit and stare for hours on end.

Aww man. I'm sorry. I know it sucks.

He looks like he was a great dog. I doubt he had a bad day in his entire life.

Our other dog Amber is mourning. She smelled Harvey before I buried him, so she'd know not to wander off looking for him. Since that time, she's been on my lap while in the house, or my side when outside. I certainly don't mind the comfort puppy snuggles.

Attachments

• 20240203_201904.jpg
    20240203_201904.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Since this is where this thread is at now I need to reach out for some help.

My dog (13yo Boxer mix) almost certainly has cancer. Vet said we could go looking for it, but essentially there is nothing they can do. About 4 weeks ago he stopped eating his dog food, and we started making him chicken and rice mixes. about a week ago he stopped eating the chicken, now he only eats steak and salmon pieces I cook for him and hand feed to him.

Question is when do you put him down? I am really struggling with this, he is not soiling the house, but is developing a very concerning weezy cough and the poor guy is all but skin and bones now.

How do you know when the time has come? Is it time now? ugghhhhhhhh

We had this same situation with my poodle 4 years ago and I waiting too long. We actually had called a small animal vet friend to come by the house the t day and that might little Toby and a massive stroke and died in my bed. He stopped eating dog food about two weeks before, so I was giving him noodles and cheese for a few days and then I switched to scrambled eggs and then he stopped that too he went maybe 5 days with out eating anything. I think once he stopped eating all together we should have called it, but we waited almost another week and it was too long.

My dog (13yo Boxer mix) almost certainly has cancer. Vet said we could go looking for it, but essentially there is nothing they can do. About 4 weeks ago he stopped eating his dog food, and we started making him chicken and rice mixes. about a week ago he stopped eating the chicken, now he only eats steak and salmon pieces I cook for him and hand feed to him.

Question is when do you put him down? I am really struggling with this, he is not soiling the house, but is developing a very concerning weezy cough and the poor guy is all but skin and bones now.

The change in eating habits is a big indicator. 😢

Like birdman, we waited too long. The vet told us to factor in two things when making the decision. 1) is he only able to do 50% or less of the things he used to be able to do.
2) is his condition causing a strain on your relationship with him.

If either applies, it's time. It was a hard decision, andi cried more leading up to the time than I have in years, but looking back, I'm certain it was the right decision.

I waited too long as well. I cried like a baby and kept apologizing to her for causing her to suffer. It was traumatizing to me and my other dog.

You've gotten really good advice, so I'm not here to add to it. I do want to say I'm sorry for what you're going through; it's so hard to see them decline.

Back