• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Pet Thread

How’s Harvey doing tsy? Our soon to be 17 year old chihuahua is having similar problems and will just pee on stuff randomly :( She’s doing well though.
His mobility is better on the hardwood floor as long as we keep his nails clipped.

He has to wear the diaper any time he's in the house. We never know when hell have to go. We still have the washable diapers, but also got some disposable ones from Target. The Mrs swears the washables leave her washing machine smelling like pee afterwards.

His mobility is better on the hardwood floor as long as we keep his nails clipped.

He has to wear the diaper any time he's in the house. We never know when hell have to go. We still have the washable diapers, but also got some disposable ones from Target. The Mrs swears the washables leave her washing machine smelling like pee afterwards.

I hear you man. It’s all worth it as long as they are largely healthy and content.

While mowing today I thought of something. The Mrs complains of the pee smell when washing the diapers, but never when washing the pee soaked towels we clean the misses up with. Hmmmm

Harvey turned 16 last month. Took he and Amber to the vet for their annual physicals. Old man Harvster now has a heart murmur and it on a daily med. He hates taking meds unless it's in a hot dog, so we'll see how this goes.

Congrats on his birthday milestone! October 20th marked 17 years since the day my wife got her chihuahua. It’s a really special bond to have a friend that long.

Here to vent a little (and to share how pets are so cool).

My mom was very attached to her dog(s). So much so that when I interned at her church after college for the summer and I introduced myself as her son, the response was, "Oh! we didn't know you had a son. We knew you had a dog, but not a son."

So her last dog was a Westie that she's had for about 15 years. My mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and has rapidly declined in the last year, especially the last 9 months. They dog is getting older and has lost its sight and is not doing super great, but was still a comfort and companion to my mom. We had to move my mom into a memory care facility in October because the Alzheimer's had progressed and her husband couldn't give her the care she needed (and was a little unable/unwilling to try). Within a couple of weeks of my mom moving into the facility, the dog's health completely fell apart and we had to put him down (it really did have the sense that he was holding on just for my mom).

Because of her attachment to the dog and her mental state, we asked the social worker how best to approach it with my mom - should we tell her, should we not, etc. The suggestion was to not directly tell her and just to reaffirm that the dog is well cared for and taken care of. We all talked (me, sister, and mom's husband) that we would follow the social workers advice.

Today - her husband told he that the dog had died, so she's super upset unnecessarily, My sister was able to redirect and hopefully she won't remember, but WTF?

We had the same thing happen but it was a cat that died. My FIL told my MIL and she got very upset. Fortunately she forgot about it the next day and hasn’t brought it up much since that day. Hope it goes well for you.

we had to put our dog down this afternoon. 100% the right course of action. But man. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. Kids took it ok. My wife and I - not so much. Lot of tears for the little guy.

Goddamnit. Our little one was up all night vomiting. Took her to the vet and she has severe kidney failure that is virtually untreatable due to her heart condition. Had to drive to my wife’s office and tell her that she’s going to have to put her best friend down after more than 17 years together.

I think we may be a week or so from saying goodbye to Harvey. He's started pooping in the house, and his shaky legs cause him to fall into it every time. I just spent 10 min in the shower washing his ass. Crazy thing is, he's spry as any pup at times, but nearly immobile at others.

Those that had to make the final decision. What factored into it? My animals have always died of other causes, and I've never had to make the choice for them. For once, I have no fucking clue what I should do.

I think we may be a week or so from saying goodbye to Harvey. He's started pooping in the house, and his shaky legs cause him to fall into it every time. I just spent 10 min in the shower washing his ass. Crazy thing is, he's spry as any pup at times, but nearly immobile at others.

Those that had to make the final decision. What factored into it? My animals have always died of other causes, and I've never had to make the choice for them. For once, I have no fucking clue what I should do.

We always talked about it as quality of life issue. If she was suffering or sick we didn’t want to prolong it. Fortunately or unfortunately the decision was made for us when she was vomiting consistently and they said she was in late stage kidney failure. Just know that there is no right or wrong answer. Good luck and so sorry about the loss of your friend.

Man I hate this for you. When Maya finally neared the end she was similar...her back legs basically gave out and she couldn't lift herself to use the bathroom. It all went downhill over a period of a few weeks, and she was 13. It was hard to let go, but it was an easy decision based on her quality of life.

Back